It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 73  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:56 am 

natetheskate wrote:
Just read the article on the 4 players vying for player of the year in the Sun Times......none of which are coming to LU.
Branden Huff Glenbard West...to Gonzaga
Nick Martinelli Glenbrook South to Elon U
Ty Rodgers Thorton....To Uof I
Jaden Schutt Yorkville Christian to Duke.
no shame in losing to some of those schools. but

Ulitimately Loyola's continued success is going to depend on getting good recruits.....or continuing to get pieces and get them to play great basketball....What bothers me a little about our end of season play is if it will effect recruiting ...also we really do not have anyone on staff with a real Chicago connection....am I correct on that.? Maybe the A-10 will increase our profile and help recruiting...but would have to help to get to the Dance again.

Not sure what their roles in recruiting are, but London is from Schaumberg and Jake is from Bloomington, so there are Illinois connections on the staff, just not one with an Assistant Coach title. The top 50-75 level recruits from Illinois are still far more likely pick a Gonzaga/Duke/Kentucky than even U of I, let alone Loyola. While I think getting some higher end local talents ever couple of years will be important to keep the "home-grown" element of the program, getting to the next level in the A10 is going to require the next level of recruit. There are only so many 3/4 star athletes in IL to be had, so it will be crucial to expand the recruiting footprint (as we have seen them been doing) and possibly taking a page out of the early Gonzaga playbook hitting a homer run in the international talent pool from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:28 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:15 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:30 am 

bmh_twosix wrote:

Another small big man. I would love to add another big on the transfer market as it's the only way we can realistically fill that hole next year. That said, we need someone bigger. We just aren't going to be able to compete at a high level playing so small. Especially with all the 3 point shooting we're going to lose. Nweke is pretty much identical to Chris Knight.

If we look at our competition next year:

Davidson has 3 guys 6 foot 9 or bigger
VCU has 2 guys 6 foot 9 or bigger
Dayton has 4 guys 6 foot 9 or bigger
The Bonnies have 3
St. Louis has 2
Richmond has 3
George Mason has 2

I could keep going, but we get the point. As things stand we're going to be at a massive size disadvantage next year unless Hutson shows up as the guy we saw towards the end of 2020, and against Arizona State. If not, I struggle to see how we're going to compete at a high level against in the A-10.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:00 am 

Newman104 wrote:
[W]e need someone bigger.

POLISH HAMMER TIME!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:22 am 

Interesting recent Patrick Wallace Twitter follow: Neal Quinn, a 7 ft. Junior center playing for Lafayette. Putting up good numbers. Supposed to be a slick passer ala Krut.
Quinn follows Wallace on Twitter. I wonder if Quinn put out feelers to Loyola about transferring based on Krut's success in our system. No official word about Quinn transferring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:51 am 

Interesting. Tons of assists.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:07 am 

swellafelon wrote:
Interesting recent Patrick Wallace Twitter follow: Neal Quinn, a 7 ft. Junior center playing for Lafayette. Putting up good numbers. Supposed to be a slick passer ala Krut.
Quinn follows Wallace on Twitter. I wonder if Quinn put out feelers to Loyola about transferring based on Krut's success in our system. No official word about Quinn transferring.

Great call noticing that. His numbers really pop out and given our lack of size/depth down low, seems like he'd be a natural fit. If he put up his same numbers at Loyola this year (obviously wouldn't given our system and depth), he'd be our leading scorer, leading rebounder and second in assists (only .2 behind Braden)...that's impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:19 am 

On a separate note Treyvon Lewis was just named a Mr. Basketball finalist in the state of Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:37 am 

swellafelon wrote:

Nice find! He looks like he would be a great addition and someone we could really use in the A10 next year. The passing big man was something we sorely lacked this year, and him being a 7 footer as well would be great defensively.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 73  Next