It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:54 pm 

Did ahunte call Toledo's bluff, or was it more a hoisted by your own petard thingy?
I suppose it could also be a sincere and innocent question, but I prefer to put an evil spin on things.
Maybe a poll is called for...

○ Called Toledo's bluff

○ Hoisted Toledo by his own petard

○ Innocent question

○ Cigarboy sucks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:09 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Did ahunte call Toledo's bluff, or was it more a hoisted by your own petard thingy?
I suppose it could also be a sincere and innocent question, but I prefer to put an evil spin on things.
Maybe a poll is called for...

○ Called Toledo's bluff

○ Hoisted Toledo by his own petard

○ Innocent question

○ Cigarboy sucks

It’s good to see D as an option again

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:58 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:

I am officially sick of hearing about Aher’s defense. Uguak has 60+ games under his belt starting. I dare anybody to comb through the records and find me 20 (1/3) games where you thought he played “a great game” AND scored 6 points or more! If you think you can do it, then I’ll look at your twenty games and figure out how many you picked that were against teams who finished that season with a winning record. I bet you won’t be surprised at that number....

What's the number?

The total number is 27 out of 71 games (38%) where he’s scored 6 more more points.

Of those 27 games, the number of 6+ point games against teams that finished with winning records is 11.

Coincidently, we have 27 losses since the start of the 2018-2019 season. Uguak failed to score 6 points or more in 18 of those losses. The most glaring of the losses where he scored more than 6, was the 73-72 overtime loss to Valpo where he scored 7 points, but missed 6 free throws (3 of 9). His best game in a loss was a Creighton 61-51 loss in the NIT where he put up 18. That was probably his best game for us.

I’ve done a deep dive into his play over the past season and tried to objectively analyze it. I’ll post it in a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:29 pm 

Outline of Brandeis Brief on Aher Uguak by ToledoRambler:

Argument: The Decision by Porter Moser to Start Aher Uguak is Against the Manifest Weight of the Evidence.

A. Uguak is an offensive liability.

i. He is a poor free throw shooter. [ Recite statistics.]

ii. He is a poor 3 point shooter. [Recite statistics.]

iii. He commits too many turnovers. [Recite statistics.]

B. Aher Uguak's poor individual offense adversely affects team offense.

i. It allows defenses to cheat by laying off him and double-teaming better shooters.

ii. It hurts floor spacing.

iii. It limits offensive options.

C. Aher Uguak's defense is insufficient to compensate for his offensive deficiencies.

i. His defense is overated. [Recite statistics.]

ii. His plus/minus rating is poor. [Recite number.]

iii. His Efficiency Rating is poor. [Recite number.]

D. On the rare occasion he plays well, it is against poor teams.

i. Recite his statistics against winning teams.

ii. Recite his statistics against losing teams.

E. There are better options.

i. Tom Welch [Recite this season's statistics.]

ii. Damezi Anderson [Recite high school statistics.]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:03 pm 

Outline of Amicus Brief by Swellafelon in support of ToledoRambler.

Argument.

A. THIS.

B. What he said.

C. Yup.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:50 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Outline of Brandeis Brief on Aher Uguak by ToledoRambler:

Argument: The Decision by Porter Moser to Start Aher Uguak is Against the Manifest Weight of the Evidence.

A. Uguak is an offensive liability.

i. He is a poor free throw shooter. [ Recite statistics.]

ii. He is a poor 3 point shooter. [Recite statistics.]

iii. He commits too many turnovers. [Recite statistics.]

B. Aher Uguak's poor individual offense adversely affects team offense.

i. It allows defenses to cheat by laying off him and double-teaming better shooters.

ii. It hurts floor spacing.

iii. It limits offensive options.

C. Aher Uguak's defense is insufficient to compensate for his offensive deficiencies.

i. His defense is overated. [Recite statistics.]

ii. His plus/minus rating is poor. [Recite number.]

iii. His Efficiency Rating is poor. [Recite number.]

D. On the rare occasion he plays well, it is against poor teams.

i. Recite his statistics against winning teams.

ii. Recite his statistics against losing teams.

E. There are better options.

i. Tom Welch [Recite this season's statistics.]

ii. Damezi Anderson [Recite high school statistics.]

