It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Loyola Fall sports
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:23 pm 

Based upon recently learned information, Loyola Fall sports have been cancelled per the Missouri Valley as well as non con opponents.

However, nothing has been decided relative to Winter sports.

IF the men's basketball season goes ahead as "planned",
men's basketball would include the following non conference games.

Furman at home
UIC (home or road was not specified)
Davidson (road)
DePaul ("road")
one game left
looking for a top 5 conference opponent. Been turned down by the big schools as they have seen our senior loaded roster.
looking for a Jesuit home and home ( very strong possibility San Francisco on the road.)
Myrtle Beach tourney still on track for week before Thanksgiving. Next year 21-22 Atlantis

The athletic department has done a great job of developing protocols for student athletes and testing. Very impressive as to what has been done.

Saw two great videos on Loyola and the athletic department and Loyola in general (the second is called Is Loyola still Loyola?) Kind of tear jerker.
The first featured highlights of the NCAA Final Four and showed the shots by Donte, Clayton and Marques. Just brought back such great memories. What a more innocent time.

Sister Jean 101st birthday August 21st.
Loyola documentary project on track.(on 63 team)

Because of sound fiscal management Loyola is in good shape including the athletic department. Loss of NCAA tourney put big hole in school budget and $45 million of $50 million shortfall has been made up without layoffs or furloughs.( some vacant positions not filled or delayed)

Alphie arena has been big factor in conditioning as it provides much needed extra space.

Slowly bringing athletes back to campus. What an impressive and thorough process. Would be hard to describe.( a new term I never heard was sub bubble.)

We are so lucky to have Steve Watson and his staff including Holly Straus-O'Brien.

Very impressive presentation. Great job by Loyola athletics.

Post subject: Re: Loyola Fall sports
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:42 am 

Are you saying the games you listed would be the ONLY non-con games we would play?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 am 

Steve Watson and people in the athletic department are quality people. ....and is great to know we are doing a great job of safely bringing athletes back. Having said that I would feel not so hot if our desire to see the Ramblers in any way contributes to the illness of one of LUs athletes....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:38 pm 

Agree completely Nate! Safety is first. We are on track for Missouri Valley schedule but there could be a problem getting teams into Illinois. Certain states like Iowa would have to quarantine 14 days before being allowed to play us. So that would impact Drake and Northern Iowa coming into the Joe.
It was mentioned that the Cubs had the same issue but got a waiver. That is why this weekend the Pirates can come to Chicago to play the Cubs.
It really is a bullshit rule that Chicago has. Ironically as far as I know it only pertains to Chicago so I guess such a game could be held in the suburbs but right now who knows how all of this would turn out.
The games mentioned plus the Myrtle Beach tourney where three games are "guaranteed" were the only ones mentioned. I don't if that fills out the dance card or not. Steve did say that there is one open game that they were looking to get against a Power five conference. This was mentioned as well as the San Francisco road game which looked "very promising".
It is possible that there will not be fans in the stands. Steve mentioned that they were working on enhanced camera coverage.
My guess, and that is all that it is, is that we will not be able to be in attendance and that the season will be delayed until January. No team wants to see the NCAA tourney be cancelled as that brings in a lot of revenue to all the schools.
It is all very frustrating but I know this our AD and his staff are all working hard, and determined to do the right thing but so much of this is beyond their control.
They are preparing to be able to respond to multiple scenarios. It was a great presentation on his part along with Holly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:39 pm 

Nate said: "Having said that I would feel not so hot if our desire to see the Ramblers in any way contributes to the illness of one of LUs athletes....'

So you do not think that any fans should be allowed to attend games until all communicable diseases eradicated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:48 pm 

JC64 wrote:
Nate said: "Having said that I would feel not so hot if our desire to see the Ramblers in any way contributes to the illness of one of LUs athletes....'

So you do not think that any fans should be allowed to attend games until all communicable diseases eradicated.

No he is simply a reasonable person thinking reasonable thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:56 pm 

NuncEstBibendum wrote:
JC64 wrote:

No he is simply a reasonable person thinking reasonable thoughts.

So tiresome. Every day it goes on, no matter how discredited the "I don't need no stinkin' mask" attitude becomes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:15 pm 

25, suburban Cook County has a travel order as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm 

"So you do not think that any fans should be allowed to attend games until all communicable diseases eradicated"
For most of our communicable diseases we have either effective treatments or prevention methods....for covid19 at this time we have neither.......this has become like the person who plays golf for the first time.....they think the highest number wins....nope the US is last...Just zoomed with my nephews daughter who teaches in Taiwan.......50 domestic cases...the rest were foreign workers coming in. they were quarantined. She says people still wear masks voluntarily. I know there are factors that are different but in general that there citizens acted in union,quickly was the key. Dont want to make this a political discussion but everyone knows that we blew our opportunity.Now it is a mess. My county will be returning to phase 3 with people kicking and screaming.......If we do not have basketball this year it is our own fault. reminds me of when I was a kid and I wouldnt eat my green beans,,,,I think I sat at the table till way into the night..b4 I finally ate em and got to go to bed....w/o desert.......which in this analogy would be going to watch LU play basketball.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:26 pm 

I can't believe I am coming to JC64's defense, but I do think people should show a little more tolerance for dissenting views, and try not to inject partisan politics into every discussion of the pandemic.
Firstly, JC64 said nothing about masks, either directly or by implication. JCT's reply came straight out of LEFT field and is a dishonest distortion of 64's post. I don't know what 64's position is on masks and neither does JCT.

I think it is useful to keep in mind that the current orthodox view on the efficacy of wearing masks is a recent phenomenon, and that both the World Health Organization and Dr. Fauci didn't recommend wearing masks just a few short months ago. Let's not act like this has been settled science for centuries. Recent scientific studies appear to lend support that masks are protective, but I think we are still short of conclusive proof. More studies are needed, which is one of the main reasons why I hate it when people try to stifle debate. Debate is a good thing. It sharpens the arguments of both sides. Everybody has a right to be heard, to express an opinion without being stereotyped as an ignorant evil bandit from the movie Treasure of Sierra Madre. Today's orthodoxy may become tomorrow's fallacy if we continue to debate and study the issue. That's ideally how both science and democracy work.

I wear a mask and support the right of government to mandate the wearing of masks (even based on less than conclusive evidence) but let's stop treating mask skeptics as idiots.

Secondly, what 64 did in truth was simply make a classic Reductio ad Absurdum argument that it is impossible to entirely eliminate the risk of transmitting an airborne communicable disease in group settings. Can natethesnake or anybody else on Ramblermania who has ever gone to a Rambler game prove he has never infected a player or fan with the flu, the common cold or any other viral or bacterial disease? I can't.

I think this is a rather facile argument, but it does serve to illustrate the point that you can't eliminate all risk in life.

To me that is the main sticking point in the Covid-19 debate. Everybody has a different risk tolerance, and people of good will can differ about how best to manage the risk posed by the disease.
I confess that since the start of the pandemic I have gone back and forth on whether we were over- or under-reacting to the threat of the virus. It often depends on what the last thing I read on the subject said. To this day I don't know what the right answer is, which is why I don't want to silence people from speaking their minds through ridicule or social pressure.