It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:54 pm 

It's possible.

I.C.E. just revised its student visa rules to provide that international students can no longer remain in the United States if all their classes are online. At least some courses must be in-person. This has caused an understandable furor in higher education circles and Harvard and MIT have already challenged the rule in court.

The current Loyola plan is to offer a mix of online and in-person classes but that obviously could change as the course if the pandemic evolves.
My guess is that the rule will be revoked or modified to allow most international students to remain in the country, but in the meantime it certainly would be nerve wracking for those potentially affected.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/08/88890452 ... ule-change

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:09 pm 

If the rule stands, I can see colleges coming up with half-credit "in-person" courses where attendance is optional...or something like that.

What a sham of a rule. The visa students that I attended undergrad and grad school with paid rent, worked jobs, contributed to society--why are we trying to push them out? I mean, I think I know the 'real' answer to that. Just embarrassing that we even need to debate this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm 

Loyola put out a statement against ICE and will do what is needed

https://www.luc.edu/coronavirus/previousmessages/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:08 am 

I wonder whether ICE issued its revised student visa rule as part of Trump's campaign to reopen schools in the fall?
It certainly puts added pressure on colleges with a significant population of international students to have in-person classes. Harvard, which sued to overturn the rule, has a lot of int'l students and recently announced its intention to conduct all its courses online.
The Trump Administration has also threatened to withhold federal funds from schools which fail to hold in-person classes.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/1 ... rus-356721

Further research pretty much confirms my speculation about the intent of the rule:
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... eturn-home

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:33 am 

17 States, including Illinois, sue Trump administration over student visa rule:
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... dents-rule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:55 am 

There were several statements by "officials" stating that they thought the rule would encourage schools to open with students in the classroom. Problems and issues with reopening schools are many

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:59 am 

Nate, am I right that you taught high school?
If so I would like to hear your perspective on reopening schools in the fall. Would you be concerned about your health as a teacher? Do you think online classes are an effective alternative, etc.?

My uneducated opinion is that we should reopen grade schools for sure, because young kids are at low risk of getting sick from the virus, and the benefits of attending school at that age far outweigh the risks. On a tv newscast yesterday 5 pediatricians with school age kids were asked whether they would hesitate to send their kids back to school and all said no without equivocation.
As kids enter high school the cost benefit ratio tightens a bit, and online instruction may be better suited for older kids, but I still think on balance high schools should reopen.
As for residential colleges, the question is a little bit tougher still because of the dorm situation, college students' proclivity for risky behaviors and congregating in herds, and the fact that the students generally come from a lot of different places, posing the risk of spreading the virus geographically through travel. Still debating this one in my head, but leaning toward reopening.
Of course any school that reopens must take appropriate safety measures.
Thanks!