It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: THE REAL QUESTIONS
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:36 am 

I am for one very disappointed that Porter left. I, like Brot, thought PM was loyal to Loyola in terms of what he represented as a person and what LU represented as an institution and community. But am usually disappointed when i put my chips in that basket. So now the question is do I still go to games and support the BBALL team? Well I have not missed a year of attending at least three games since 1963 so I will continue to go. I remember one game, which we lost, to St. Peters. There could not have been 300 people in the stands.This was Jim Whitesells last year. They had some players on the team I really liked, Andy Polka was one of my favorites for just how hard he played. But I remember discussing with a friend that maybe it was time for LU to go Division III. Then we have had this great run under PM and now he is gone...leaving us once again facing the great unknown. My first question is not how will the new coach do but whether the fans will continue to come to the games to support the team? For me , I loved the titles and the NCAA appearances, but the increased attendance and game day atmosphere was the #1 thing that occurred under PM's reign. It to me represented a gathering of the tribe, the community and the things LU stood for. Now there may be a lot of fans who were there for different reasons, but here is my question, Will we still go to the games to support the Ramblers through thick and thin? There are a lot of things I hate in this world but fair weather fans are darn near at the top of the list. I am a Rambler, and that means going to the games and rooting for Andy Polka even though he could not jump over a phone book. Will we fill Gentile Arena next year?
Porter had the ability to get us pumped up and involved...I am guessing that this is not Drew Valentines strong suite. So how do WE as fans help [b]to keep the momentum going?[/b] So as 25 mentioned PM leaving was like getting dumped,,by a seriously cute girl. So lets hope the girl we were really attracted to was LU and the things it stands for.

Post subject: Re: THE REAL QUESTIONS
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 am 

I understand your concerns about the program, but as an Alum - it does not matter - I will follow them in any event. With that said, it's better when they win.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:53 am 

If we get most of the roster and recruits to stay, which right now that looks to be the case, I think there is a very, very good chance the ball keeps rolling. Remember where we start next year: the Battle 4 Atlantis. Pull off even one win, and people are buzzing. Pull off a few or more wins...look out. And I think it’s very possible we get one or more wins.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 am 

I am a fan of the school, the program, and the team. I am a fan of the student-athletes who put on the maroon and gold, and whoever coaches the sidelines. When it was PM, I was a fan. He is no longer here and I do not care about him or anything he says anymore. For players and coaches, it is always next man up. Hopefully the team can continue its trajectory of success in recent years; if not, so be it. I will still support them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:02 am 

m52 wrote:
I am a fan of the school, the program, and the team. I am a fan of the student-athletes who put on the maroon and gold, and whoever coaches the sidelines. When it was PM, I was a fan. He is no longer here and I do not care about him or anything he says anymore. For players and coaches, it is always next man up. Hopefully the team can continue its trajectory of success in recent years; if not, so be it. I will still support them.

Agreed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:11 am 

ME TOO !!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:29 am 

I think for the majority of this board, it doesn’t matter that PM left as far as loyalty.

I think for the students and Chicago media, continuing to win and having more of those marquee games is the answer. The average student won’t care who the coach is as much as they care if the games are fun and Loyola is winning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:38 am 

Dansen wrote:
I think for the majority of this board, it doesn’t matter that PM left as far as loyalty.

I think for the students and Chicago media, continuing to win and having more of those marquee games is the answer. The average student won’t care who the coach is as much as they care if the games are fun and Loyola is winning.

Agreed, that's a common trend for any sports team. However I'm confident people will show up next season. The team is coming off of a sweet 16 appearance, and nobody was able to go to a game this season. I can't wait to get season tickets for the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:46 am 

My group will be renewing our block, we had the tickets before PM and we will continue to have them. This is our school and our team, not Porters. Am I grateful that we had some great teams with him at the helm? Certainly! But that's not the bedrock of fandom, or at least it shouldn't be.

The players seem to be bought into Valetine on social media, the important player alums are still as energized and engaged with the program as they were before. Drew is going to be able to bring some excitement to the team as well with his connections across basketball. It will be great to get back into Gentile and Brunos next fall and cheer the boys on nothing about this week changed that. AMDG forever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:51 am 

I have spent the past couple days kind of mourning. I have now put Porter in my rear view mirror and am 100% behind coach Valentine and I going to increase my season tickets from 2 to 4. Go Ramblers!