It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Open Practice
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:05 am 

Anderson & TY not participating in drills, TY has a huge boot on his left foot.

Post subject: Re: Open Practice
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:29 pm 

Not seeing those two play at all was disappointing. It was interesting watching Drew coach up TY in particular while he was on the bench. It always struck me that Moser would really only focus on guys who were active during practice.

In the scrimmage, Lucas was a beast. I thought Chris Knight and R. Schwieger both seemed to fit in really well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:56 pm 

How did Saint Thomas look? Pundits are high on him

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:00 pm 

Dansen wrote:
How did Saint Thomas look? Pundits are high on him

I thought he looked all right except for getting blown by on defense a couple times.

Marquise looked strong too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:07 pm 

Ty Johnson rolled an ankle...does not sound serious......Anderson injury, undetermined
Word is that Klintman is down to Loyola and Maryland with his high school coach pushing Maryland.
While the the incoming freshman looked good and I think will be really solid...would be surprised to see them in the regular rotation this year. Schweiger the freshman was impressive and a way better athlete than I anticipated but still needs to be stronger physically. Thomas has really good size and athleticism and with out the returning graduates would probably get a lot of time.THere is still a month but they looked lost defensively and offensively while still looking like skilled players. Dont know about Ty didnt see him play but Coach spent a lot of time talking to him. Tate Hall I thought stole the show. was really solid from 3 and took the ball to the hoop with authority and strength....guess who hit 3 out of 4 , 3s Uguak!!!!!!!!!!....Looked like we did more isolation 1 on 1 than I remember. Curious to me will be how the 3 headed center works out....It seems Chris Knight is the #1 as of now...but he is not that big...6'7 and got backed down by Hutson,,none of the 3 looked very good offensively from the high post.doing the old Krutwig . Hutson looked a little awkward ....I thought Welch looked the best of the 3 but he appeared to be last on the totem pole...There are some awfully good centers in the Valley , am curious how we will do there this year. Ryan Schwieger the transfer seemed real solid and I be is in the rotation...skill wise reminded me of Tate Hall. Marquis Kennedy put on a show at times, NOrris could not handle him...He also was 2 for 2 from 3 I think and looks stronger.
My gut says we will see WIlliamson, Uguak, Hall, Clemons, Kennedy, Knight, Hutson, Schweiger the Transfer and Norris... With Welch and Johnson maybe getting some minutes..
But they should be fun to watch....I think they are going to push the offensive pace and Brot will be glad there will be no oxen ball.
OOps I forgot...they played a lot of 3/4 court 1-2-2 press....conservatively but played it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:38 am 

Thanks for the detailed scouting report, Nate!

I think you're probably right that the freshmen won't get a lot of minutes this season. I hope they were apprised of this during their recruitment. Don't want any transfers for lack of expected playing time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:39 am 

Thanks, nate! I agree with a lot of what you said. Tate looked confident. And I said to someone that Ryan Schwieger played a little like a right handed Tate Hall.

There was some 1 on 1 play, but I wonder how much was matchup driven. E.g. the first couple of plays, Schwieger backed down Norris. I think it was similar on the other end at times.

And it's a great point about the other centers in the Valley. We will need 15-20 good minutes from Hutty night in and night out because of his size advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:01 am 

natetheskate wrote:
Word is that Klintman is down to Loyola and Maryland with his high school coach pushing Maryland.

Intriguing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:02 am 

natetheskate wrote:
Schweiger the freshman was impressive and a way better athlete than I anticipated

Oh?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:06 pm 

jmiller2794 wrote:
natetheskate wrote:
Schweiger the freshman was impressive and a way better athlete than I anticipated

Oh?

Isn’t he the kid who played volleyball as well as basketball? Not surprising he’d be athletic, but also need to put on some basketball weight