It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Offensive Issues
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:19 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:
I gave myself Sunday to enjoy the win, be positive on the board and reminisce about the incredible four year run Loyola is on.

Now down to business. After our 27 point blowout in game 1 @Drake, our offense has really hit a wall. Thought it'd be good to centralize discussions on the offense in one thread. I have a few observations. I am a kenpom subscriber but certainly not an analytic savant. The below thoughts are mostly just from watching the game.

1. "Tightening" of the rotation. Welch was a really key contributor in the first half of the season. Showed he could hit from deep and had some nifty moves downlow. His defense was not bad, but he was sometimes exposed trying to defend the other team's big man. His minutes and contributions have seemingly dropped off. Similar to Hebb who did not play at all (I don't think) in the SIU series. He provided a bit of a spark plug in some games with active defense and the ability to drive to the hoop. Seems like we are now set in a 7 man rotation with the starting 5 plus Quise/Hall...with sparing minutes for Welch, Kaifes and Hall.

2. Backdoor cuts. Our offense had a ton of pretty cuts / motions coupled with really nifty passing (including from Krut, of course) that lead to easy layups. It seems opposing teams have picked up on that and are not overselling a big, cutting off any passing lanes before they exist.

3. Hall/Uguak/Welch. Each of these three guys have shown the ability to step up for a double digit game on any given night. After Hall as put into a sub role, he responded super well and kind of carved out a new roll as a post-up guy. He is strong, quick and athletic--great for exposing mismatches. However, last few games, he seems to have gotten away from really trying to back guys down. His 3 point shot is so off this year, unfortunately, that I think he really needs to go back to keying in downlow. Similarly, Uguak is a guy who can really expose mismatches--length and quickness very few have. He really looked good in game 1 vs Drake as they tried to guard him with Sturtz. Seems like the last few games, he has regressed a bit as neither his 3 point shot is falling nor is he able to expose defenders. Welch, already talked about his decrease in minutes. His 3 point shot from the top of the arc seemed automatic at the beginning of the year--he has gone cold from there.

4. Drive, drive, drive. We have a few guys who have shown they can beat defenders off the dribble and consistently get to the hoop (Kennedy, Norris, Hebb). Only one of those guys (Kennedy) has really shown the ability to finish once down there. With the 3 point ball not falling, I think we need to try driving more--Kennedy to finish or dish to Krut and Norris to pull up for a mid-range jumper (where he has been deadly) or find Krut.

5. The 3 ball. Obviously, the biggest issue, and the most troubling / inexplicable, has been the complete demise of our 3 point shooting. We have multiple guys on the roster who should be comfortable 36+% shooters (Norris, Williamson, Clemons, Kaifes, Kennedy). And we looked the part leading up to the last 4 games. But then it just fell off a cliff (other than Norris and to a lesser extent, Clemons). With a big guy as talented as Krut, when our 3's are falling, we are near impossible to defend. Feed him, and he will either beat your defender 1v1 OR you can try to crash him and he will inevitably find the open guy leading you to chase the ball on the perimeter until we have an open 3. But when the 3's aren't falling, you just need to crash on Krut as you do not need to worry about getting killed from deep. Our advantage on offense disappears.

Interested to hear thoughts from others. These are obviously some "ramblings" of someone who has yelled at the TV out of pure frustration the last four games. Our defense can keep us in a battle with just about any team, and even win Q4 type games vs Valpo and SIU, but if the offense isn't there, our March will be short-lived. I trust Porter and the guys to figure it out. First move should be to stick with what worked early on--then, if the 3's STILL aren't falling, we need some type of backup plan. I think driving with Norris/Kennedy and feeding Krut or cutters is the best we can do.

I have no idea why Porter has dropped Welch and Hebb’s minutes, our depth is our strength. Why would you stop doing something when it is working? It makes no sense. They’ll see increased playing time at arch madness but it’s mind boggling. I agree with using Kennedy to drive to the basket. His level of athleticism and finishing ability is an easy option to trust when nothing is working. I’m not sure I agree with Norris driving, I’m tired of watching him getting rejected at the end of games. Driving then dishing it out or pulling up for a mid range? Definitely.

I like when Kennedy pulls up for that 12-14 jumper just outside the lane. Teams love to pack it in on us and when he beats his man and elevates its a cleaner look. I wish he would take that shot more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:09 pm 

There have been a few changes in the rotation and the game plan this year.

After he moved Clemons into the starting line-up, it seemed like Porter had adopted a plan to bring Welch, Tate and Kennedy as a group. It created a change of pace that ignited the offense and the defense. It was a tempo change and it seemed to work. I don't recall us doing this recently.

Compared to 2018. there has been a big change on the offensive boards. This year we hit the offensive board more in a game than we did in the entire 2018 season.

Also this year we never do the wheel play with the 3 in the corner.

The one thing that has stayed the same is that our defense is consistent, but we do lose our touch on offense from time to time. We are better overall on offense, but Jackson was more consistent on the offensive side than anyone we have this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:03 pm 

Grind of the season is certainly part of the explanation for the offensive stretch. Porter shortened the bench in anticipation of the post season - he's gonna go with 7 it looks like. Drake second half and then Valpo showed the primary issues this team has...Streaky. Krutwig will be double teamed the entire rest of the way and it will be up to the squad to hit the open shots. Tate Hall being MIA is a big issue, when he is on, it really spaces the floor. I like Welch a lot, but he's out of position at the 5 on defense against teams with a legit body. I can't imagine he will see much time because of that in the big dance.