It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:42 am 

bits us in the ass! How many of us were already making plans for Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:44 am 

25...I agree that the mental, emotional may have played a part in us not playing our best game......It seems like in the moment that the win over U of I was like having won the tournament. It had to feel like it...on the other hand stats from SHOT Quality indicated we played well enough to win but didnt hit the good shots we got....looking forward to watching the boys (and girls) in person next year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:42 am 

It had zero to do with the outcome of the game.

There was no chance they overlooked the PAC 12 champs.

OSU had a great defensive game plan. Give them the credit they deserve. Loyola missed open shots. It happens. It wasn't due to arrogance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:00 am 

AMDG wrote:

OSU had a great defensive game plan. Give them the credit they deserve. Loyola missed open shots. It happens. It wasn't due to arrogance.

I agree with this. We couldn’t hit the ocean from the beach, but we had a lot of chances. Other than shooting, we did everything we needed to do to win. Not many turnovers, great defense, and not only did we get great looks, they were great looks from our best shooters...heck, even though we missed some late free throws, we still hit over 70% of those.

We just missed shots we would probably make 8 out of 10 times. On the flip side, they made some really tough shots they probably miss 6 times out of 10. That’s basketball. It happens. Just sucks that it happened in the tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:29 am 

The arrogance of certainty is a broader concept that basically says, there is a natural let down after facing adversity and you let your guard down. I AM NOT SAYING THE TEAM WAS ARROGANT OR COCKY BUT THERE IS CERTAIN LOSS OF URGENCY.
Better to be hungry because after a big meal you are full.
Some people call it a trap game.
Among the fan base, a lot of people I talked to in Indy where trying to decide to drive home and then come back Monday or stay the weekend in Indy. There was an atmosphere of "we got this!"
Sorry you interpreted it as the team was arrogant. That was not my intent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:02 pm 

01grad wrote:
AMDG wrote:

I agree with this. We couldn’t hit the ocean from the beach, but we had a lot of chances. Other than shooting, we did everything we needed to do to win. Not many turnovers, great defense, and not only did we get great looks, they were great looks from our best shooters...heck, even though we missed some late free throws, we still hit over 70% of those.

We just missed shots we would probably make 8 out of 10 times. On the flip side, they made some really tough shots they probably miss 6 times out of 10. That’s basketball. It happens. Just sucks that it happened in the tournament.

Yep. If we shoot only mildly terribly, we probably win. That we were in it with as bad as the shooting was is a testament to the team and coach.

As for the OP, I think it's just a matter of expectations for us as fans. A sweet sixteen appearance is a huge success, it was just hard not to dream big after beating the Illini.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:13 pm 

As many others have stated I think the team played well, and I do not think they looked past OSU. The players and coaching staff always preach that they're laser focused on the next opponent ahead of them. This game came down to OSU hitting hard shots and us missing easy open shots that had been falling for us at a high rate since Arch Madness. It reminded me of our series with SIU before Arch Madness when we were in a shooting drought but were able to grind out two wins. I was really hoping a draught like that wouldn't resurface, you can't expect to beat a team as good as OSU when it does. SIU is one thing but OSU will make you regret missing your open shots.

I was in attendance for the game and I was blown away by how close it was. If you were strictly watching the game without looking at the score it seemed like it was a complete blowout. Everything was falling for them and we couldn't seem to get anything to go through the net. I'm not upset with anyone on the team or the coaching staff for this game. OSU won because they shot 90% from the line and we shot 70% and couldn't hit threes for the life of us. It was so hard to watch the constant open threes not dropping. Our FT's were fine aside from the one player that has been struggling all season. I'm really proud of this team, I knew OSU was going to be a rough game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:07 pm 

Definitely proud of the players, the coaches, the AD and staff.
A great season no doubt. Who would not take a MVC first place, an Arch Madness championship and a Sweet Sixteen appearance?
Outstanding in all regards. Hats off for sure.