It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:01 pm 

Seemingly overlooked by all, LU’s 6'11" 250 lb., starting center pulled down 15 rebounds in 15.4 minutes. LU hasn’t seen rebounding like that in over 20 years. He was also 3-6 from the floor like LU’s other 2 centers.

Power forward/center Tom Welch also had a great night, along with LU’s starting guards, Braden Norris (6 assists & 0 turnovers) and Jalen Quinn (with 20 points & 3 steals). Not to be forgotten was another good game by power forward Philip Alston with 18 points & 10 rebounds in 22 minutes.

With the play of Quinn & Norris at guard & the hopeful return of Kennedy & Edwards, LU guards look like they may be ready for the season.

With big men Hutson, Ashton, Welch, & Golden in the system we seem to be ready underneath.

Hopefully our forwards Saint Thomas, Schwieger, & others will be brought up to speed shortly by our talented, former forward coach.

Go Ramblers!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:28 pm 

I put zero weight on that. Calumet College lost to Huntington by 60 the day before. Getting rebounds against them was not overlooked. It was discounted. Hutson looked terrible. Welch is going to have a really good year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:52 am 

Calumet had no one over 6'6 and that was exaggerated. This was not apples and apples. FDU has one 6'6 kid and one 6'7. So hard to determine what the centers can do. Welch just seems to do the little things correct. Having said that looked like Hutson had made some incremental improvements.
Concerning about Norris is that Coach played him almost the whole game...granted Kennedy and Edwards were out.
I thought Quinn and Dawson were the bright spots in that they both looked ready to play for freshman.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:09 am 

I don't think Hutson looked terrible, but agree with others that Welch was much quicker to get shots up around the basket.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:29 am 

Not to mention, when you miss that many shots (like both teams did), there's going to be more rebounds. They gotta go to someone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:43 am 

I would agree with Mudville21 that LU should be giving Hutson more playing time in preparation for the full size centers in the Atlantic 10. Even WGB’s short 6-8 center Cade Meyer scored 15 against us as it was.

In the last 4 games, Saint Thomas committed only 1 turnover in each & he was been helping out our point guards in bringing the ball up court. Against DePaul he led us in rebounding with 8 and against Central Arkansas he led us in assists with 7. His talent is increasing with time & minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:03 pm 

Saint has decreased his TOs lately. The issue is he hasn't figured out what type of player he is. Originally, he was playing like a wing shooter, except he's not that good a shooter. He does have decent size. . He looks more like a weak side forward that should be crashing the boards, distributing the ball and cleaning up some garbage down low. He could be valuable in that role. He's like many of our guts right now. They are trying to find their places and roles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:04 am 

Adding to JCT’s thoughts:

“I think there's no reason for Hutson to leave, and I don't know why people think he will. He's invested a lot in this program, and vice versa. It's hard to imagine coach not having a lot of confidence in him after Saturday's performance (not to mention great minutes against URI). Per 40 minutes, he's our 6th best scorer, 3rd best rebounder, and tied for best shot blocker. If he has two more years after this, he could be a 20+ mpg player next year and a focal player in the league in his final season. Hutty and Rubin on the court together could be the best rim protection in the league.”

I would also add Philip Alston to the “rim protection” group.

In addition to JCT’s per 40 minute numbers,
Hutson has been LU’s best 2 point shooter (75%) & best 3 point shooter (100%).

I hope he will be back next year & that the coach will make a commitment to use him & not emphasizing his failed “run & gun” game that kept Hutson on the bench & over-used our only 2 small guards Norris (over 37 minutes per game) & multiplie-injured Kennedy.

We may have 4 solid big men next year (centers Ruben & Hutson and forwards Alston & Welch). Hopefully we will use them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:54 pm 

The NCAA’s top field goal shooter last year was Rice’s (who beat Duquesne in the CBI tournament)
6-11 Max Fiedler whose FG% was 73.5%, who played 1063 minutes.
Jacob Hutson shot better than the best, 79.2% but only played 148 minutes.

I am happy for Hutson that he is transferring to Northern Iowa where he will have a coach who may use him & he will give Wes Rubin a chance to play his regular forward position.

Hopefully, Coach Valentine will be more successful next year with his run & gun coaching style with Miles Rubin at center and 12 other players that he will want & use.