It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mid Summer Update
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:52 pm 

Thought we needed to an updated thread as we are now in mid summer.

Post subject: Re: Mid Summer Update
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:01 pm 

I have a dream, a " A Midsummer Night's Dream." I dream that The Ramblers will play a full schedule of basketball games this coming season. I dream that I will attend all home games of this season and that The Ramblers will be victorious in all of these contests. I dream that I will attend the MVC Men's Basketball Tournament in March 2021, and that The Ramblers will emerge as champion of the tournament. I dream that The Ramblers will win the 2021 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.
"I have had a dream."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:02 am 

JC64 wrote:
I have a dream, a " A Midsummer Night's Dream." I dream that The Ramblers will play a full schedule of basketball games this coming season. I dream that I will attend all home games of this season and that The Ramblers will be victorious in all of these contests. I dream that I will attend the MVC Men's Basketball Tournament in March 2021, and that The Ramblers will emerge as champion of the tournament. I dream that The Ramblers will win the 2021 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.
"I have had a dream."

It could happen...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:21 am 

I believe all that had been written and said re our gang----this team can and will do great things --A NCAA bid and at least THREE wins in it !!! WE shall then be a national factor--like Zags

Proceed rapidly RAMBLERS !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:38 pm 

I definitely think this year is an NCAA tournament quality team. Part of me is wondering if a no non-con season hurts us or helps us, as far as getting in.

If we played just the 18 games season, I could see us And Northern Iowa both going 17-1. (if everyone stayed healthy and on the court). If that happened, and all the other power 5 teams beat up on each other, does that put both of us in the tournament?

Just looking around the league vs. what we have - I could see us going anywhere from as high as 18-0 and as low as 14-4. I don't see us losing 5 conference games with the talent we have.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 pm 

There will be some type of college basketball season, even if it isn't a normal one. From listening to most of the science guys, we should have a vaccine ready to be widely distributed by the end of the year.

While I'm quite frankly disappointed that this non-conference part of the season will be thrown into flux due to external forces no one can really control, I think this lack of spring/summer/fall practices will benefit a senior laden team that's played a lot together like ours. The quality of basketball in general will go down, but it will really be apparent with a young team with a lot of incoming players (i.e. SIU). Those teams will most certainly struggle to gel.

As for recruiting, I wonder how tough it will be for PM to 1.) fill a big class with players that meet his standards and 2.) parry off whatever rumors that he'll bolt at the end of the season (especially if we do have another great season). I don't know for certain, but I think I have a hunch that Mullins would try to out-recruit us by laying seeds of doubt that PM would not be here after this upcoming year. Or at least that's what I tell myself to make me feel better about losing out on D'Amico.

Also, I cannot wait for baseball to come back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:51 pm 

Siri, play “The Boys are Back in Town” by Thin Lizzy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:25 am 

So I recognize Coach, Kennedy and Ugak,,,,,,who are the rest of the guys,,,,I thought the tallest player was Big Frank but looked too skinny..

also Coach,,,as fast and energetic as he talks, may swallow that mask.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 am 

I believe the taller kid in front of Uguak is the transfer from Indiana.
Kid with the ball and back to the camera looks like Clemons. The kid to his left is maybe Norris?

As a side, if anyone else was listening to the Zoom last night, did I hear that Porter hinted there might be another commitment this week? It was brief, and they couldn’t mention any names obviously, but I think that’s what he said.

Last edited by 01grad on Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:03 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
I could see us going anywhere from as high as 18-0 and as low as 14-4. I don't see us losing 5 conference games with the talent we have.

I agree. We've averaged 13 wins over the past three years, and we have a team loaded with seniors. 13-5 would actually be somewhat disappointing, I think.