It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 am 

440Rambler wrote:
I really do think we're getting ahead of ourselves here, this team was dead last a year ago. We may finish 3rd or 4th in the A10. Now its possible Drew gets the Kim English treatment and does two years as an A10 HC and jumps to the Big East but I think it unlikely. It seems more likely he stays this year, and hopes for success in the coming few including Championships and tournament appearances before being considered for serious P5 jobs.

He'll have options this year.

He's already being mentioned nationally as a hot candidate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:06 am 

1. With a contract through 2027 whether he has options this year may depend on the details of his contract.
2. I dont think Drew would have a chance at a jump to a P5 conference at this point. As people have said his resume is not strong enough yet. However there might be another mid-major with deep pockets. There are many schools that have a donor or two that can raise the ante.
3. We need a sugar daddy,
4. Funny how in early December we were kinda calling for his head.
5. Agree that Michigan St. would be his dream job. I wonder if any of the Michigan MAC schools would be in play for him ? He seems to have a loyalty to his home state.
6. I keep thinking of Porter wearing a cowboy hat and waiting for the tornadoes to come....staring at maga signs as he drives to work.....counting his money......dreaming of a cold Bud at Bruno's.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:54 am 

contract doesn't matter. You can't make him work, nor do you want to. At most there is a buyout but it has to be a pittance to a bigger school. It's really not a matter of if he will have a chance to move. He will certainly be called for interviews and I suspect his representation has already received inquiries.

from his perspective, you never know what next year brings. As quickly as he has become a hot name, he can be back to a hot seat. We lose a lot at the end of this year. Next year's team may take time to gel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:21 pm 

maybe I'm wrong and a big time job will come calling after 2 years and he'll bolt...but he isn't in the realm of Ohio State, Louisville etc. at the moment.

and lets also be honest with ourselves, he's not going to another mid major especially a football first school like any of the MAC schools.

If McDermott leaves Creighton for one of the big boy jobs that's an opening that scares me, if Sean Miller leaves Xavier for a P5 school that opening scares me... none of the other Big East jobs will be open besides DePaul and hes not taking that gig. If Mark Few decides the NIL era isn't for him, Gonzaga would scare me but I don't see that happening.

It seems much more likely to me that he comes back with Des, Jayden, Miles, Sheldon, the top 100 recruits and tries to build his resume into a legit option for Power 5 Openings...and if that happens all the better for us because we saw some really good basketball.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:49 pm 

If McDermott leaves it would be interest. That job would set up an interesting situation. Porter would be on their radar as would Drew. Could you imagine both of them vying for that job. Creighton is a basketball school with deep donor pockets, in P5 conference. Porter played there. It's a better job than Oklahoma and the way they have fallen off, OK might be glad to see Porter go elsewhere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:05 pm 

I don't really get "Oklahoma has fallen off" narrative. I guess their fans are pissy, but that just goes with the territory.

Last 10 KenPom ratings (2015-2024): 11, 10, 65, 48, 32, 36, 39, (porter era) 30, 54, 36.

When they were top 10 caliber, they had Buddy Hield.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:22 pm 

Agree, it’s a perception thing. I don’t think OK has gone downhill, but the B12 top to bottom has improved a ton, so the less educated fans just see that parity with everyone below the KU/Baylor/ echelon in recent years that they seem themselves getting to

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:51 pm 

Dansen wrote:
Agree, it’s a perception thing. I don’t think OK has gone downhill, but the B12 top to bottom has improved a ton, so the less educated fans just see that parity with everyone below the KU/Baylor/ echelon in recent years that they seem themselves getting to

Right. Same reason I don't get the "Porter will get killed in the SEC" narrative.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:36 pm 

Huh. They were ranked 10th at one point. They have dropped out of the AP without receiving a single vote. They just dropped out of the USA Coaches poll and received only 1 vote. I would classify that as fallen off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:29 pm 

I think this thread has wandered a bit off topic which is "Recruiting: Class of 2024."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next