It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:39 pm 

Well, it looks like Wes got over the slight in record time. :oops:

Don't know much about the Rubin twins, but offhand I'd say their commitment signals that Brock Harding is no longer in play.

Joe Henricksen article on the Rubin commitment:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/6/21/ ... all-simeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 pm 

I don't know that much about the Rubin twins but it seems like these were two huge gets! I expected we might hit the transfer portal for a big to replace Golden who could step in and start right away, so I wonder if these commits change that. I expect they won't be able to step in and play 30 min a game as true freshmen, so I hope we still find an upperclassman to start at center. Two huge potential guys to kick off the class though!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 pm 

Miles Rubin now becomes the highest-ranked recruit Loyola has signed in the internet era according to 247.

Miles, a 4-star, is ranked 126th nationally. For the record, Bobi Klintman was 178th by the same ranking. So, Miles is obviously a massive get. It would stand to reason that his strong commitment to the school, and likely playing with his brother, scared away Power 5 programs. Miles' trademarks are his elite defense and athleticism, his best trait is his shot-blocking ability. He's already grown 2 inches this year and now stands 6 foot 9. He's expected to play center and would likely be a day 1 starter.

Unlike his twin, Wes Rubin is a considerably smaller prospect. He's not given any stars by 247 and wasn't even in their database until he committed to Loyola. His trademarks are his off-the-court intangibles. He recently won the AC Williamson award, given out the player most outstanding in sportsmanship, leadership, hustle, and exemplary behavior. Wes is not athletic like his brother, but tries to make up for that was his jump shot. He mostly takes mid-range shots, but is working to add a 3-pointer to his game.

In reality, this seems like Loyola bit the bullet on Wes to get a potential NBA-level talent in Miles into the program. It's a bold strategy, we'll see if it pays off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:18 pm 

Also from 247:

"The Rubin twins make for Valentine’s first two commitments in the Ramblers’ 2023 recruiting class. Now the staff plans to focus on the backcourt as they are prioritizing three-star grassroots teammates Brock Harding and Ty Pence."

Though it is worth mentioning that 247 is predicting that Harding signs with Iowa. So, all eyes should probably be on Ty Pence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:19 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Well, it looks like Wes got over the slight in record time. :oops:

Don't know much about the Rubin twins, but offhand I'd say their commitment signals that Brock Harding is no longer in play.

Joe Henricksen article on the Rubin commitment:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/6/21/ ... all-simeon

In fairness I think treating them as individuals instead of just offering both is a plus - they're different players after all and it's only fair to them to value them as such. Also per 247 we're prioritizing Harding and Pence - would be a stellar class: https://247sports.com/Article/Miles-Rub ... 189009706/

And worth noting Wes Rubin had offers from Depaul, ISU, SIU, Toledo, Akron, and others. In terms of tracking offers 247 isn't the best - verbal commits is a better option!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:11 pm 

Ramblers41 wrote:
I don't know that much about the Rubin twins but it seems like these were two huge gets! I expected we might hit the transfer portal for a big to replace Golden who could step in and start right away, so I wonder if these commits change that. I expect they won't be able to step in and play 30 min a game as true freshmen, so I hope we still find an upperclassman to start at center. Two huge potential guys to kick off the class though!

You never know with the transfer portal these days, but ideally that’s Hutty’s spot. By then it would be year 4 for him. Although it’ll be tough to match up against Miles’s natural ability

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:37 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
Anyone else seeing the "Tweet may contain sensitive content" warning on these graphics? I assume it's because of the L that looks like a huge pen*s? I've gently pointed this out before...

That's hilarious. I was wondering why these images weren't showing for me. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:23 pm 

Great job by the staff securing these commitments. I think both will be excellent players for the Ramblers and they show the Chicago pipeline is still alive--first CPS commitments since Lucas, right?

Miles has legit pro potential with his size and athleticism. I think he will be a day one starter. Will be interesting to see if he can develop an outside shot and some handles.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 am 

Just an observation here, don't read too much into it, but I wonder if Drew has carved out a recruiting niche of sorts based on his personal background.

Of the five high school commitments he's secured in his two years as head coach, four are of mixed race heritage, having, like Drew, a black father and white mother. The exception is Treyvon Lewis.

Discuss.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:25 am 

I'm not really into the idea of discussing the racial make up of our teams players and families.

I think its more likely that Drew's age (and the rest of the staff for that matter) and relatability as a younger man is more impactful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next