It is scary how unbelievably accurate this prediction was...... hahaha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:17 pm 

With all the questions regarding Uguak, I decided to comb through the past two seasons and analyze it. I wanted to try and be objective and decide whether he helps us or hurts us in tough games, and if so, in what games has it been a factor.

The first thing that was needed was a baseline offensive number to determine a positive game vs. a negative game. This would be the lowest amount a starter can score in a game and still be considered a meaningful asset (with defense and other stats). I came up with 6 points. I figure, each starter needs to be able to score 6 points in a game to keep the defense honest and not have any of your other stats or contributions be a wash (or even a negative) because of your lack of offensive production. If you score 5 points or less as a starter, odds are, no matter what else you did, you most likely didn’t help the team. For instance, in a game where Uguak is assigned to guard AJ Green, who is averaging 20 points per game; if Green gets held to 12 points, but Uguak scores 0 – he didn’t help us in that hypothetical game at all. If Uguak scores at least 6 and Green gets 12, that’s a different story. The problem is, from looking through every game, the hope that Uguak’s defense is surpassing his offensive ineffectiveness is not reflected in the numbers.

Uguak has played 71 games in a Loyola uniform.

From those 71 games:
- 42 games he has scored 5 points or fewer; (60%);
- 29 games he has scored 6+ points in a game;
- Only 13 (of those 27 games) times has he scored 6+ points in a game against a team with a regular season winning record.

2018-2019 SEASON

Loyola Goes 20-14.

Uguak scores 6+ in 14 games
Uguak scores 5 points or less in 20 games

Games he scored 6+ in:
UMKC – 8 points (Losing Record) - WIN -
NIAGRA – 15 points (Losing Record) - WIN -
BALL STATE – 8 points (Losing Record) - LOSS
MARYLAND – 9 points (Winning Record) - LOSS
INDIANA STATE – 19 points (Losing Record)- WIN
VALPO – 12 points (Losing Record) - WIN
INDIANA STATE – 10 points (Losing Record) - LOSS
SIU – 9 points (Winning Record) - WIN
DRAKE – 6 points (Winning Record) - WIN -
BRADLEY – 6 points (Winning Record) - LOSS

MISSOURI STATE – 6 points (16-16) - LOSS
SIU – 7 points (Winning Record) - LOSS
BRADLEY – 8 points (Winning Record) - WIN
CREIGHTON – 18 points (Winning Record) - LOSS

BUT, under the analysis I’m using, based on the talent we had, we presume we would have beaten any team that finished the season with a losing record, regardless of Uguak playing. So for instance, while he technically helped us scoring 15 points against Niagara, we weren’t going to lose to Niagara if he didn’t play. So,

Against teams with winning records, Uguak scored 6+ points 7 times.

2019-2020 SEASON

Loyola Goes 21-11.

Uguak scores 6+ in 15 games
Uguak scores 5 points or less in 16 games

Games he scored 6+ in:
UC-DAVIS – 8 points (Losing Record) - WIN
FURMAN – 8 points (Winning Record) - LOSS
St. Joseph’s – 12 points (Losing Record) - WIN
IUPUI – 9 points (Losing Record) – WIN
QUINCY – 6 points (NOT D1) - WIN
EVANSVILLE – 12 points (Losing Season) - WIN
ILLINOIS STATE – 7 points (Losing Season) - WIN
INDIANA STATE – 8 points (Winning Season) - WIN
SIU – 7 points (16-16) - LOSS
BRADLEY – 8 Points (Winning Season) - WIN
EVANSVILLE – 9 points (Losing Season) - WIN
ILLNOIS STATE – 9 points (Losing Season) - WIN
DRAKE – 6 points (Winning Season) - WIN
BRADLEY – 11 points (Winning Season) - WIN

VALPO – 7 points (but 6 missed free throws) (Winning Season) - LOSS

BUT, under the analysis I’m using, based on the talent we had, we would have beaten any team that finished the season with a losing record, regardless of Uguak playing. So for instance, while he technically helped us scoring 9 against Quincy, and 12 and 9 against Evansville , we weren’t going to lose to those games if he didn’t play. So,

[b]Against teams with winning records, Uguak scored 6+ points 6 times.
[/b]

LOSSES

The real assessment comes in the losses. If Uguak sucks, but we still win the game, it is frustrating, but tough to get upset about it. A win is a win, and to NOTE – Uguak has 44 of them. So in what games has he HURT is in terms of the final result of each loss?

