It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 pm 

One of the things I was concerned about going into this year was how we were going to make it work with Kennedy and Clemens. This many games in, I have to say Porter has done a fantastic job with how he manages both of them. They both have been consistent contributors almost every game. Kennedy is the best player off the bench in the Valley.

I am happy for Mullins getting a head coaching job, but the next few years I’m going to be sad we don’t have him whenever I see him on the other end of the floor. What a good guy! It’s funny how coaches develop a unique style, in that there were moments in the game where I thought to myself, “woe, the way they are running looks a lot like us!” No doubt in my mind that with time, he’s going to build SIU into a competitor, catch some luck with a team, and maybe end up with a gig in a power conference.

I’m a little worried about Krut. Really hoping it’s a cramp like he said. I’m not terribly worried about the Illinois State game, but we need him at 100 percent for Indiana State and UNI.

Pipkins and Uguak both had bad games with similar, limited minutes. One of them is going to have to rise up and contribute if we are going to compete against the other top 3 teams for a title.

18 assists, only nine turnovers, 50% from three. This team is getting better at everything they struggled with early on. That’s a great sign!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:09 pm 

Good post, Toledo. I agree with all of what you said, so I'm assuming it is 100% correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:21 pm 

Did anyone else notice how low energy the fans were tonight compared to the game last Saturday or the MoSt game? There were no students at either of those games, but Gentile was rocking. Decent student crowd tonight, but they make no noise.

I find it interesting that Bruno is earning more minutes in conference play, taking minutes away from Jalon and Pax. He’s played well the last two games. Must be killing it in practice. Love Bruno, but would rather see Jalon get more minutes and also see Pax get some minutes to develop.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 pm 

rambler95_99 wrote:
Did anyone else notice how low energy the fans were tonight compared to the game last Saturday or the MoSt game? There were no students at either of those games, but Gentile was rocking. Decent student crowd tonight, but they make no noise.

Wasn't the most exciting game, to be honest. We took control with an 11-0 run that spanned like 8 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:13 am 

rambler95_99 wrote:

I find it interesting that Bruno is earning more minutes in conference play, taking minutes away from Jalon and Pax. He’s played well the last two games. Must be killing it in practice. Love Bruno, but would rather see Jalon get more minutes and also see Pax get some minutes to develop.

It’s true the game never really felt as close as the score ever was. There’s a big talent differential and ISU doesn’t have any huge play maker to get anyone nervous. There were really no flashy plays in the game - we just simply wore them down over time. It didn’t help that we were only in the 50s with 5 minutes left and they never got out of the 40s.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:45 am 

SIU packed it in and at times tripled Cam. Benson is big enough to stand his ground. Separation finally came when the fellas started to back door right when the entry pass went to Cam. The one ref didn't give us a call for a long while. That stuff always amazes me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:36 am 

good to see the 3 pt shooting coming along.....looks like a lot of teams are going to double Krut in the post.....so we will need someone he can kick to and can hit the 3....If Kennedy continues to make the 3....yikes....they double Krut,,he kicks to Kennedy...the rush Kennedy off the line and like a lightening bolt he is at the rim... then they gotta try and pick their poison.
I thought SIU played well....just did not shoot well... Couple of their young guys are just going to get better and better....Benson yikes....zero rebounds...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:56 am 

Benson has great hair, but everything below the scalp line sucked yesterday.

What's amazing to me about Kennedy is not only how high he jumps but how fast he gets up from a standing start. He takes off like a surface to air missile.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:15 am 

SIU’s ball movement actually looked great. They just could not hit outside shots, and don’t have anyone to attack Krutwig at the rim. On a good outside shooting night they can probably compete with the middle of the pack in the Valley.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:44 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
SIU’s ball movement actually looked great. They just could not hit outside shots, and don’t have anyone to attack Krutwig at the rim. On a good outside shooting night they can probably compete with the middle of the pack in the Valley.

Absolutely agree. They had some nice sets that ended in at last 7 or 8 wide open 3's. They just don't have the bodies. Domask is gonna be a great one for them though.

Kennedy keeps getting better; what a shot in the arm off the bench. I’m a bit worried that by starting 8 games he’s ineligible for sixth man, but I definitely think he’d have be among the early front runners if possible. Also I just have to say, Clemons is so tough. Loved that after the game that he said all he cares about is winning. There’s nothing flashy about his game, he just has great intangibles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next