It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Loyola Fall sports
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
I can't believe I am coming to JC64's defense, but I do think people should show a little more tolerance for dissenting views, and try not to inject partisan politics into every discussion of the pandemic.

I wrote nothing about politics in my comment, let alone partisan politics.

Here is my comment in full:
Quote:
So tiresome. Every day it goes on, no matter how discredited the "I don't need no stinkin' mask" attitude becomes.

Where did I discuss politics? What was partisan about my comment?

Perhaps you think there is a partisan political connection behind wearing a mask and/or encouraging that everyone wears a 75-cent face and nose mask in the middle of a pandemic. I think it's something that should be done by people as a matter of courtesy toward others. Texas had 322 deaths from Covid-19 yesterday. Florida had 252. California, which shut down early, had success and then frittered away all their hard work by opening everything too early, had 114 deaths yesterday and passed New York in total cases last week. Nationwide, there were 1465 deaths yesterday. Two of these states have Republican leadership, and one has Democratic leadership.

Tell me which part of my quote was "[in}tolerance for dissenting views?" Why are dangerous practices that threaten to infect others with diseases and lengthen the pandemic just "dissenting views?" We require people to wear seat belts. We require people to wear pants in public. I guess if you run every stop sign, you're merely expressing a dissenting view...

Show me, like I'm a 10-year old child, exactly where I "inject[ed] partisan politics" into it. Please, show me where, because I can't find it....

swellafelon wrote:
JC64 said nothing about masks, either directly or by implication.

Please show where I mentioned politics, either directly or "by implication."

swellafelon wrote:
JCT's reply came straight out of LEFT field and is a dishonest distortion of 64's post. I don't know what 64's position is on masks and neither does JCT.

I say your reply to my message was a dishonest distortion of my post. Now you know what my position is. Here's a summary...

If the US had adopted mask-wearing and followed its coordinated national shutdown with masking and social distancing, we wouldn't have to worry about whether we'd be playing outdoor sports in the fall. We might even have non-con college basketball this fall/winter.

But instead, we as a society went with happy talk. We went with "reductio ad absurdum arguments." We went with wishing it away, every state for themselves, magic miracle cures, miracle medicines, "why don't we try to achieve herd immunity?", ignoring the problem, second-guessing the scientists, not speaking of the problem, not thinking about the problem, dismissing it because only certain demographics were being impacted, smack talking other states, and letting politicians try to politicize it all.

Obviously, the 150,000 dead, 4 million sick, 50 million applying for unemployment and the economy crippled still hasn't become quite terrible enough to develop a frickin' consensus, listen to doctors, and follow through to get this nightmare over with.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:42 am 

It is hard to make it NOT a political discussion when we depend on politicians to react to the crisis.....and there is enough evidence from the countries and communities that have successfully diminished the threat to understand what works....I am not casting stones at any one political entity,,,,just stating that this current group has been very unsuccessful at dealing with the crisis, not saying that any other political entity would be better. I also hold no animosity towards any individual on the blog....as I think we all share the same priority which is to be able to watch LU basketball and hopefully in person. There are bigger discussions to be had from media literacy to people who will not use the vaccine when it is developed to the danger of ultra partisan politics ( a key for New Zealand was a constitutional amendment that changed the political party structure allowing for better and compromised cooperation between political groups) but not on the bb board.The connection here is that the CO19 intersects with our desire to watch LU play basketball. Having said that I will state my opinion that unless something changes we will not be watching LU basketball in person....maybe we can organize a ZOOM board watch party if indeed they play this season......I nominate Swella to do the half time show......25 to do post game.....anybody out there with good legs? to be the cheerleader? (was that inappropriate?) and JCT to moderate. Good Health to everyone.

If you are interested https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20485449

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:09 am 

AND NOW BACK TO OUR NORMAL PROGRAMMING.

IT APPEARS THAT THE DEPARTING DEPAUL ATHLETIC DIRECTOR INKED THE TWO YEAR DEAL TO RENEW THE LOYOLA SERIES THE DAY BEFORE
SHE ANNOUNCED HER RESIGNATION.

