It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: WHAT ARE THE ODDS?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:42 pm 

But really--what happens with the Wall of Culture?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:11 pm 

I am so grateful to read everyone's response here. I'm glad I'm not alone in my conflicted feelings about Coach Moser's exit. Like a lot of you, I feel stung by his sudden departure but I also completely understand how this profession works and Porter's desire to coach at a Power 5. I think my downfall was that I was WAY TOO in love with the Mark Few/Gonzaga - Jim Boeheim/Syracuse - Dickie Tarrant/Richmond - Ray Meyer/DePaul - E.A. Diddle/Western Kentucky idea. It would have been great to continue to grow the program with Porter and see his name on the court sometime in the future. But, his hasty exit pretty much guarantees that there will be no Porter Moser statue in front of the Gentile Center in our lifetimes.

I think it's 50/50 that we get a home and away with Okie U. I wouldn't be surprised if Porter advocates for it. A lot depends on his AD and the other pressures within the program. If it does happen, most likely it would be in 22-23 because I'm guessing next year's schedule is nearly complete. And I think it would need to be early in his tenure because the Okie U fans are going to be putting on big pressure later in his contract. Another reason I think it [i]might[i] happen is that it would put him back in front of Chicago area recruits which has been his bread and butter these past 10 years. Finally, I think Okie U might say yes to this because it gives them a positive PR push with the opportunity for much loved coach to return home, say hello to Sister Jean and get a standing O for his accomplishments at his former school.

All that said, I think it's 50/50 at best and would not be surprised if Porter and Okie U just looked the other way and chose to ignore us because we don't fit into their world view. (I mean, it's not like Brad Underwood got Stephen F Austin on the Illinois schedule...). I won't get my expectations up and will be pleasantly surprised but not shocked to see Okie U at Gentile Arena.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:25 pm 

It would be hilarious if Porter scheduled DePaul and not Loyola in the future