It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Early Summer Update
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:50 am 

JCT wrote:
While taking a film class at Loyola in 1993, I wrote a term paper on the 1950 Elia Kazan film, Panic in the Streets-- starring Richard Widmark, Jack Palance, Zero Mostel, and Barbara Bel Geddes.

The film is about an outbreak of pneumonic plague in New Orleans, and the federal government's attempt to curb the outbreak when we still did things like that. The plot was a metaphor for the HUAC inquisition, and Kazan ratted out Zero Mostel to but him on a blacklist during the McCarthy years (Senator Joe, not Cormac).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_i ... eets_(film)

I got a B on the paper, and I was very disappointed because I thought I was fabulously clever.

Was that Fr. Phillips's class?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:55 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:

Nope, Jeffrey Harder's class. I think he was still at Loyola when you were there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:42 pm 

So Penn as an Ivy League school can’t participate in our Myrtle Beach tournament? I doubt it takes place anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:23 pm 

As much as it pains me to say, this year is probably going to go to be one of the saddest years for us. We have one of the most talented teams, top to bottom, that we’ve ever seen, and we most likely won’t get to see them reach their potential.

I don’t think we will have a non-conference season. Even if somehow we do get to play games, we either are going to be stifled by players going in and out of the lineup missing 2 to 3 weeks, and we will play teams that have the same problem. They are going to play in 3/4 empty gyms... Play is probably going to be sloppy because there’s going to be less conditioning. We are probably going to see a lot of frustration because in order to keep guys on the team everyone is either going to have to be a hermit, or break strict team rules....

I want to be optimistic but it just seems like it’s gonna be a big mess. I feel really bad for our seniors... especially Krutwig and Williamson, who were so valuable in their freshmen years to the big run. This is going to be a sad way for them to go out...

Seeing how things are going, I really want to see Hebb redshirt if we aren’t going to play a full season. I’d like him to have 4 full years, and while he could be an excellent additional weapon down the stretch, I don’t know if we will really NEED him yet if we have a condensed season.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:35 am 

JCT wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:

Nope, Jeffrey Harder's class. I think he was still at Loyola when you were there.

I remember his class, I wasn't the biggest fan of his.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:47 am 

BigJoe1963 wrote:
JCT wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:

I remember his class, I wasn't the biggest fan of his.

BigJoe (and JCT), here's your chance to even the score. Remember, revenge is a dish best served cold.

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRa ... tid=110690

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:11 pm 

Maybe there will be a season after all....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BCSFJVC/re ... cFbGASSD3F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:43 am 

https://www.amazon.ca/BELKe120-Loyola-U ... B0776YNPMR

Because you can never be too safe:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/heal ... shing.html

I believe "Toilet Plume" is also the name of DePaul's mascot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:37 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
As much as it pains me to say, this year is probably going to go to be one of the saddest years for us. We have one of the most talented teams, top to bottom, that we’ve ever seen, and we most likely won’t get to see them reach their potential.

If there's no season, or even a silly truncated season like MLB, maybe our seniors would want to redshirt and come back as a group in 2021-22. Anderson and Hutson are the only commits for 21-22, so we could probably squeeze just about everyone in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 am 

Heaven forbid that this season is cancelled or greatly abbreviated, but if it is I believe the NCAA would likely make temporary rule changes for the next season to help the affected players.
I'm thinking of such measures as granting an extra year of eligibility (no need to sit out and red shirt), and expanding the number of allowable scholarships to accommodate the unexpectedly returning seniors and incoming recruits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next