It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Open Practice
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:54 pm 

Just curious to get anyone's thoughts. I had to leave a couple minutes into the scrimmage. Things I noticed:

- Kennedy didn't participate.
- Team looks bigger overall. Not sure if this is true but I think we have several guys in the 6-6 to 6-8 range. Definitely need it in the A10.
- Sheldon Edwards has two bad turnovers
- From a skills perspective I thought Trey Lewis really stood out among the freshmen/newcomers.
- Hutty looked physically a lot better.
- Welch looked great, too. I hope he has a good season.

Post subject: Re: Open Practice
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:44 pm 

According to the Twitters, Kennedy had a knee scoped and is sidelined for two months. That would mean he should be back before the season starts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:28 pm 

It was great to see this new rambler team in action. No question that we are much bigger - And no question that we are much more athletic. Both Hutson and Thomas are noticeably slimmer. And several players - particularly Ben Schweiger - have bulked up. Some thoughts:

The 2 standouts to me - at least relative to expectations- where Schwieger and Quinn. Great to see both being so aggressive. Quinn didn’t finish many shots (and his outside shot is very awkward ). But he was able to create space and create shots for himself and for others. Very impressive. Schweiger flashed the ability to score inside and out. Had a beautiful baseline move for a dunk. He’s a legit 6’7 - long arms and quick jumper . Very excited about his potential.

Thought Alston struggled a little bit - particularly on defense. But you could certainly see his explosiveness.

Saint was was not only leaner - but somehow seemed a little talker too. Had a nice game - played aggressively - but I did notice a few defensive lapses reminiscent of last season. .

Golden started a little slow but eventually flashed a lot of offense. What a great pick up.

Edwards did make the 2 bad passes (both steals by Quinn btw). But had 3 very nice assists in the first few minutes before that. Seemed to have a nice chemistry with Braden.

Overall - a very impressive and athletic group. I left feeling pretty good about the next 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:15 am 

Been waiting for an opportune time to post this:

BEN SCHWIEGER = GORDON HAYWARD 2.0

Last edited by swellafelon on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:34 am 

After attending the Loyola open practice yesterday, someone better call the A10 and let them know Loyola is gonna be a problem!

My guy Sloth got it right. This is a bigger, stronger, quicker, and more athletic team than we have had.

Other thoughts:

1. Of the 3 true freshman, Quinn was the most advanced. He has a great handle, good quickness, and a very mature looking game for a Freshman. Good defensive instincts as well. I am not worried about his offense, he scored over 2K points in HS. I look for him to get the most minutes of the three.

2. Ben looked great. He looked stronger and he took advantage of the redshirt year. He was quick, explosive off the floor and aggressive. He is long and quick and can be a good perimeter defender in our system.

3. Bryce is gonna fit in well. Runs the floor well, can score inside and out. He will be a weapon and give the ability to play our high post offense again.

4. Welch looked good as well. He's been here for 4 years now and this should be the year he plays and has a big impact. Would love to see him get some minutes with Bryce.

5. Finally, this team could be nasty in transition.

Nice picture of team and some former players present yesterday.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yvVr8XK5pUXFXA1i6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:29 pm 

Awesome pic. And great reports from everyone. How did you all hear about this event? Was it for season ticket holders only? I am a donor to the program but not a season ticket holder. Did not hear anything about an open practice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:47 pm 

2011 - Yes, it was advertised for season ticket holders.

swella - I could barely read your post, but I agree that Schwieger looks impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:37 pm 

I changed color from gold to maroon. Much more readable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:06 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
2011 - Yes, it was advertised for season ticket holders.

swella - I could barely read your post, but I agree that Schwieger looks impressive.

Thanks. Fairly annoying. I don't buy season tickets as I can only make it to 3 or 4 games per year and would rather not have to scramble to sell or give away my tickets (or end up with two empty seats). I donate directly the equivalent of purchasing a season ticket package so it would be nice to get some perks for that. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:01 pm 

a lot of the discussion at the golf outing,,chit chatting with members of the staff and others that had attended the open practice were pretty much along the same line,,,lots of athleticism, everyone was buying in, but some were having a hard time picking up on the defense.