It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The rest of the way
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:33 pm 

A friend asked me this question, and with some time before the next game, I thought I'd ask the Ramblermaniacs:

At this point, what would satisfy you as a fan in terms of the remainder of the season and tournament?

It was a hard question to answer for me. I remember being at a lunch at Leona's at least 6-7 years ago talking about the program with some staff and die-hards. At the time, I said that my dream for the program would be that we are competitive in the MVC most years, and that every class gets a tournament appearance. For the newer fans, that might seem blasé, but it felt ambitious at the time when we were competing with Wichita State, who had a giant booster club and a waiting list for season tickets. Oh, and we hadn't been to the dance in 30 years. We were outclassed.

Now, I still think that getting back to the tournament is a great goal. I'm trying to not be greedy. Anything can happen in one game, and if we play well and lose in the round of 64, I think I could tip my cap and not have too many regrets?

What do you think? Get to the tournament, play our best, and let the chips fall?

Post subject: Re: The rest of the way
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:44 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
A friend asked me this question, and with some time before the next game, I thought I'd ask the Ramblermaniacs:

At this point, what would satisfy you as a fan in terms of the remainder of the season and tournament?

It was a hard question to answer for me. I remember being at a lunch at Leona's at least 6-7 years ago talking about the program with some staff and die-hards. At the time, I said that my dream for the program would be that we are competitive in the MVC most years, and that every class gets a tournament appearance. For the newer fans, that might seem blasé, but it felt ambitious at the time when we were competing with Wichita State, who had a giant booster club and a waiting list for season tickets. Oh, and we hadn't been to the dance in 30 years. We were outclassed.

Now, I still think that getting back to the tournament is a great goal. I'm trying to not be greedy. Anything can happen in one game, and if we play well and lose in the round of 64, I think I could tip my cap and not have too many regrets?

What do you think? Get to the tournament, play our best, and let the chips fall?

Fantastic question Ahunte. Like you I’ve always said I’d be happy with tournament appearances, especially after my time in Rogers Park where they were mostly bad and did t have many fans in the stands; tourney should be the ultimate goal. For this specific team, floor is a tourney appearance (or a few wins in NIT if snubbed), anything can happen when you get in the tournament but I’ll throw out a ceiling of a Sweet 16. The way the team is playing right now, think that isn’t insane to hope for. Would also like to see Porter get an extension after the season and keep building the program. Sky is limit right now for the Ramblers, recruiting going well, winning big, it’s a great time to be a Rambler.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:16 pm 

I think for the program, I would want to compete for a regular season title (top 3 or 4) every year at this point. And a tourney appearance every couple years at least. Not sure we’re at a point where we can expect it on a yearly basis. A couple NITs sprinkled in would be fine

For this specific team, I would be very disappointed if we’re not in the tourney.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:17 pm 

(All of this assumes Kennedy is healthy and playing)

If you ask my head, a tournament bid is my satisfaction floor. Everything after that is just so unpredictable.

If you ask my heart and gut, I’d be disappointed with less than a Sweet 16 bid. Greedy, I know. But this team just has that potential, and I want them to reach their ceiling (and I think their ceiling is beyond Sweet 16 if the seeding and brackets are right).

If you ask me from 5 years ago, all of the above expectations would be called absolute insanity, unfair, and unrealistic.

But, here we are.

Last edited by 01grad on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:23 pm 

MY goal for the team??? No let up the rest of the way--A bid to the Dance--An extension for Porter--KEEP GOING RAMBLERS !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:58 pm 

Dansen wrote:
For this specific team, I would be very disappointed if we’re not in the tourney.

No doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:05 pm 

01grad wrote:
If you ask me from 5 years ago, all of the above expectations would be called absolute insanity, unfair, and unrealistic.

Six years ago, we were celebrating a CBI championship. And rightfully so given where the program was at that point.

Now we are at a point where we are comfortable saying that anything less than an NCAA tourney appearance would be considered a disappointment.

Porter Moser deserves every cent we can offer and every ounce of gratitude we have for what he has done here. As does Watson and others on the staff and department. I am certainly living in the moment with this team, but in the back of my mind, I can't help but dread the day when Porter moves on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:18 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
01grad wrote:

Six years ago, we were celebrating a CBI championship. And rightfully so given where the program was at that point.

Now we are at a point where we are comfortable saying that anything less than an NCAA tourney appearance would be considered a disappointment.

Porter Moser deserves every cent we can offer and every ounce of gratitude we have for what he has done here. As does Watson and others on the staff and department. I am certainly living in the moment with this team, but in the back of my mind, I can't help but dread the day when Porter moves on.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:34 pm 

I think a tournament bid (either auto or at large, both are possible) and playing well enough to win in the first round is a minimum with this team.

We have four starting seniors, two of whom have deep tournament experience. If we get a bid of any kind, we'll have a seed between 6 (winning out) and 12 (barely squeaking in on an at large bid, or losing both Drake reg. season games and winning in St. Louis). In any case, we'd be playing a team in the tournament that's reasonably closely matched to us.... so no excuse to get blown out.

I think a reasonable expectation is Round of 32-Sweet 16. This could be our last rodeo for a while if most seniors leave as expected-- Drake's best players are all juniors, and they would be favored next year plus UNI will have AJ Green and Kimmons back, and Phyfe as a senior. SIU could be getting a lot better in the next two years, and Illinois State won't be down for long.

For the long term, like others have said, finishing every year in the top four and maybe getting lucky in St. Louis is a reasonable expectation for most years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:34 pm 

This might be a little out of the context of this thread, but also hope to see us continue to keep winning on local Chicago talent in the recruiting market. Cam, Lucas, Kennedy and Welch are such huge parts of this team.

I also have high hopes for Ty Johnson and Ben Schwieger in next years class as well. I think as long as Loyola can keep some of the higher end local talent around, we should be able to compete year in and year out in the Valley.