Uguak failed to score 6 or more points in 18 of our 27 losses.

Analyzing Uguak’s play in the 27 losses we’ve had in 2+years, this is how I would rank them:

LEVEL 1 – BAD GAMES:

1. 2019 - VALPO – 7 points - (74-73-OT)
ARCH MADNESS - We played a bad game as a team (except Clemons who had 28 points), but Uguak missed 6 free throws (3 of 9), and could have closed that game out. This one was devastating. Cost us a shot to win another title.

2. 2018 -BRADLEY – 2 points - (53-51)
ARCH MADNESS – A season of playing and he could only get 2 points, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 1 rebound. A two point loss in a low scoring affair. With everyone jammed up and struggling, him standing on the wing and only taking 2 shots did not help create opportunities for our shooters.

3. 2018 - FURMAN - 5 points - (60-58)
Granted it was his second game, but 5 points, and 1 for 10 from the field (10%) lost this game for us. This was a loaded team coming back, and this loss really took the wind out our sales coming off the final four run.

4. 2019 - RICHMOND – 0 points - (73-71)
Yeah… Zero points. This game is fresh.

5. 2019 - COPPIN STATE – 5 points - (76-72)
One of the more embarrassing losses of the new Rambler Era. 4 turnovers for Uguak in 29 minutes AND he fouled out of the game.

6. 2019 – NORTHERN IOWA - 3 points - UNI (67-62 OT)
Uguak doesn’t do anything in 24 minutes. All of UNI’s scorers had double figures and no had issues against him defensively. UNI starts had 19, 16, 13,12 and 11.

7. 2018 - SAINT JOES - 2 (45-42).
2 points in 21 minutes. He had 1 assist. This one can be pinned on him, but with only 42 points total, nobody was playing particularly well offensively.

8. 2018 -ILLINOIS STATE - 0 (65-57)
0 Points in 29 minutes. 0-3 from the line. This game was winnable.

9. 2020 - WISCONSIN – 0 points – (77-63)
0 points, an assist, and 4 rebounds. This game was ugly at the end, but we were still in the game half-way through.

10. 2019 - DRAKE – 3 points - (65-62)
It wasn’t just Uguak’s lack of scoring with only 3 points in this one. It was the 1-5 from the line again.

11. 2019 - MISSOURI STATE – 0 points - (64-52)
0 Points in 18 minutes. Winnable game. This was the type of game where it seemed like our opponant’s defense is playing 5 on 4.

12. 2018 -EVANSVILLE - 0 (67-48)
0 points in 26 minutes…. BUT we Lost by 19, so not that big of a deal.

13. 2019 - COLORADO STATE – 4 (61-60)
Another horrible game for Aher - 4 points, 3 turnovers.

LEVEL 2 – AHER’S SO-SO GAMES

14. 2019 - SOUTH FLORIDA – 5 points - (66-55)
Rough game for everyone. Aher did all right.

15. 2019 - DAVIDSON – 5 points - (59-56)
So-So game. We Did have a chance to win though.

16. 2018 -MISSOURI STATE – 6 points - (65-51)
Borderline bad game for him. 6 points in 30 minutes.

17. 2019 - FURMAN -8 points – (87-63)
Total beatdown. Everyone sucked. He played all right. Aher turned the ball over 5 times though!

18. 2019 - ISUb – 5 points - (68-39)
Not his fault. Yeah he scored ZERO, but the whole team only scored 39.

19. 2018 -BRADLEY – 6 points - (61-54)
32 minutes. 3 of 6 from the field.

20. 2018 -NEVADA - 2 points - (79-65)
Nobody played well this game. Ugauk gets 2 points, but only played 11 minutes.

21. 2018 -BOSTON COLLEGE – 5 points - (78-66)
29 minutes, 5 points. 1 for 4 from the field. 4 turnovers! But we lose by 12 anyway.

22. 2018 - MISSOURI STATE – 0 points - (70-35)
Another terrible game by Uguak…. But I’m pretty sure he wasn’t a 35 point liability that night.

LEVEL 3 – GOOD GAMES BY AHER IN LOSSES

23. 2019 - SIU – 7points - (68-63)
7 points, on 5 of 6 from the line. He played a solid game.

24. 2018 -SIU - 7 points - (61-51)
He, personally, played good enough, within his role to win. Not his fault. Granted he was in for 35 minutes, but that team, with its talent, should never have been finishing games in the 50s.

