It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Around the Valley
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:54 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Long way to go, but I think your take is overly pessimistic. For what it's worth, we are a "Last 4 In" on The Athletic today.

And Lunardi just tweeted MVC can get 2 bids.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:17 am 

I gotta think if we run the table in the regular season we make the NCAA Tournament regardless of what happens at Arch Madness.
Even if we split with Drake I think are chances for an at-large bid are no worse than 50-50.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 pm 

https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/4445181 ... ssion=true

Prim is returning for MSU next year. Poor man’s Krutwig, gives them back their entire roster barring any transfers. Will be interesting to see what our seniors choose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:46 pm 

Interesting.

Odd that he announced mid-season.

I hope all our guys keep quiet about their plans until the season is over. I still think if certain seniors stay, it might cause a lot of our next-guys-up to consider making a change if the sit-out-1 year rule is waived again for next year. I don’t want that box to get opened until we are done with THIS season. Hopefully all our guys are focused on the present and not next year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:04 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
Interesting.

Odd that he announced mid-season.

I hope all our guys keep quiet about their plans until the season is over. I still think if certain seniors stay, it might cause a lot of our next-guys-up to consider making a change if the sit-out-1 year rule is waived again for next year. I don’t want that box to get opened until we are done with THIS season. Hopefully all our guys are focused on the present and not next year.

Agreed, I don’t see the purpose in announcing this during the season. Porter isn’t the type of coach to ever do that, he likes keeping his guys in the present. To me announcing that you’re returning next year while the regular season is still going on makes me think that you’re already giving up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:34 am 

Couple of things regarding NET. They have simplified the NET this year. There are usually 5 factors, but I think they cut that down to like 2. See here: https://wwwcache.ncaa.com/news/basketba ... eplace-rpi

It's great that some smaller schools are getting good NET rankings, but the proof will be how they do if they get in the event. I posted before, but I think Porter and his staff figured out the NET and are playing to the metrics. Double digit wins + road wins = Higher NET. I like that we have not taken our foot off the gas this year when we have been laying it on teams. It has paid off.

Financially, it would make no sense to cut the tournament down or limit who gets in. Its about programming and $$$$. The NCAA lost over a billion dollars last year when it cancelled March Madness. People love March Madness. They are expecting huge ratings and ad dollars, just like football. When teams like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas are having mediocre years, people don't want to see them get something they did not earn. People love the underdog stories and upsets. It's what make March Madness great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:04 am 

expand the field. if you are over 500 in your conference you are in. Simple. Quit being beggars with hat in hand. Follow the Al Davis rule. in your face.. Just win baby!. Too much power and arrogance in the P5.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:00 pm 

Devries announced that all of Drake's seniors will be coming back next year

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:58 am 

Chiguy14 wrote:
Devries announced that all of Drake's seniors will be coming back next year

Also interesting.

The entire league seems to be worried about only one of our players coming back and that’s Krutwig. I would be interested to know how bonded Williamson and a Krutwig are with Custer.

Custer is an interesting case because 1) he chose to come back the year after the final four (I want to say he was 23 years old his final season), and 2) he took a contract and played overseas when he was done.

Custer has been fairly diplomatic when talking about his experience in Poland, but it it’s pretty obvious that whatever experience he had playing overseas.. it was really really bad for him. I wonder what type of advice or insight he’s given them (or will give them) about coming back another year vs. playing overseas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:29 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
Custer has been fairly diplomatic when talking about his experience in Poland, but it it’s pretty obvious that whatever experience he had playing overseas.. it was really really bad for him. I wonder what type of advice or insight he’s given them (or will give them) about coming back another year vs. playing overseas.

I remember reading that he was playing and doing well, but then the team brought in a PG who is an older Polish basketball legend, and even though the guy had maybe a practice or two with the team, didn't know the system, and wasn't as good as Clay, he took Custer's starting position and a lot of the minutes solely because of his name. I'm sure that's frustrating as a player and was probably even harder as an American thrown into another culture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next