It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:19 pm 

Custer now on Mullins staff? Hmm, that's interesting....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:46 pm 

any win is a good win....but again this team at this point has some holes. If you look at the box score you say how did we win.....I am thinking turnovers was the answer....They had 19 ..we had 6 much better than the start of the year.
1. Free throw shooting.....although I think it is going to get better
2. 3 point shooting.....i dont think it is going to get better. (Kennedy spins is and Tate is a slinger,..)
3. Coach Moser is a great defensive coach,,,,,and we seem to be getting everybody in a defensive rhythm with everybody on board.
4. Ugauk is turning into a role player and if the turnovers stay low...it works

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:52 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
4. Ugauk is turning into a role player and if the turnovers stay low...it works

Oogie had a key bucket in the paint late too

Have to disagree with you on Tate. He can shoot it and has a track record. Today wasn't his day but MSU was limiting him. Odd how they put a small guy on Krut. IMO they were a bit lucky he missed some easy shots. We did a great job feeding him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:21 pm 

Looked like Wojcik' s brother and parents sitting across from Loyola bench. Point guard recruit for 2021.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:43 am 

Toledo, re Custer in Carbondale, did you see him on tv, because I can't find anything about it online?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:17 am 

My wife apparently follows him on Instagram (which I don’t have or care to learn how to get). She was a huge fan during the final four run. Right before we sat down to watch the game, she said, “So why isn’t Custer on the staff anymore?” I told her I didn’t know what she was talking about, and then she wanted to know why he was in Carbondale at a game and not on our bench.

Maybe he still is on the staff but just doesn’t have to go to the games? I have no idea. I do know he wasn’t on the bench again, and he wasn’t there for Valpo either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:47 am 

He was never officially on our staff, as far as I know. He seems to be trying to figure out if he wants to get into coaching.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:34 pm 

Maybe scouting other Valley teams?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:38 pm 

I think it will be interesting to see what Missouri State does when we have to play them on the road. That will give me a good idea of what I think about Ford as a coach. I don’t know if Missouri State has done it for all their games, but it was fairly obvious that their strategy is to walk the ball up the court every possession, stand around and run the shot clock down to about 10, then pray they can make something happen. It’s a boring brand of basketball, but if you have a team you are playing that isnt good defensively (unlike us), and gets frustrated with pace, you probably can win with it. Plus, if you’re not going to drive the lane on offense and just keep jacking up threes and long jump shots, limiting possessions doesn’t necessarily help you. We beat their plan perfectly by feeding Krut and not falling into the trap of chucking up 3’s (we took 10, they took 23) (we took 38 shots inside the arc; they took 28).

If they try that same strategy next time, and don’t make a concerted effort to shut down Krut, I bet it’s going to be another loss for them.

Missouri State seems like a prime example of the difference between a bunch of “athletes” vs. a “team.” With the talent they have, they should not be 7-8.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:54 pm 

And also how they guard Krutwig next time. If they start with Hall guarding him straight up, Krutwig's liable to have 10 points in the first five minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next