It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:21 am 

Bradley has said today that they plan to reopen to students on campus this Fall....May or may not happen......my guess is that many schools are facing dire economic situations and are going to give it a go to get tuition money and students in. I believe Bradley is the first MVC school to claim they will reopen in the Fall.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:40 am 

Iowa is one of the 7 states that had no stay at home order. So unless the hot spots from the meat packing plants flare up (one of the worst outbreaks is in Waterloo, near UNI), Iowa schools will probably open.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:17 am 

Universities will be facing some very tough financial decisions if they are not allowed to open in the fall. Bradley is already facing some financial stress (similar to the stress LU felt prior to Garanzini) so they REALLY need to be open this fall.

Related note, Northwestern is furloughing staff, cutting executive pay and tapping into its endowment (https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html).

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:40 am 

A neighbor of mine works in the student health department at Loyola. She told me that Loyola hopes to reach a decision on reopening by the end of June. They are formulating plans to segregate the student population based on tests for the virus antibodies and exposure to known victims.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:47 pm 

JC64 wrote:
A neighbor of mine works in the student health department at Loyola. She told me that Loyola hopes to reach a decision on reopening by the end of June. They are formulating plans to segregate the student population based on tests for the virus antibodies and exposure to known victims.

Any plans for treating graduate students and undergraduates differently? It seems strange to me to lump them together when graduate seminars are almost always small and no one lives on campus and undergraduates live in dorms and attend large lectures.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:59 pm 

She didn't go into any more detail than what I wrote. I believe she was addressing the undergraduate population.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:22 pm 

It has been reliably reported that Loyola will face a $50million budget shortfall if they do not have classes.
Now the issue then becomes will parents feel safe in sending their sons and daughters to live at Loyola. At this time, if I faced that for my son or daughter I would say no.
It was reported last night on the news that if some universities do not open, they may be forced to close permanently.
Marquette and Valparaiso were universities that have instituted severe budget cuts.
Loyola has historically relied upon tuition rather than any endowment. Northwestern has supposedly tapped into theirs.
Tough times for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:55 pm 

For the most part, I think 98% of the students will be fine. The bigger problem is any exposure to elderly/at-risk people in the students' lives. Most students will not severely feel the health effects of the virus, but the real risk is going to lie with faculty and staff, who will be around these kids all the time and statistically will be overwhelmingly much more susceptible to bad health outcomes. Then the question becomes whether you can logistically run a university if 40% of the faculty/staff is out of commission?

Fauci today said that although it'll be tough to have a vaccine that's readily available by the beginning of the school year, it's more likely that there's one by the end of the year. It puts just about every university in a no-mans-land position in regards to the first half of the year. It also goes to show how futile an exercise it is to predict out just what the next three months will look like.

The cold, calculating side of me thinks that most private universities are going to try to bite the bullet and open and try to salvage a semester if only to avoid completely catastrophic business outcomes. Even if enrollment drops by half, that's still some money going into the coffers rather than nothing. The public schools obviously will be much more at the whim of government bureaucrats & the government's "ability to print money." The California State University cancelling in-person classes this fall is a good indication of that.

The even colder and more calculating side of me hopes that the Anderson kid can really max out his 4 star potential or Welch and Wojcik transfer because now might be a really good time to raid some of those San Diego St. and Fresno St. players.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:41 pm 

I thought Fauci used the words " a bridge too far" to open schools in the Fall....Imagine once one person in a class...lets imagine a large group lecture tests positive....everyone has to quarantine for 14 days.(unless we have access to immediatley available testing)....I think this will need government intervention one way or another....This thing spreads quickly,,,if I got the story correct SKorea started to reopen, a man with the virus hit a couple bars...infected 43 people in 4 hours....each of those 43 infected an average of 11 people.... and that is with good tracking that they were able to do that. So that is one person with roughly 500 people and they caught him and the people he infected quickly. I think there best bet is to invest in is the highest quality cutting edge online plan they can....Hope I am 100% wrong....
and if they go ahead with students on campus they are going to have to invest for a health care plan that will convince parents and kids it is safe...what a mess.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:43 pm 

Oh superfan, you are one cold calculating guy.