It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:07 pm 

Agree for the most part, 25. Lower level employees at state schools-- especially in Illinois-- have taken a big hit economically over the past 5-7 years, and now they're prone to being downsized entirely.

But to your earlier comments, you kept mentioning no in-person classes for the first "quarter." Do you mean semester? The first semester would end around December 10, which would mean 5-8 of the first games of the season.

Has anyone seen any D1 school releasing a 2020-21 men's basketball schedule? I found this one from Division III Wheaton College.... https://athletics.wheaton.edu/sports/me ... l/schedule

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:24 pm 

So ...the worst case scenario for LU would be playing no games this year and players not getting a year returned....Next year is the year we have been pointing towards, and exceptional group of veteran players sprinkled with some pretty good youngsters......So I see this upcoming year also as the fertilizer for recruiting....If we dont play next year and next years seniors choose to not stay around or not allowed to stay around...we do not have much on paper....to help grab up to 5 new players in what is a very significant year....Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:27 am 

If the season were to be cancelled, I could almost guarantee that players would retain the year of eligibility. Didn't the NCAA just do that for spring sports this year?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:38 am 

A possible solution would be to require the players to comply with social distancing rules on the court.
I know it sounds farfetched, but I always managed to stay at least 6 feet away from the guy I was guarding, so D1 athletes should have no problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:04 pm 

I have a feeling that the market is going to dictate whether or not we have fans attending sporting events. Honestly, I think with people so freaked out, you might see 20% attendance at some stadiums even if the event is in non-hotspot states that do not have shutdown orders or laws strictly restricting capacity in effect. Maybe in other, less populated places in our country, 100,000 fans pack into a stadium for a football game. That said, there is too much money on the line for games to not be played at all or in completely closed stadiums. Heck, I could see the NFL moving the Bears to South Bend for a year if blue states like Illinois pass laws prohibiting mass gatherings.

I think this explains the absolutely crazy decision by Wake Forest today to pay Danny Manning over $15 million to not coach their basketball team during arguably the most massive economic depression in global history. No way you do that if you expect a college football and/or basketball season to be cancelled this year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:02 pm 

Glad somebody mentioned the Wake job. Think they talk to Porter? Guys lime Bielein are out there too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:00 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Glad somebody mentioned the Wake job. Think they talk to Porter. Guys lime Bielein are out there too.

I highly doubt they even call Porter.

I think Beilein would jump at this isn't getting any younger; plus he apparently wants to get back into the college ranks to help rehab his son's image. Forbes at ETSU (former Wichita St. assistant and Illinois St. assistant under Porter) would be a good hire. As would Odom at UMBC (whose father coached at Wake), Tim Duncan (duh), and Wes Miller at UNC-Greensboro (father is on the board of trustees and donated the money to build their practice facility).

There are a slew of others in that area who would take the job and do it for far less than Porter, which probably means something considering the ludicrous buyout. The rumor out there is Wes Miller's dad coughed up a sizeable chunk of that buyout, and will be the next head coach there. Spending $15 million while the world is on fire so your son can coach basketball in the ACC is father of the year material.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:28 pm 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/edu ... 018469001/

Purdue plans to be open this fall...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:35 pm 

Also, even if Wake Forest interviewed Porter (which I don't think they will), I don't see how that job/school is in any way a better fit for him than the St. John's job he turned down a year ago. No need to worry about this job opening.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:54 pm 

More good coronavirus-related news