It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Glad its over
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:46 pm 

First of all, Congratulations to Coach Moser on his new job! He brought Loyola to the top of the mid majors under very trying circumstances. He did this with his hardwork and force of personality.

I wish him and his family all the success in the world. THEY ARE A CLASS FAMILY.

That said, I am glad he has moved him. Since he could not fulfill his dream at Loyola he should move on to where he thinks he can.
I can see Oklahoma being in the Sweet 16 or better every year. His destiny is his to fulfill without a one bid league to hold him back.
He no longer wants to dance with us, so that is his choice. Loyola gave him a chance to resurrect his career. I know he is grateful to Loyola for that

However, it became apparent after the Final Four that he found the view at the top exhilarating (who could blame him) and he was not really happy.
We as alums had to live with this drama year after year. It did take time and attention and some joy away.
It was a drama that I can now live without.

Drew will do just fine. I asked him about a head coaching job two years ago at an alumni event. He said he was not ready.
I could see in the last two years how he has developed and has much more confidence. i KNOW he is now ready.

He will do well and the Loyola success will continue.

SO GLAD ITS OVER AND WE CAN SETTLE IN AND LOOK TO A BRIGHT FUTURE.

Post subject: Re: Glad its over
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:55 pm 

[quote="25yearstreak"]However, it became apparent after the Final Four that he found the view at the top exhilarating (who could blame him) and he was not really happy./quote]

I don't fault the guy for wanting to move up. I don't fault the guy for wanting more money.

But don't go out there preaching "All in" and "Don't run from happiness" if you're not happy.

If, in fact, he wasn't happy, all his talk was disingenuous garbage. If that was the case, then I do fault him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:06 pm 

I can’t really disagree with this. I think he was happy in many ways here, but I think he felt a bigger weight of expectations than we might think, because of how tough it is to get a bid from this conference. The 8 seed, IMHO, was one of the final nails in that feeling.

It may just be coincidence and natural aging, but while going through pictures from 3-4 years ago and looking at pictures from this year, he honestly looked to me like he’s aged 10-15 years since 2018. I wish him the best, but we’re also in a great position going forward.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:10 pm 

GoRamblers wrote:
25yearstreak wrote:
However, it became apparent after the Final Four that he found the view at the top exhilarating (who could blame him) and he was not really happy./quote]

I don't fault the guy for wanting to move up. I don't fault the guy for wanting more money.

But don't go out there preaching "All in" and "Don't run from happiness" if you're not happy.

If, in fact, he wasn't happy, all his talk was disingenuous garbage. If that was the case, then I do fault him.

I think every college basketball coach, including Porter, has some car salesman in them (some more than others). They say the right things to sell themselves, to sell the program.

At the end of the day, it is a business. And in any business, if you're offered the same position at a different, more prestigious company with more money and resources, it is very difficult to say no--even if you really did like your current company.

I do think Porter liked it here. I do think he was happy. But at the same time, he was frustrated with some aspects and wanted the challenge of the "next step." His "don't run from happiness" and "all in" lines were just the right things to say at the time to sell himself and the program.

I hope he finds what he is looking for at Oklahoma. Whatever that is. His contributions to the program won't be forgotten, but neither will the fact that he left LU for a perceived better gig.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:24 pm 

I'm glad it's over in insofar as it was time to shit or get off the pot.

Let's go Coach Drew!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:44 pm 

Good post 25.

Lot of feelings by all of us here the past few days. No one can blame Porter for the decision he made, just think we are all disappointed. The “Culture Created”, “All In”, “don’t run from happiness”, a book by him after the 2018 run etc, etc, does feel a bit hollow now that he has left. Understandable, but it feels used car salesmany. Porter did a lot for the school and program, and we should be happy and excited for the trajectory of where the program is heading.

Thinking about all this reminds me of when I was younger and prior to becoming a Rambler. I was a big KU fan when Roy Williams was there. He left after saying he was going to stay and I remember feeling betrayed by that and not wishing him well at North Carolina. With time that stance softened, and I specifically remember when they beat Roy/UNC one year in the tournament, he showed up at the Jayhawks next game in the stands wearing some KU gear and cheering them on. That was the point that I realized sometimes people move on for a multitude of reasons and it shouldn’t be taken personally. Some times it just opportunity, things have run their course, people need a change, or it’s for bigger opportunity or pay raise.

It stinks Porter left but it’s understandable why he did. It’s time to move forward, and like 25 stated it’s a relief to not have to relive this season after season anymore. We have a great new coach that we are excited about, who knows what the future will bring? In that KU reference, they never won with Roy but Bill Self was able to get over that hump and a championship in a few years. Not saying Loyola is destined to be a nation champion but Drew may very well end up a better coach than Porter, he may not but that the fun in why we watch sports right? The hope of always improving and doing better than last time around.

When all is said in done the past decade, and especially the past 4 years have been amazing. We had a run that many of us never got to see with Loyola except a few here and showed us we could be a basketball power and the best team in the state. We couldn’t do that without Porter, so I’m thankfully for that. I’m looking forward to the future of Rambler basketball and hope that we get to see Porter in a tourney game. We all know how well Loyola does in the underdog role.

Go Ramblers, already can’t wait for next season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:49 pm 

If the MVC is going to remain a one bid conference, it is time for Loyola to move to another one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:22 pm 

I RESPECT each and all of you guys AND your opinions NUT I am more in line with GO---I will go even farther--Moser said some HYPOCRITCAL things---re "HAPPINESS" et al

When you say such things you ae not HONEST

With our almost NEW COACH and our upcoming schedule we will be just fine
A new conference ?? Let me say--As of now, we own the MVC --Might be a sound move to re-locate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:44 pm 

Yep...time to move on. Thanks to Porter for his contributions and good luck on his future endeavors.

I love Porter, but if we would have had to deal with this "will he stay, or will he go?" drama after every successful run, it would really be a joykill. As long as Loyola is considered a mid-major, his eyes would have been wandering to greener pastures. Porter didn't leave for St. John's because it was probably not a great fit and it would have taken more work to turn that program around. OU on the other hand has a pretty great athletic department, supportive fanbase, and a nice core group of players on the team. Porter wants to compete at the highest level on a consistent basis. Clearly, he thinks that it's more doable at OU than at LU...and for the time being, he's right.

If we have truly built a top-down culture of success, then the future of the program shouldn't depend solely on the decisions of one person. Loyola has invested significantly in the athletics, especially on the basketball program. We have a nice arena and an awesome new practice facility. The changes made to the campus during Garanzini's "Reimagine" campaign have turned the Lakeshore campus into one of the most beautiful college campuses in America. Loyola has a lot to offer beyond Porter Moser.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:00 pm 

This whole episode made me feel like we (Loyola fans, alumni, and anyone who cares about the program) were the townspeople at the end of "It's A Wonderful Life," pouring every penny we've got into a basket for George Bailey/Porter Moser.

But instead of breaking into Auld Lang Syne, he says, "Is THIS all you've got, losers? Screw you, I'm moving to the Giant Factory Town to cash in on a money grab scheme with Sam Wainwright!!! Let's go, Mary.... Grab the kids."