It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: THE "BIG" TEN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:04 pm 

I believe the NCAA CMTE put NINE of the "BIG" 10 teams in to the DANCE AS I write this all but one is out. Some of our Genius experts call this the BEST Conference--WRONG !!!! At lest SIX took up space from more Deserving teams I say GET A NEW CMTE ROSTER FOR NEXT YEAR

Post subject: Re: THE "BIG" TEN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 pm 

ALL but one of the NINE conf selectees are OUT Some genius experts call the BIG 10 the Best conf !! WRONG
The Comte should be eradicated and a NEW one seated next year--THE BIG 10 took at least SIX spots which should have gone to more deserving teams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:22 am 

Brot could not agree with you more.....but I think the COmmitte is nothing but a Television Programming committee. The ratings will be down this year as so many of the BIG 10 and BiG alum schools are gone...,, They will probably be looking for a way to get more BiG10 schools in....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 am 

OH! pollyanna me---JHST ONCE will I ever see SOMETHING straight and presented for whatever it is produced for--

NATE nailed it Perfect !!

NOW GO RAMBLERS--TAKE IT ALL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:52 pm 

I do appreciate the spirit, but with all due respect I think you are misguided.

Part of this is the madness of March. No one seriously thought Maryland and Rutgers would make deep runs, but they won their first games and Rutgers gave away its games to Houston. Rutgers should be alive in the Sweet 16.

Also, the tournament is about match-ups. Some of these teams played poorly, but I think others had bad match-ups and their coaches (illinois and Iowa) never made any adjustments.

As a group, we tread on thin ice here about being overrated. The same metrics we rely on to say that we should have been ranked higher (Ken Pom) ranked all the Big Ten Teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Wisconsin) highly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:28 pm 

I'm not wild about bashing the Big Ten (or any specific conference) because of their performance in the tournament. There but for the grace of God... But being given NINE bids was insane. If there's ever any year the Big Ten deserves derision, it was this year.

If you're going to create giant Mega Conferences like the Big Ten (14 teams), ACC (15 teams), and SEC (14 teams) where schools play 20-game conference schedules out of an allowed 27+MTE regular season schedule, what are Mid-Majors supposed to do? There are 76 schools in the P5+Big East, quite enough to eliminate every smaller conference auto bid and fill up all 68 NCAA slots. Which is what they would do if we let them. You can't create an incestuous protective bubble for P5+Big East teams and also wonder why/decry that Mid-Majors play anyone-- it's just nakedly disingenuous.

And so, two Big Ten teams with conference records of .500 and two Big Ten teams that were TWO GAMES BELOW .500 in conference got into the tournament (and none of them won the conference tournament). The SEC had one team with a .500 conference record (Missouri) get an at large. There were plenty of influential people-- some serious, some mostly entertaining but still influential-- calling for Kentucky (9-16) and Duke (13-11) to get bids, based entirely on reputation.

Here's an easy way for the committee to prevent this year's Big Ten debacle from happening again-- make a hard rule that no teams at .500 or below in their conference can get an at large (unless there's a tie for .500). With that as a rule, all of a sudden padding the Power conferences (which remember, is a term that really means "Basketball programs that became big from using football money") with more programs to quash Mid-Major auto bids has a serious downside....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:07 pm 

I agree JCT. That only makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:15 pm 

Good for JCT !! I still say that FIVE teams did NOT get bids that went to a not so good 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:41 pm 

The bottom 4 teams in the Big Ten went 3-1 in the first round games. They were all 500 or below in conference. The only team that lost was MSU and that was in overtime.

The ACC got 7 bids and has 2 teams left. One of them is Syracuse

the big 12 got 7 bids and has one team left.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:07 pm 

BANG THE DRUM LOUDLY! KEEP THE DRUMBEAT GOING! LET THEM KNOW THE MID MAJORS FANBASE IS
WATCHING AND ARE WISE TO THEIR GAME!