It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:20 pm 

Monday, December 30, 2019 7:00 p.m.
Athletics-Recreation Center, Valparaiso, Ind.

After graduations and mass defections from last year's 15-18 team, Valpo was another one of those teams that was a big question mark headed into the 2019-20 season. So far, the Crusaders have played very well, even if their 7-6 record isn't very impressive.

Valpo came close to knocking off Cincinnati at the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands, losing by four points in overtime. A few weeks later, Valpo had a three point lead over Arkansas with 1:30 left before falling 72-68 on two quick threes and free throws in the closing seconds. Add solid wins over Toledo, Central Michigan, and Grand Canyon, and there's a sense that the Crusaders can make some noise in a more competitive MVC this year.

Leading the Valpo charge this season (and leading the MVC in scoring through non-con play) is one of the defections after last season, 6'3" sophomore guard Javon Freeman-Liberty, who decided to re-join the Crusaders when transfer options didn't pan out. He's averaging 21.8 points per game and leads the team with 5.8 rebounds per game, leads the league with 2.5 steals per game, and has more than twice as many made threes as any other player on his team. The only two seniors on the team are injured transfer Ryan Fazekas and former walk-on John Kiser, so in a very real sense, only 13 games into his sophomore season, this is Javon Freeman-Liberty's team.

The other starters are 5'9" sophomore point guard Daniel Sackey, 6'5" senior guard/forward John Kiser, 6'8" forward Mileek McMillan, and 6'7" freshman forward Donovan Clay. McMillan is the team's second leading scorer at 8.9 per game; Sackey does not shoot very well from the field and averages only 6.9 points per game, but he leads the team with 4.8 assists per game.

The top bench players are Seton Hall transfer Eron Gordon (a 6'3" guard), 6'9' freshman forward Ben Krikke, and 6'5" junior guard Zion Morgan (a UNLV transfer). Two substantial players have been injured the past several games: 6'5" guard Nick Robinson (a St. Joe's transfer) has been out since Dec. 16 with a bad back, and Ryan Fazekas has been out since mid-November with a left wrist injury.

Valpo plays the swiftest tempo in the league. They want a hectic, back-and-forth style game. They lead the league in steals, and they've forced their opposition into an average of 17.2 turnovers per game. In their near upset against Cincinnati, Valpo forced the Bearcats into 22 turnovers; they made Arkansas commit 18. The Crusaders have the best turnover margin in the MVC (Loyola is third). And here's one more contrast that might play a big factor: Valpo is third in made three pointers in the MVC, and Loyola is last.

The Ramblers are coming off an eight-day break following a disappointing 59-56 loss to Davidson where the Ramblers led for much of the second half. At 8-5, Loyola is 1-1 in true road games this season and 3-3 in games played away from home. Valpo is 4-0 in home games this season.

Loyola game notes: https://loyolaramblers.com/documents/20 ... _30_19.pdf

Valpo game notes: http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/v ... 19_LUC.pdf

TV/Streaming video: ESPN + https://www.espn.com/watch?id=b56507d9- ... aiso-US-EN

Radio/Streaming audio: https://loyolaramblers.com/watch/?Live=15&type=Live

Live stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=277454

Vegas odds: Loyola by 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:50 pm 

Thanks JCT for taking the time to provide a great preview.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:04 am 

JCT u may be up for the Sportswriter of the Year. Have been fun,informative previews. Questio, how does Valpo create their up tempo? do they press? etc. With our occasional turnover issues...how do you c this playing out? anyone watch Valpo this year?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:45 am 

Anyone else going to the game tonight? Is there a pre-game meet up? Go Ramblers. Should be a fun game. Loyola: 72, Valpo: 61

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:23 am 

Lucas in the lineup tonight per Nick Schultz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:26 am 

natetheskate wrote:
JCT u may be up for the Sportswriter of the Year. Have been fun,informative previews. Questio, how does Valpo create their up tempo? do they press? etc. With our occasional turnover issues...how do you c this playing out? anyone watch Valpo this year?

I watched the Valpo win over Central Michigan a couple of weeks ago. They were way ahead when I tuned in, so it may not be typical. They applied light pressure, they shot early in the shot clock. They try to force turnovers, and they're good at it-- especially at home where they don't get called for light fouls on steal attempts.

They are very thin with their injuries, so they are especially vulnerable if we get them in foul trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:31 am 

We opened in Vegas -1; currently at -3.5.

In the past Porter chartered a bus to drive students to Valpo. With the students on break for this game, I wonder if Porter would at least consider paying for my gas? I'll send him an email. I have a PayPal account.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:22 pm 

ramblermgr9599 wrote:
Anyone else going to the game tonight? Is there a pre-game meet up? Go Ramblers. Should be a fun game. Loyola: 72, Valpo: 61

Tix thru the school are DD. Should be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:32 pm 

Your board is formatted so differently than the Valpo board that it slows me to a crawl. Last night I'd put together some observations for you but I got sidetracked, then timed out and lost everything. :cry:

I doubt if Fazekas is ready to play but Robinson might be and he is needed. Sackey and Freeman create chaos and turnovers. A grind it out half court style battle is a certain Loyola win. Eron Gordon is just now starting to contribute.

I'll try to add more after the game and the replay. Later

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:15 pm 

Is anyone else’s feed on ESPN+ extremely slow/choppy?