25. 2018 -BALL STATE- 8 points - (off bench 19 min)
Decent showing. Went 4-5 from the line.

26. 2018 -MARYLAND - 9 points - (55-41)
Another game where everyone played poorly. Ugauk was actually one of the few that played decent. He went 5-5 from the line. NOBODY scored in that one for us.

27. 2018 -CREIGHTON – 18 points - (61-51)
It looked like him and Kaifes were the only ones to show up. Terrible way for Custer and Townes to end their careers.

CONCLUSION

At best, you can put some blame on Aher for losses in about 13 games – but that’s AT MOST. Obviously though, there are other factors that can play into those losses though. Aher is NOT a bad player. He's just doesn't help our offense in the style we play that much.

The telling thing in those Level 1 losses are games that we score less than 62 points; Bradley (51), Furman (58), Northern Iowa (62), Saint Joe’s (48), Illinois State (57), Wisconsin (63), Drake (62), Missouri State (52), Evansville (48), Colorado State (60). I think a lot of those losses can be related to the lack of offense from Uguak that had a trickle-down effect on our ability to score. We scored 62 points or less in 19 of our 27 losses.

My conclusion is that our defense as a whole is good, and it’s not just Uguak. We struggle to win games when the score is low. Scoring in the 70s against good teams is key.

Uguak is a good player, but I think sacrificing some defense for some offense to put our scoring totals in the 70s would likely lead to more wins. If we’ve got scorers that can play the 4 besides Uguak, it probably wouldn’t hurt to try them.

The bottom line is, I think every team's plan against us is to play all our shooters tight at the beginning of the game and leave Uguak loose. I know that's what Mullins plan is going to be if Uguak's still in the lineup when we play SIU. If we put Welch and Anderson out there in the first half, I think our shooters will be freed up to start, they'll start to roll, and we'll finish first half's in the low to mid 40s as opposed to being in the 30s. This will give us a better shot to get into the 70s by the end of the game, have a lead, and give us a better change to win.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:40 pm 

Toledo is approaching ahunte-level formatting skills!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:27 pm 

I'm loving all of the thought and detail that have been put into these posts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:10 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
With all the questions regarding Uguak, I decided to comb through the past two seasons and analyze it. I wanted to try and be objective and decide whether he helps us or hurts us in tough games, and if so, in what games has it been a factor.

The first thing that was needed was a baseline offensive number to determine a positive game vs. a negative game. This would be the lowest amount a starter can score in a game and still be considered a meaningful asset (with defense and other stats). I came up with 6 points. I figure, each starter needs to be able to score 6 points in a game to keep the defense honest and not have any of your other stats or contributions be a wash (or even a negative) because of your lack of offensive production. If you score 5 points or less as a starter, odds are, no matter what else you did, you most likely didn’t help the team. For instance, in a game where Uguak is assigned to guard AJ Green, who is averaging 20 points per game; if Green gets held to 12 points, but Uguak scores 0 – he didn’t help us in that hypothetical game at all. If Uguak scores at least 6 and Green gets 12, that’s a different story. The problem is, from looking through every game, the hope that Uguak’s defense is surpassing his offensive ineffectiveness is not reflected in the numbers.

Uguak has played 71 games in a Loyola uniform.

From those 71 games:
- 42 games he has scored 5 points or fewer; (60%);
- 29 games he has scored 6+ points in a game;
- Only 13 (of those 27 games) times has he scored 6+ points in a game against a team with a regular season winning record.

2018-2019 SEASON

Loyola Goes 20-14.

Uguak scores 6+ in 14 games
Uguak scores 5 points or less in 20 games

Games he scored 6+ in:
UMKC – 8 points (Losing Record) - WIN -
NIAGRA – 15 points (Losing Record) - WIN -
BALL STATE – 8 points (Losing Record) - LOSS
MARYLAND – 9 points (Winning Record) - LOSS
INDIANA STATE – 19 points (Losing Record)- WIN
VALPO – 12 points (Losing Record) - WIN
INDIANA STATE – 10 points (Losing Record) - LOSS
SIU – 9 points (Winning Record) - WIN
DRAKE – 6 points (Winning Record) - WIN -
BRADLEY – 6 points (Winning Record) - LOSS

MISSOURI STATE – 6 points (16-16) - LOSS
SIU – 7 points (Winning Record) - LOSS
BRADLEY – 8 points (Winning Record) - WIN
CREIGHTON – 18 points (Winning Record) - LOSS

BUT, under the analysis I’m using, based on the talent we had, we presume we would have beaten any team that finished the season with a losing record, regardless of Uguak playing. So for instance, while he technically helped us scoring 15 points against Niagara, we weren’t going to lose to Niagara if he didn’t play. So,

Against teams with winning records, Uguak scored 6+ points 7 times.

