It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: And so it begins...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:31 pm 

Rambler88 - Must respectfully disagree on your assessment of Villanova. They are sending a lot of players to the NBA the last several years, really good players. That is an elite program in my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:58 am 

natetheskate wrote:
2. Does Loyola have any sugar daddies?

Whoa! Hey, a little too personal!

cubbiesrule wrote:
Rambler88 - Must respectfully disagree on your assessment of Villanova. They are sending a lot of players to the NBA the last several years, really good players. That is an elite program in my mind.

Have to agree, here. If we would’ve held on and beaten Michigan in ‘18, ‘Nova was just on another level that year. Although...the extra two days in San Antonio would’ve been a LOT more fun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:32 am 

My point for Villanova and Virginia is that they became really good programs without high NBA talent. If you compare the type of players that were on Villanova's 2016 team to the players on the 2018 team, the level of players were significantly better in 2018. It is a not a program, like Michigan - the team it played in 2018, which has NBA players in the mix every year. Winning attracts better players. No one is crying for him, but I heard Villanova's coach talk about coaching kids who are on the fast track to the NBA presents it's own set of problems. The bottom line is that his program was built without NBA players to his credit.

As far as tv ratings work, the move to FOX is a downgrade from ESPN. Games on FOX attract less viewers. Look at the Big Ten numbers on both networks - ESPN gets more viewers and its like 30% more viewers. I am sure FOX is paying more money, but I question the decision in the long run.

The Big East will struggle until Georgetown and St Johns make their programs relevant again. I am not sure they can do that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:19 am 

ESPN tbt deal is horrible. Look at the aac their games are on espn+. Why would you ever want to watch games over the internet. ESPN has killed any chance signing a good deal because if the game isn’t a marquee game they will throw it on espn+. I would much rather have all games broadcast on fox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:37 am 

NYCLUC wrote:
ESPN tbt deal is horrible. Look at the aac their games are on espn+. Why would you ever want to watch games over the internet. ESPN has killed any chance signing a good deal because if the game isn’t a marquee game they will throw it on espn+. I would much rather have all games broadcast on fox

As a millennial I strongly disagree.

As for the rest of this thread, I think as others have said PM would only go to the “right” program, not just any P5 team. If he went somewhere just to be able to recruit 4 and 5 stars consistently and play with a cool logo on the court, he would have to change his entire system. Let’s not forget he has some good recruits coming in as well, in addition to the Ivy guys. And who knows about the seniors

I thought the coach K/John Scheyer example was hilarious. Scheyer would never consider DePaul or Loyola IMO. We’d have to poach either somebody from the Horizon or similar league (Yaklich?), or a power 5 assistant whose eyes aren’t quite set on a P5 job yet in my opinion. Ideally Midwestern, our brand is growing but not that much. I like Valentine a lot, but there hasn’t quite been the buzz that Mullins had and I’m not sure if he’s a head coach quite yet. All this being said, I also trust Watson to do what’s best if PM ever left.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:55 am 

Steve Watson is the man behind the scene and is in good measure the key to success. He works hard and keeps everything in balance. I hope we can give him a long term deal. He is the rudder that keeps the ship on course.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:57 am 

I live yak. I think he is severely under rated. And he took the Uic job to be closer to home

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:29 am 

Porter one of 15 on watch list for Naismith National Coach of the Year. Drake coach DeVries also on list.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ason-watch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:24 am 

With some schools seasons starting to end, it's already speculative coaching carousel time! Article is behind a paywall so I won't share too much of it, but you should be able to read it if you are an ESPN+ subscriber.

Very first job discussed is BC and Porter specifically mentioned as currently not interested.

Quote:
People began connecting dots to Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser, whose time with the Ramblers overlapped with that of current BC athletic director Pat Kraft, but my understanding is Moser is not interested in the job at this point.

Other valley mentions: ISUr and ISUb mentioned as potential openings with Borzello thinking Muller is safe and Lansing is gone. ISUb AD apparently has ties to Purdue, so potentially pulling someone from the Matt Painter coaching tree. DeVries mentioned as a potential candidate for Kansas State if they decide to move on from Bruce Weber after this disaster of a season.

Porter is the first coach mentioned in the mid-major section.

Quote:
Porter Moser, Loyola Chicago: No mid-major coach on this list will be able to match Moser's résumé over the past four years. The Ramblers went to the Final Four in 2018, won the Missouri Valley in 2019 and again this year, while also ranked near the top 10 in both NET and KenPom. Moser was pursued by St. John's a couple years ago, but ultimately decided to stay at Loyola. He's in a great spot right now, so he can be selective with the jobs he does chase. I'd imagine he would be very interested in DePaul or Minnesota if either opens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:07 am 

I know money is a big factor but why go to one of those big name schools? They won't have the patience of an LU. The pressure will be on from Day 1 and it takes time to build the program the way he has here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next