It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:13 am 

Just finished watching the replay and credits to Mosier. That is the closest to a half court game Valpo has had to play. Also the best defense Freeman has seen this season. 15 to 13 turnover edge was another surprise!

On your poll I voted Loyola at #3 and mentally I've placed Valpo a 5 or 6. Nothing I saw tonight has changed that thinking.

Lottich will be a good coach but this is his first group that reflects his personal approach to the game, and he appears to still be learning with the team.

Both of these teams will be better by March and maybe someday you will finally get a chance to see Fazekas in uniform.

Until then best of luck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:09 am 

Overall, I was happy with the game.

This was one of those games where the other teams inability to put someone against Krut gives us the advantage right out of the gate. Another solid game from him and I predict double-doubles are going to be a consistent stat for him in Valley play.

Having Clemons at the point really makes a world of difference for us. He’s playing great, not turning the ball over, and scoring.

Pipkins is the real deal and I’m really glad he’s getting a good chunk of minutes and stepping up to the challenge.

Tate struggled shooting but still got 12 points.

Kennedy still looking great driving, but I’m more impressed with his ability to put himself in position to get rebounds. He had 6 last night.

Uguak and Williamson struggle again. If Williamson gets hot again - we are going to be tough to defend.

Does anyone know what the deal with Frank is? Is he still recovering from being sick, or is it something more?

I am now legitimately concerned about our free throw shooting and how it will effect our ability to close out games. 30 chances and we miss 11 of them... 63 percent is not acceptable. This needs to change quick because if it doesn’t, it could end up costing us at least 2 or 3 wins.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 am 

What all of you have failed to mention as a positive is that we are not committing as many fouls as our opponents,especially recently.This allows us to make more free throws than them,in spite of our unimpressive FT percentage.It also keeps our guys on the floor,not in foul trouble.Great defense- few fouls,a key to success.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:18 pm 

It was a good win. Any win on the road is a good win. We played defense. The Clay kid was on fire. If he does not hit every shot, then we walk away with a double digit win. I like the way Porter is using his players. They seem to work together well. I would like to see them work Williamson into the offense early. All the newcomers have talent and seemed engaged. I like their progress. You can see that the players are getting acclimated to playing together. I am looking forward to 2020 and the next decade of Ramblermania.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:28 pm 

I stopped by the Valpo forum to see their thoughts on the game. To me the general consensus is that we’re not good and they are, but they start too slow and their coach isn’t good enough.

A few were pretty butt-hurt about offensive foul calls against them. I personally thought all the offensive foul calls were correct, and we did a great job of getting in position and taking them. I thought there were two bad foul calls on Valpo to start the second half, and the foul on Tate toward the end when Valpo shot the long two (correctly changed from a 3) and made it was absurd. I was glad the refs got to review it so they could see Tate never touched him. Overall I didn’t feel like the officiating was terrible. If they want to be mad at fouls - Freman-Liberty knew he had 4 fouls with under 1:30 left and chose to foul to send us to the line, effectively taking himself out of the game. Huge mistake that benefited us.

It’s nice to be on the opposite end of owning a conference team. I think we are 7-0 against Valpo since they joined the Valley. I think they have a promising team though and I’m actually impressed what Lottich has done after what looked like a dumpster fire with players at the end of last season. They kind of remind me of our program a few years ago after joining the Valley when it looked like Porter was running players off. JFL just might be their Milton Doyle that comes in and saves them from Valley disaster. In my opinion, Doyle single-handedly changed the outlook of our program and was the catalyst for the resurgence. JFL seems like he could do the same for Valpo. I’d caution Valpo fans on piling on Lottich... at one point some of us were doing the same thing with Porter, but it all ended up working out.