All times are UTC - 6 hours

Do you want the seniors to return?
Poll ended at Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:03 pm
Yes, all of them 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Yes, some of them 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:03 pm 

I'm caught in between on this. On one hand, it'd be great to return everyone and try to make another run. On the other side, if everyone returns and we see a large part of our underclassmen get frustrated with playing time and decide to transfer this year or next year, it could leave us a little thin going forward. We're a program built on winning with upperclassmen not having really talented young players play a large amount of minutes.

This is speculation, but I wonder if Yesufu knows after his performance he can find a place that'll give him more playing time than Drake who is returning all the seniors. Prior to their injuries, he only played more than 20 minutes 4 times last year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:15 pm 

No. I think it fucking sucks that their senior year was in empty stadiums, but I don't think it's really in their best interest, or in the long term interest of the program for any of the seniors to return.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:23 pm 

Out of pure selfishness I want Krut, Lucas, and Aher to come back. And I also think it would benefit them...unless they get hurt. So I completely understand if they don’t.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:28 pm 

If Kaifes, big Frank and Hebb leave, then yes.

Hall is not going to come back for a second masters degree. Uguak is already a 5th year student, and a sports management track is not something that requires a masters. Williamson, it may make sense for him to come back and he wants to play as long as possible. Krut, I'm not sure if he'll want to come back. He may decide to, just so he can be one of top 3 players Loyola has ever had. And Clemons may have some utility in pursuing a masters. But we're already loaded at the guard spot.

So if any seniors decide to come back, I hope it's only 2 or 3. Also, I wonder if we're pursing any of the valley transfers in the portal. I could see a couple of them having a desire to transfer here, after seeing how good we are. If you can't beat em, join em.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:31 pm 

Would never say no to Krut and Lucas returning if they wanted. They gave four incredible years to the program and the university. The door should 100% be open to them if they wanted to give it one more run (and have a proper senior day sendoff).

After that, maybe Keith since he only had two years of playing. Would be interesting to see how much more Aher can develop, but I think I'd be OK moving on without him and Tate.

it is an awkward situation, to be sure, as I really like all of these seniors and they have done so much for LU.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:48 pm 

I’m fairly certain Keith is going to come back. Gut feeling

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:56 pm 

RamblinTank22 wrote:
I'm caught in between on this. On one hand, it'd be great to return everyone and try to make another run. On the other side, if everyone returns and we see a large part of our underclassmen get frustrated with playing time and decide to transfer this year or next year, it could leave us a little thin going forward. We're a program built on winning with upperclassmen not having really talented young players play a large amount of minutes.

This is speculation, but I wonder if Yesufu knows after his performance he can find a place that'll give him more playing time than Drake who is returning all the seniors. Prior to their injuries, he only played more than 20 minutes 4 times last year.

We already have three people transferring so I'm not overly worried about that anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:36 pm 

As Doris would sing -- QUE SERA SERA !!! WE shall be good regardless--

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:48 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
RamblinTank22 wrote:

We already have three people transferring so I'm not overly worried about that anymore.

Three people who would be riding the bench regardless of whether or not the seniors come back. If a projected starter for next year hits the portal it's a different ball game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:38 am 

If they all come back, Loyola will be a top 25 team in the pre season, competitive with big programs all year and most likely get into the NCAA tournament for the first time in forever.

Heck yes I want them all back.

a biproduct of all that success is an excellent recruiting class that will replenish the program as they leave

I love that people will take some undefined success down the road over a near certain great season next year. Are we so far removed from mediocrity that we now pass on national exposure and an ncaaa tournament invite?