2019-2020 SEASON

Loyola Goes 21-11.

Uguak scores 6+ in 15 games
Uguak scores 5 points or less in 16 games

Games he scored 6+ in:
UC-DAVIS – 8 points (Losing Record) - WIN
FURMAN – 8 points (Winning Record) - LOSS
St. Joseph’s – 12 points (Losing Record) - WIN
IUPUI – 9 points (Losing Record) – WIN
QUINCY – 6 points (NOT D1) - WIN
EVANSVILLE – 12 points (Losing Season) - WIN
ILLINOIS STATE – 7 points (Losing Season) - WIN
INDIANA STATE – 8 points (Winning Season) - WIN
SIU – 7 points (16-16) - LOSS
BRADLEY – 8 Points (Winning Season) - WIN
EVANSVILLE – 9 points (Losing Season) - WIN
ILLNOIS STATE – 9 points (Losing Season) - WIN
DRAKE – 6 points (Winning Season) - WIN
BRADLEY – 11 points (Winning Season) - WIN

VALPO – 7 points (but 6 missed free throws) (Winning Season) - LOSS

BUT, under the analysis I’m using, based on the talent we had, we would have beaten any team that finished the season with a losing record, regardless of Uguak playing. So for instance, while he technically helped us scoring 9 against Quincy, and 12 and 9 against Evansville , we weren’t going to lose to those games if he didn’t play. So,

[b]Against teams with winning records, Uguak scored 6+ points 6 times.
[/b]

LOSSES

The real assessment comes in the losses. If Uguak sucks, but we still win the game, it is frustrating, but tough to get upset about it. A win is a win, and to NOTE – Uguak has 44 of them. So in what games has he HURT is in terms of the final result of each loss?

Uguak failed to score 6 or more points in 18 of our 27 losses.

Analyzing Uguak’s play in the 27 losses we’ve had in 2+years, this is how I would rank them:

LEVEL 1 – BAD GAMES:

1. 2019 - VALPO – 7 points - (74-73-OT)
ARCH MADNESS - We played a bad game as a team (except Clemons who had 28 points), but Uguak missed 6 free throws (3 of 9), and could have closed that game out. This one was devastating. Cost us a shot to win another title.

2. 2018 -BRADLEY – 2 points - (53-51)
ARCH MADNESS – A season of playing and he could only get 2 points, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 1 rebound. A two point loss in a low scoring affair. With everyone jammed up and struggling, him standing on the wing and only taking 2 shots did not help create opportunities for our shooters.

3. 2018 - FURMAN - 5 points - (60-58)
Granted it was his second game, but 5 points, and 1 for 10 from the field (10%) lost this game for us. This was a loaded team coming back, and this loss really took the wind out our sales coming off the final four run.

4. 2019 - RICHMOND – 0 points - (73-71)
Yeah… Zero points. This game is fresh.

5. 2019 - COPPIN STATE – 5 points - (76-72)
One of the more embarrassing losses of the new Rambler Era. 4 turnovers for Uguak in 29 minutes AND he fouled out of the game.

6. 2019 – NORTHERN IOWA - 3 points - UNI (67-62 OT)
Uguak doesn’t do anything in 24 minutes. All of UNI’s scorers had double figures and no had issues against him defensively. UNI starts had 19, 16, 13,12 and 11.

7. 2018 - SAINT JOES - 2 (45-42).
2 points in 21 minutes. He had 1 assist. This one can be pinned on him, but with only 42 points total, nobody was playing particularly well offensively.

8. 2018 -ILLINOIS STATE - 0 (65-57)
0 Points in 29 minutes. 0-3 from the line. This game was winnable.

9. 2020 - WISCONSIN – 0 points – (77-63)
0 points, an assist, and 4 rebounds. This game was ugly at the end, but we were still in the game half-way through.

