It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: major paradigm shift
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:33 am 

The effect of the grad transfer rule and the "portal" to transfer without waiting a year will have significant consequences.
1. It will place greater emphasis on getting players who can come in and have an immediate impact.

2. It will decimate some programs as player exist when coaches are either fired or jump ship. (this is the real danger at Loyola if Porter leaves.

3. Players are typically "wooed" by coaches and players are basically given false hopes and expectations. Then they rot on the bench and do not play as others pass them by. Its frequently a numbers game. These players will have a well deserved exit portal.

So have no illusions, Loyola will feel the effects shortly. And as for college basketball, its "amateur" status has been washed away by a sea of money.

Post subject: Re: major paradigm shift
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:38 am 

Yeah. It is most definitely one of my biggest fears if Porter leaves. Next season could turn from high, fun expectations with chances for big statement wins at the Battle 4 Atlantis...to a bare cupboard and long rebuild. Very, very quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:42 am 

01grad wrote:
Yeah. It is most definitely one of my biggest fears if Porter leaves. Next season could turn from high, fun expectations with chances for big statement wins at the Battle 4 Atlantis...to a bare cupboard and long rebuild. Very, very quickly.

Which is why I hope we have a plan in place right now if Porter leaves. And if that plan is Denzel (which I think I'd be in favor of), I hope Denzel is talking to Quise, Norris, Hutson, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:45 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
01grad wrote:

Which is why I hope we have a plan in place right now if Porter leaves. And if that plan is Denzel (which I think I'd be in favor of), I hope Denzel is talking to Quise, Norris, Hutson, etc.

Wrong Valentine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:46 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
01grad wrote:

Absolutely, as well as the Ivy guys and Ty/Schweiger coming in. If the team mostly stays the same we can still be competitive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:49 am 

jmiller2794 wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:
01grad wrote:

Wrong Valentine

I've been typing "Denzel Valentine" too much lately complaining about how awful he has been playing for the Bulls!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:05 am 

I BELIEVE PM STAYS--He is far from done at LUC--

LOYALTY !!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:46 am 

Loyalty is a two way street. Unfortunately, in corporate America it has been a one way street for over thirty years as companies "prune" staff without a second thought. I have seen some layoff staff between Christmas and New Years. Ho,ho, ho! Universities are doing the same. Look at Marquette. They trimmed 87 faculty members, pay a buy out to get rid of their coach so they then hire a new one.
As the Wall Street Journal pointed out three weeks ago in an article, education will be forced to change because of the success of long distance learning. Bloated support staff will be trimmed as parents begin to balk at exorbitant tuitions for worthless degrees that don't result in good paying jobs. The WSJ predicts many universities will not survive.
The result in many cases, not all, is "take it while the taking is good." The danger is when you keep reaching for the brass ring on the coaching carousel, some fall off the ride.
I hope Porter takes into account unless he did something stupid he can stay at Loyola and be secure and build a legacy even greater than he has.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:39 pm 

WOW was I ever wrong !! PM has jumped ship or to put it another way HE DESERTED !!! I really thought he was made of better stuff .

Garanzini et al did their best-- but Moser took a "school" with a spotty history .

Disappointed and disgusted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:47 pm 

brot4britu wrote:
WOW was I ever wrong !! PM has jumped ship or to put it another way HE DESERTED !!! I really thought he was made of better stuff .

Garanzini et al did their best-- but Moser took a "school" with a spotty history .

Disappointed and disgusted

While we are all disappointed I don't think this is fair in the slightest brot. He did the thing I think everyone should aspire to do when leaving for a new job, leave the last one better than how you found it. And he did that ten, if not a hundred, times over

We're a national brand again. We've got great new facilities. And if they pick Valentine we'll still likely have our great culture.

If one of my company's competitors told me they were going to pay me more (likely double), expand my sphere of influence in my field, give me some new challenges, all while making some of the most crucial parts of my job (making the tournament) easier, I'd take it in a heartbeat. And for anyone who says differently, you're just fooling yourself.