It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:35 am 

I mean, it's such obvious sour grapes that it's more sad and pathetic than anything.

The next MVC program to approach anything near national relevance will probably be Murray State or Belmont, and then they'll become the new targets of jealous rage from the perennial also-ran programs that will be stuck in the MVC with each other forever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:05 pm 

I don't blame him at all for just being honest about losing some enthusiasm for Loyola...I think we will feel the same way about Dayton if they run off to the Big East in a few years. He goes on to say he's rooting for us, so I think we're misdirecting the hate a little bit. There's not a lot of Loyola content out there, and I'm happy to take what I can get. Hopefully, the A-10 has broader media coverage than just a couple random bloggers/podcasters.

However, you guys are right about the parts of the MVC fanbases. I'm not from the midwest and in 10 years of living in Chicago, I pretty much regret every time I had to leave the city limits. While the short drives are nice for those of you in Chicago, I never thought Loyola fit with the other schools in the MVC. If I were a player or recruit, I'd be excited that our road games will mostly consist of trips to major cities now instead of Carbondale and Cedar Falls. I remember going to Peoria to play Bradley and feeling like I had traveled back in time 30 years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:06 pm 

He had some other comments, both on his blog and his posting as an individual. We do not control how much TV time channels devote to Sr. Jean, and we are not going to hide her from view. This has been week after week, like he was trying to create a groundswell of anti Loyola feeling, not just "being honest."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:32 pm 

I can understand how the guy feels about our leaving the MVC. I still bear a degree of antipathy toward Dayton, Evansville, Marquette, and St. Louis who abandoned the MCC in the early 90's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:22 pm 

JC, me too but add Xavier and Butler. Once Sullivan left we were lost until Porter. I was jealous of all of those teams that went on to some level of relevancy. The dark years lost in the wilderness make this current run most enjoyable and unexpected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:24 pm 

Yes 88, I forgot about Xavier. Butler, at least, stuck it out for a couple of decades until the Horizon League proved that it was going nowhere.
I too am enjoying the recent success. I feel that it took too long though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:42 am 

We are in a completely new era of college sports. Conferences are fluid and schools would be foolish to show sentimental loyalty.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:53 pm 

Mertz2003 wrote:
I don't blame him at all for just being honest about losing some enthusiasm for Loyola...I think we will feel the same way about Dayton if they run off to the Big East in a few years. He goes on to say he's rooting for us, so I think we're misdirecting the hate a little bit. There's not a lot of Loyola content out there, and I'm happy to take what I can get. Hopefully, the A-10 has broader media coverage than just a couple random bloggers/podcasters.

However, you guys are right about the parts of the MVC fanbases. I'm not from the midwest and in 10 years of living in Chicago, I pretty much regret every time I had to leave the city limits. While the short drives are nice for those of you in Chicago, I never thought Loyola fit with the other schools in the MVC. If I were a player or recruit, I'd be excited that our road games will mostly consist of trips to major cities now instead of Carbondale and Cedar Falls. I remember going to Peoria to play Bradley and feeling like I had traveled back in time 30 years.

This more-or-less sums up my feelings. I don't have hate for Loyola and I never have. I rooted HARD for you on the Final Four and Sweet 16 runs, as I would for any MVC school. I had to explain to my friends who were fans of P5 schools why I wanted a team in my league to win, because they hate all the other schools in their teams' leagues. The Valley is a league that is not always a one-bid league, but it is a league whose members are reliant on others in part to for their own success. It has made us a fraternity of sorts, and somewhat unique among college basketball leagues (I would imagine the A-10 is one of the few that is similar, along with the Mountain West and maybe the AAC and West Coast Conference). We root for each other.

But you all aren't going to be in it any more. That just is what it is. I get why Loyola left. The school is more of a national brand as opposed to the regional brands that litter the MVC. And as a Jesuit school, you fit in better with the schools in the A-10. It makes sense on many levels and Loyola's profile fits in well in the A-10. As I've said before, an amicable breakup is still a breakup. You move on. If you think it is anything more than that, I promise you, it truly is not.

If you all think I have this agenda against Loyola you are reading way too much into it. And I can't speak for others but if you think the majority of MVC fans have had it out for Loyola during the entirety of your membership I think you're nuts. Most MVC fans I interact with, at least, very much enjoyed the fact that Crayton's replacement was in many ways better than Crayton during their run in the Valley. Honestly, you were probably my favorite MVC team other than my alma mater due to your success. I am sure there were the occasional fans that harbored some sort of grudge against ya'll for whatever reason. But I really don't think it was anywhere close to the majority. Just look at the reaction on Twitter last year when you beat Illinois for an example.

The Loyola-MVC partnership was, I think, a very beneficial one for both parties. I'm not trying to be insulting or trash talk here, but it is a fact you all were pretty bad for several decades leading up to your time in the MVC. The Valley gave you a better platform and you took advantage of it, and became the best program in the league in the last 5 years. It propelled you to a new league that is a better fit and will give you an opportunity for even more success. Meanwhile, the league added more Final Fours and deep NCAA runs to its resume, staying in the national spotlight and in position to pick up quality programs like Belmont (who until recently was resistant to joining the league) and Murray to replace Loyola when they left. Seems like a win-win to me.

But you all will feel what you feel. My last article for this year is below. I wont bother ya'll anymore after this. Sincere best of luck to you in the A-10.

https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/post ... l-thoughts

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6