It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Early Summer Update
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:28 pm 

Is this correct?
LU will have to budget over 1MM this year to test athletes in order to compete?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:50 pm 

LU 86 wrote:
Is this correct?
LU will have to budget over 1MM this year to test athletes in order to compete?

Besides pooled testing, another way the Athletic Department could save money would be to eliminate all women's sports. That simple expedient would immediately reduce testing costs by at least 50%!

At least that's what I would do if I was in Watson's shoes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 pm 

If I remember correctly LU is at the minimum for D1 sports. Can a smaller school even dump a sport and still maintain D1 status.
The other part of Elgin's article was the reduction in NCAA payout which is the double whammy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:25 pm 

This just occurred to me...What is the rationale for schools being obligated to test their athletes, but not the entire student body who are also on campus?
I'm thinking it might be that playing sports (particularly contact sports) may inherently require student athletes to violate social distancing protocol, but surely there are other school sanctioned/sponsored activities that do likewise, such as choirs, drama, dance, commuting on the shuttle bus between campuses, living in dorms, nurses and med. students getting practical training in hospitals, etc.
I guess it could also be the travel required of a student athlete.

I mean I'm not against athletes being tested, and I'm not necessarily advocating that the schools test everybody, but I do think the rationale is a little thin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:42 pm 

LU 86 wrote:
If I remember correctly LU is at the minimum for D1 sports. Can a smaller school even dump a sport and still maintain D1 status.
The other part of Elgin's article was the reduction in NCAA payout which is the double whammy.

There must be a waiver process because we only sponsor 13 sports, and the minimum is supposed to be 14.

New article says UNI staff and coaches are taking salary reductions to cover a $1M budget gap.

Rumors on Twitter that the B1G is going to play conference games only in football.

The testing regimes make a lot more sense in the "bubble" system that pro sports are trying to implement. This whole thing could fall apart quickly. At least players would keep their eligibility.

- Cormac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:04 pm 

Are you trying to make "Cormac" the male equivalent of "Karen"?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:38 pm 

Probably not a great film to watch during a global pandemic, but I watched THE ROAD (2009) about two years ago, and when the pandemic news gets dark and disturbing, I'm reminded of it. The film is based on the Pulitzer Prize winning novel by Cormac McCarthy, who also happened to write No Country for Old Men. If you really want pandemic nightmares so disturbing that you waking up screaming, read THE ROAD... or just wait for Ramblermania posts by Ahunte1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:49 pm 

Just finished watching The Killer That Stalked New York, a cheesy 1950 movie that dramatized the real 1947 smallpox outbreak in NYC. The outbreak killed only a few people and lasted just a couple months, but what's remarkable is that in a few short weeks over 6 million people received the smallpox vaccine. Also interesting is that even back then some people opposed vaccination, and that contact tracing was aggressively practiced to stem the spread of the virus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_Ne ... x_outbreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:38 pm 

While taking a film class at Loyola in 1993, I wrote a term paper on the 1950 Elia Kazan film, Panic in the Streets-- starring Richard Widmark, Jack Palance, Zero Mostel, and Barbara Bel Geddes.

The film is about an outbreak of pneumonic plague in New Orleans, and the federal government's attempt to curb the outbreak when we still did things like that. The plot was a metaphor for the HUAC inquisition, and Kazan ratted out Zero Mostel to but him on a blacklist during the McCarthy years (Senator Joe, not Cormac).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_i ... eets_(film)

I got a B on the paper, and I was very disappointed because I thought I was fabulously clever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:21 am 

JCT
Remember some people are too stupid to recognize greatness. Some people like LeCrone are intimidated by it.
There are a lot of stupid people in positions of authority. Most of one's bosses are total dolts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next