10. 2019 - DRAKE – 3 points - (65-62)
It wasn’t just Uguak’s lack of scoring with only 3 points in this one. It was the 1-5 from the line again.

11. 2019 - MISSOURI STATE – 0 points - (64-52)
0 Points in 18 minutes. Winnable game. This was the type of game where it seemed like our opponant’s defense is playing 5 on 4.

12. 2018 -EVANSVILLE - 0 (67-48)
0 points in 26 minutes…. BUT we Lost by 19, so not that big of a deal.

13. 2019 - COLORADO STATE – 4 (61-60)
Another horrible game for Aher - 4 points, 3 turnovers.

LEVEL 2 – AHER’S SO-SO GAMES

14. 2019 - SOUTH FLORIDA – 5 points - (66-55)
Rough game for everyone. Aher did all right.

15. 2019 - DAVIDSON – 5 points - (59-56)
So-So game. We Did have a chance to win though.

16. 2018 -MISSOURI STATE – 6 points - (65-51)
Borderline bad game for him. 6 points in 30 minutes.

17. 2019 - FURMAN -8 points – (87-63)
Total beatdown. Everyone sucked. He played all right. Aher turned the ball over 5 times though!

18. 2019 - ISUb – 5 points - (68-39)
Not his fault. Yeah he scored ZERO, but the whole team only scored 39.

19. 2018 -BRADLEY – 6 points - (61-54)
32 minutes. 3 of 6 from the field.

20. 2018 -NEVADA - 2 points - (79-65)
Nobody played well this game. Ugauk gets 2 points, but only played 11 minutes.

21. 2018 -BOSTON COLLEGE – 5 points - (78-66)
29 minutes, 5 points. 1 for 4 from the field. 4 turnovers! But we lose by 12 anyway.

22. 2018 - MISSOURI STATE – 0 points - (70-35)
Another terrible game by Uguak…. But I’m pretty sure he wasn’t a 35 point liability that night.

LEVEL 3 – GOOD GAMES BY AHER IN LOSSES

23. 2019 - SIU – 7points - (68-63)
7 points, on 5 of 6 from the line. He played a solid game.

24. 2018 -SIU - 7 points - (61-51)
He, personally, played good enough, within his role to win. Not his fault. Granted he was in for 35 minutes, but that team, with its talent, should never have been finishing games in the 50s.

25. 2018 -BALL STATE- 8 points - (off bench 19 min)
Decent showing. Went 4-5 from the line.

26. 2018 -MARYLAND - 9 points - (55-41)
Another game where everyone played poorly. Ugauk was actually one of the few that played decent. He went 5-5 from the line. NOBODY scored in that one for us.

27. 2018 -CREIGHTON – 18 points - (61-51)
It looked like him and Kaifes were the only ones to show up. Terrible way for Custer and Townes to end their careers.

CONCLUSION

At best, you can put some blame on Aher for losses in about 13 games – but that’s AT MOST. Obviously though, there are other factors that can play into those losses though. Aher is NOT a bad player. He's just doesn't help our offense in the style we play that much.

The telling thing in those Level 1 losses are games that we score less than 62 points; Bradley (51), Furman (58), Northern Iowa (62), Saint Joe’s (48), Illinois State (57), Wisconsin (63), Drake (62), Missouri State (52), Evansville (48), Colorado State (60). I think a lot of those losses can be related to the lack of offense from Uguak that had a trickle-down effect on our ability to score. We scored 62 points or less in 19 of our 27 losses.

My conclusion is that our defense as a whole is good, and it’s not just Uguak. We struggle to win games when the score is low. Scoring in the 70s against good teams is key.

Uguak is a good player, but I think sacrificing some defense for some offense to put our scoring totals in the 70s would likely lead to more wins. If we’ve got scorers that can play the 4 besides Uguak, it probably wouldn’t hurt to try them.

The bottom line is, I think every team's plan against us is to play all our shooters tight at the beginning of the game and leave Uguak loose. I know that's what Mullins plan is going to be if Uguak's still in the lineup when we play SIU. If we put Welch and Anderson out there in the first half, I think our shooters will be freed up to start, they'll start to roll, and we'll finish first half's in the low to mid 40s as opposed to being in the 30s. This will give us a better shot to get into the 70s by the end of the game, have a lead, and give us a better change to win.

Mr. Uguak rises to present his defense:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next