It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:17 am 

ahunte, this is a hard list because the tough losses were so different. The Wichita St loss at Arch Madness was tough because we started to believe we could win when they were the better team whereas Coppin St was a horrible game that we should've won easily.

I think the 2013 HL tournament loss to Youngstown St was the toughest loss that season, and may put that in it if I were to make the list. We kept losing close games that year (6 conference losses were by 3 points or less), and I remember watching that game and my heart said we'd win, but my gut said we'd lose at the end. We lost, and I can still see the Youngstown student section "storming" the court. That one was hard.

Also, Butler from January 21, 2010. Had a couple chances at the buzzer and ended up losing by 1 to the team that came just short of the NCAA championship.

Cannot argue with #1 at all. I watched the replay of the game once and will never watch it all again. I think I can watch up until Marques cramps on the 3 point shot. After that, I can't. I really believe if he didn't cramp there, we win the game. And that makes it harder because he didn't do anything wrong.

Thanks for the depressing memories on a Friday...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:36 am 

RamblinTank22 wrote:
I think the 2013 HL tournament loss to Youngstown St was the toughest loss that season, and may put that in it if I were to make the list. We kept losing close games that year (6 conference losses were by 3 points or less), and I remember watching that game and my heart said we'd win, but my gut said we'd lose at the end. We lost, and I can still see the Youngstown student section "storming" the court. That one was hard.

Thanks for the depressing memories on a Friday...

I remember feeling the same way about that game. I wanted us to pull out a close win so badly. And you're welcome!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:28 pm 

Michigan is definitely #1 for me. You’re right, given where we started the decade it’s hard to be upset given that it was the Final Four...but, on the flip side to that, it was the Final Four and we were 7 or 8 minutes away from playing for a National Championship! Add to it what came out after, that Jackson was hurt early in the game, it’s just filled with “so close!!!!” frustration. San Antonio was almost depressing the two days after that, compared to what it likely would’ve been like, and many of the Michigan fans who bought seats in our section were absolutely horrible (including one near fistfight between a Michigan and Nova fan).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:20 pm 

01grad wrote:
Michigan is definitely #1 for me. You’re right, given where we started the decade it’s hard to be upset given that it was the Final Four...but, on the flip side to that, it was the Final Four and we were 7 or 8 minutes away from playing for a National Championship! Add to it what came out after, that Jackson was hurt early in the game, it’s just filled with “so close!!!!” frustration. San Antonio was almost depressing the two days after that, compared to what it likely would’ve been like, and many of the Michigan fans who bought seats in our section were absolutely horrible (including one near fistfight between a Michigan and Nova fan).

What could have been....if Jackson didn't get hurt, if Towns didn't cramp, if we didn't have our worst three point shooting game of the year....

I thought Nova fans were the worst of the bunch down there. A lot of "daddy's money" entitled vibes from their fan base. Saw a lot of big arguments between KU and Nova fans during their game and then on Monday between UM and Nova fans. Obnoxious Nova fans were the common denominator.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:46 pm 

In terms of toughest losses I always remember Jan 1 2017 against ISU; the gym was packed with ISU fans bringing in banners (it was there NIT season). It was basically an ISU home game, we lost by 22...

The second matchup was just as tough as a Ben Richardson halfcourt heave got halfway down before rolling out at the buzzer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 pm 

That New Year's game made my initial cut.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:42 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
01grad wrote:

What could have been....if Jackson didn't get hurt, if Towns didn't cramp, if we didn't have our worst three point shooting game of the year....

I thought Nova fans were the worst of the bunch down there. A lot of "daddy's money" entitled vibes from their fan base. Saw a lot of big arguments between KU and Nova fans during their game and then on Monday between UM and Nova fans. Obnoxious Nova fans were the common denominator.

I watched a Loyola fan bloody a Kansas fan a row or two behind me during their semifinal game, so we were not immune.
I enjoyed the Nova fans I met, good looking bunch, but Michigan fans were the worst, almost as bad as Tennessee!