It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:24 am 

TR....I bet you take a look at Porters stats and Uguak,,,is several wins above replacement to use a baseball term....but the most obvious is that Porter continues to start him.....despite some poor outside shooting stats...Coach is a defensive coach first.and often we keep the other teams top scorer way below their normal offensive output and usually it is Uguak who has that task although Coach has some complicated defensive plans....The other thing is that Coach has a good sense of whether the game needs offense or defense at that time in the game and subs accordingly....but I think defense will give Uguak the start..He may not be our best shooter but I think he does not make mental mistakes....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:28 am 

natetheskate wrote:
TR....I bet you take a look at Porters stats and Uguak,,,is several wins above replacement to use a baseball term....but the most obvious is that Porter continues to start him.....despite some poor outside shooting stats...Coach is a defensive coach first.and often we keep the other teams top scorer way below their normal offensive output and usually it is Uguak who has that task although Coach has some complicated defensive plans....The other thing is that Coach has a good sense of whether the game needs offense or defense at that time in the game and subs accordingly....but I think defense will give Uguak the start..He may not be our best shooter but I think he does not make mental mistakes....

Agreed. Uguak will start this year. He started almost every game on a 21 win team that went 15-4 in conference, with everyone coming back, plus the addition of two shooters in Norris and Kaifes. His defense can’t be disregarded.

I’m actually optimistic about Aher this year. The problem last year was his offensive deficiency was glaring due to our inconsistent outside shooting. This year, with Krutwig manning the middle, and 3 40% three-point shooters on the outside, we shouldn’t NEED him to do anything on offense.

What would really get me excited about Uguak this year would be if we employed a full-court press after made baskets. With our horses and ability to sub guards in and out at-will, if we can pressure and trap the ball in the backcourt and force high passes from players trying to get it over time timeline, Uguak’s athleticism would allow him to pick off those passes and get turnovers at midcourt.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:27 am 

Uguak flashed what he is capable of doing on offense in the NIT game vs Creighton...but it seems like we used him differently in that game and haven't gone back to that since. Agreed that his defense is needed and he shuts down the opposing team's best player on a nightly basis. But on offense, he really shouldn't be put in position where he has to dribble or shoot. Basically either slash/lay-ups or immediately pass the ball to Krut or an outside shooter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:58 am 

He also doesn’t have a bad handle when he pushes the ball up after a rebound in the past. If he can keep it tight, I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of a quick PnR with him and Krut, surrounded by 3 shooters

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:14 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
I’m actually optimistic about Aher this year. The problem last year was his offensive deficiency was glaring due to our inconsistent outside shooting. This year, with Krutwig manning the middle, and 3 40% three-point shooters on the outside, we shouldn’t NEED him to do anything on offense.

Agreed, both years Uguak's been here we haven't had much shooting depth which really meant the floor shrank when he was out there. Hopefully this season he'll have more room than ever to operate... If nothing else he'll continue to be an excellent defender and a weapon in transition... But I definitely see him being challenged more than most next year for playing time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:43 pm 

all good comments on our not perfect Ugauk....but isnt it great we are talking Rambler basketball....just hoping all teams can stay safe and we can watch some Rambler bball.......maybe we should have a Ramblermania Zoom watch party???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:12 am 

We were 15-2 last year when scoring 65 points or more (losses to Coppin State and Valpo in overtime in St. Louis). We were 6-9 when scoring 64 or lower. If we are looking for at-large consideration we can’t have 15 games where we score less than 65 with the amount of offensive power we have.

Last year:
55-66 against South Florida (2-9 3pt, 22%)
60-61 against Colorado State (4-14 3pt, 28%)
56-59 against Davidson (4-15 3pt, 27%)
62-65 against Drake (6-21 3pt, 26%)
62-67 against UNI (overtime) (8-26 3pt, 31%)
63-68 against southern Illinois (5-21 3pt, 24%)

Also, with the exception of the SIU game, we never shot above 66% from the line in any of those losses.

All those games were winnable, and if we hit just 1 or 2 more threes in just one of those last three games, we have another share of a conference title. Shooting an average of 27 percent from three in those losses as opposed to 32% was the difference between us being 21-11 as opposed to 27-5.

I like that we are a defensive minded team, but with only 2 losses (1 regular season) when we score 65+ and 9 losses when we go 64 or under, my hope is that our improved shooting will fix the problem. With even marginal improvement to our 3-pt shooting game, we should be very excited about what this team can do. They’ve proven that they can be an outstanding team last year, with only 2 clear weaknesses - consistent 3-pt. shooting and free throws. It looks like we are prime to improve in one of those categories .... I’m still worried about the other.