It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Early Summer Update
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:55 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
Samsung has no hitting.....always take the under if they are playing.

Disagree Nate. Samsung beefed up their lineup recently with a number of trades and promotions from the minors. Sure, their opening day squad was offensively challenged but they brought up Kim, Kim and Kim from their farm system and traded the light hitting Kim twins for the veteran slugger Kim and a Kim to be named later.
Their current batting order is nothing to sneeze at:

1. Kim second base
2. Kim shortstop
3. Kim left field
4. Kim center field
5. Kluszewski first base
6. Kim right field
7. Kim catcher
8. Kim third base
9. Kim designated hitter

https://www.economist.com/the-economist ... called-kim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:29 pm 

01, if you're looking for a good online sports betting opportunity may I recommend Japanese softball.
I have made a small fortune betting on the Subaru Rezu. Those gals can play!

https://medium.com/th-ink/how-subarus-b ... 1d5f4754fa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 pm 

I don’t know how things are back in Chicago, but I can tell you that here in Texas, things are not great. We opened up on May 1, and we were supposed to “phase” up to running at full-speed, but there was little to no enforcement of restaurant/bar restrictions from the start, and from what I have seen outside of Houston, the “Mask” vs. “No-Mask” in public thing is about 50%. I knew, because of our bold and quick reopening that we would be the test standard for seeing what happens when you open things up ... and it’s pretty much went poorly. Our leaders have also taken such a hard political stance that they’ll never shut down again, we pretty much are stuck with what’s happening unless then governor or the federal government steps in.

I think the NCAA and the schools are so freaked about all the money that will be lost if they don’t play the college football season that they are gonna try to press on. I also think we will end up seeing a lot of “forfeits” for the first time when individual teams get decimated with positive tests. There’s no way it’ll feel like a legitimate football season, at least competitively, when we will inevitably see teams’ Star players sitting out weeks at a time to quarantine once they test positive. Football is going to be a mess.

I think the NCAA will see within the first few weeks of football that the problems associated with trying to play are far greater than they anticipated.

I figure they’ll try to correct for basketball, cancel all non-con games and MTE’s, and try to just play conference schedules starting in January. If that’s the case, I almost would hope someone like Baylor Hebb redshirts so we get 4 full years out of him. It might be a waste of a season for a guy like him who might not work his way into the rotation with a shorter amount of games.

Does anyone know how OUR players are doing, and what plan, if any, they have for summer workouts and conditioning? Have we had anybody say they’ve tested positive? Did any of them stick around the university, and if so, are they able to use the practice facilities, etc.?

All I know is, with the lack of things to do, I ordered myself a basketball and went to the park to shoot around. I haven’t played in about 5 years. I stood at the free throw line and took 50 free throws just to see how I would do. I went 35 for 50. 70%! With all the time off our guys have had, if out free throw percentage of bad again this year, I’m going to be pissed. We were #323 in free throw percentage last year at 65%. Kentucky was #1 at 78%. There is no reason for us not to be in the 70s percentage-wise next year. It’s such an easy thing to work on, but is so important to the outcomes of games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:10 pm 

Looking at how bad things are in Arizona, Texas, Florida and many other places, I think a truncated basketball season is the best case scenario and an outright canceled season is the most likely outcome. Under Armour is trying to get out of their sponsorship deal with UCLA that's just a few years old.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -280m-deal

I don't think that UA would try to back out if they thought there would be a basketball season this year. And seeing how bad things are in LA and that they're a state school, I could see UCLA not playing even if other teams are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:37 am 

Toledo..70% I am impressed, nice job....My optimistic-pessimistic meter is slipping into the pessimistic zone....with increased cases among younger people, initial reports from college football athletes re-engaging with campus, the lack of any comprehensive plan by the NCAA, estimated time for a virus, the original cost for Remsdiviver at around 3500 bucks.....only 2 states yesterday showing declining rates, no real data on the effects of anti-bodies, no effective tracing plan in place,,etc, etc, Hope I am wrong. reminds me did anyone see the opening of rugby season in New Zealand ? stadium was full,,,no masks necessary, teams did not have to wear masks....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:56 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
Does anyone know how OUR players are doing, and what plan, if any, they have for summer workouts and conditioning? Have we had anybody say they’ve tested positive? Did any of them stick around the university, and if so, are they able to use the practice facilities, etc.?

I do not know the answers to your questions, but one thing about the team that I haven't seen mentioned here is that we were scheduled for our once-every-four-years foreign trip this year -- Australia. Obviously that's been cancelled.

ToledoRambler wrote:
All I know is, with the lack of things to do, I ordered myself a basketball and went to the park to shoot around. I haven’t played in about 5 years. I stood at the free throw line and took 50 free throws just to see how I would do. I went 35 for 50. 70%!

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
I stood at the free throw line and took 50 free throws just to see how I would do. I went 35 for 50. 70%!

Do you have any video proof...like this?

Unlike you, Air Bud NEVER misses. I don't care how long you watch this video it's always nothing but net! I stopped counting at 250 consecutive made free throws.
And he has fewer fingers than even Yor Anei, let alone your full complement of digits.
So I wouldn't get too cocky over your alleged "70%".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 pm 

Just out.... Loyola latest plan for Fall 2020...

Quote:
Key Fall 2020 dates:

Classes will begin on August 24th as scheduled.

Mid-Semester Break, which is scheduled for October 5-6, will be eliminated. These will be instruction days.

On-campus instruction will end on Sunday, November 22nd. Students will return home before Thanksgiving Break and remain at home for the remainder of the semester.

Classes will resume ONLINE on Monday, November 30th following the Thanksgiving Break.

As currently scheduled, December 5th will be the final day of classes.

Final exams will be administered online, December 7-12.

https://www.luc.edu/coronavirus/faqs/fa ... .shtml#q12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 pm 

President Rooney issued a personal statement today containing this pithy summary of Loyola's response to Covid-19:

Quote:
To all members of the Loyola community. In this difficult and challenging time, I would like to reassure you that Loyola's response to the pandemic is based on the overarching principle of Risk Avoidance and Mitigation Alternatives (R.A.M.A); that all alternative measures taken will be Legally Allowed and Medically Advised (L.A.M.A.); that we have devised our plans based not only on scientific research but also guided by prayer, in other words they are Divinely Inspired while Naturally Grounded (D.I.N.G.); and that our goal, to put it colloquially, is to have the Disease Over 'N Gone (D.O.N.G) as soon as possible. To summarize:
RAMA LAMA DING DONG

Together in Loyola,
Jo Ann Rooney JD, LLM, EdD
President

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:11 pm 

Here's a Sports Illustrated article about the NCAA floating the idea of starting the basketball season two weeks early and taking a break between Thanksgiving and New Year's-ish when many schools, including Loyola, may be on extended break. This would mean fewer non-conference games.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/06/n ... ason-early

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next