WE SHOULD ALL SEND HER A THANK YOU CARD.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:41 am 

Ahunte and natethesnake are examples of left-leaning but fair minded and tolerant citizens.

JCT is a partisan hack.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 am 

25yearstreak wrote:
AND NOW BACK TO OUR NORMAL PROGRAMMING.

IT APPEARS THAT THE DEPARTING DEPAUL ATHLETIC DIRECTOR INKED THE TWO YEAR DEAL TO RENEW THE LOYOLA SERIES THE DAY BEFORE
SHE ANNOUNCED HER RESIGNATION.

WE SHOULD ALL SEND HER A THANK YOU CARD.

The big question, however, is whether there are any easy outs in that deal where DePaul could back out?

It might be interesting how COVID budgetary concerns might impact a school’s ability or willingness to pay significant buyouts just so they don’t have to play certain schools.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:58 am 

I like Nate's idea of a zoom party. The gatherings Nate organized in Barrington (watch parties) last year were fantastic.

Our AD did make the comment that in person game attendance would be determined by many factors including obviously what the city of Chicago and the State of Illinois allow. Regardless safety of athletes, students and alums is the stated number one priority.

Given the tone of the comments, I would say 55-45 against in game attendance.
If fans allowed in the stands, social distancing would severely (my words) the size of the crowd.
I would say 80-20 that the non con schedule would be cancelled. MVC schedule delayed until after first of year and then modified so that two road games placed within three days (like Horizon League)to limit travel.

There are a lot of modifications when team travels that were mentioned. Box lunches, no restaurant meals, more bus, less airfare. special sections at hotel and limited interface with public. Waivers where interstate travel would require quarantine. Luckily athletic department is putting in the work NOW for different scenarios. These guys are not sitting on their hands and are well led.

SECOND PARAGRAPH IS ALL MY CONJECTURE BY READING TEA LEAVES AT AN ALUMNI ZOOM MEETING.

THERE WAS A STATEMENT THAT NCAA WOULD DO EVERYTHING TO HAVE THE NCAA TOURNEY. AND THE REASON IS MONEY! That is a near direct quote.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:07 am 

I neglected to include 01grad as an example of a fair minded and tolerant citizen, albeit of the centrist variety.

JCT is still a partisan hack.

(I promise to lay off politics and get back to basketball from now on.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:40 pm 

I only lean because i am over weight...partisan politics have integrated our society to the point that if you eat liberal foods like quiche and brie...the fat goes to the left side of your body....but if you eat boiled peanuts, pork rinds and lots of red meat it goes to the right side of your body...who knew?....
.I think the bus travel and 2 games in 3 days would hurt us. I remember early on Coach was advocating for more money so they could take more plane trips to games because the long bus rides really left them not as ready to play....although 2 in 3 might favor teams with deeper benches which could be us this year....thinking our matches would be.....(Evansville/Indian State), (Valpo/Illinois State) , (UNI/Drake), (Southern Ill, Bradley), and Missouri State stands alone,,,,,those are some tough back to backs on the road. Who else is going to have a deep experienced bench...seems like a lot of teams have a lot of new guys to integrate.
I am also starting to sell advertising for our Zoom watch parties.....NO political ads :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:33 am 

25yearstreak wrote:
I would say 80-20 that the non con schedule would be cancelled. MVC schedule delayed until after first of year and then modified so that two road games placed within three days (like Horizon League)to limit travel.

With schools delaying fall sports, I don't really see how winter sports would start on time.

Maybe there's a widely-available vaccine in five months. If there is not, you'll have what MLB has right now. Someone will get Covid and spread it around a team to the point where games are postponed or cancelled. The delays in symptoms and testing make this inevitable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:59 am 

The MVC football conference is going to attempt to play, with SIU practicing and scheduled to open against Kansas at the end of August. A game that was just recently scheduled after Wisconsin cancelled their contract with SIU, so the attempt is at least very real. A lot of what happens for basketball may depend on how schools are able (or unable) to handle football.