It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: NIL
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:40 pm 

Today's New York Times has a lengthy article on NIL, focused on football. The average starter on a major college football team earns $103,000 a year, and one star player makes $750,000. The rules prohibit NIL from being used as a recruiting tool, but the rules are frequently violated. I am sure basketball has similar issues. It is a mess.

Post subject: Re: NIL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:14 pm 

An AD's perspective on NIL
After listening to this I am convinced that we are in new times.
Probably putting it mildly

Uhm, where does this leave our Ramblers?
Begins at 12:45 or so and AD goes on for a good 20 minutes talking NIL and related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhD7wBSTXj8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:20 am 

The part about not being able to use NIL as a recruiting tool no longer applies. Since the October post stuff has changed it really is the wild , wild West.. It seems like Loyola is going to follow the Northwestern football plan which is to not use NIL money to recruit unproven freshman but use it to keep veterans and bring in portal and graduate transfers that have proven experience. Although NU will have exceptions for incoming freshman who they consider to be sure keepers. Which makes me feel even better about the two recent commitments. I am guessing that technically We could become a university affiliated booster club and start offering deals to kids to come to LU....I think this is far from settled and it will be a year or two b4 common sense and better guidelines are established..But as it says in the Declaration of Independence " Money Talks"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 773044007/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:39 am 

In terms of the have and have nots with NIL or "Collectives" think of this:

Purdue has 4 walk on players this year. Each walk on will receive $50k for the 23'24 season. Edey is making over $2m alone so I suppose that would mean that Purdue bball has a Collective budget of $5m give or take.

I'm not sure how this plays out for mid-majors. I think Loyola's plan makes a ton of sense. Try to use the $ to keep your players at home as they prove their value after a year or 2 in the program.

This stuff is beginning to make me long for days of duffle bags of cash and $100 handshakes for players.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:15 am 

It is reported that the potential #1 pick in the NFL draft, Caleb Williams, got 2 million this year and total
worth of 10 million...although not the average shows the kind of crazy money is being thrown around..Makes you think about how important sports have become in our daily lives. Interesting

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:48 am 

Heard anecdotally earlier this week that the Creighton NIL collective had a $3 million dollar budget for the men’s basketball team this year.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but NIL is still pretty restricted for international students as they’re to typically in country on an F1 student visa that limits how much, and in what fields, they can “work”. Even Edey apparently had to do most of his stuff while in Canada and I remember a few years ago Kentucky doing a trip to the Bahamas so Oscar Tshibwe could do some NIL work there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:15 pm 

wonder if that has any connection to us signing two foreign born players???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:02 pm 

Miles Rubin will have options after this season to play for $200k-$500k per season at P6 level. We better make it rain on Keepers of the Culture. Drew's "my buddy, my funny pal Rubin" bit won't help his family or finances like other institutions will be offering.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:58 pm 

I could be wrong - often am - but I think Miles needs a big jump forward in his play for the 24/25 season before he sees that type of $$.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:58 pm 

The real NIL concern with Miles should be getting him a free second and third helping of chicken at the Albion chipotle.