It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:57 pm 

Just curious, but were you at the game or are you going by the stats?

Either way, I generally agree with your conclusions.

For what it's worth, I went to the game. What struck me the most (and what is consistent with my observations of the scrimmage) is that the players don't seem to be playing with any kind of joy or emotion or intensity. Few smiles, high fives, fist pumps, etc. They look, frankly, glum, like they would prefer to be somewhere else. It's like they've punched a time clock and are performing their jobs in a workmanlike but uninspired way, waiting to punch out. I think the team's lack of intensity is best reflected in their poor defensive showing. Lewis had all sorts of open looks at the basket, which resulted in their high shooting percentage, and Loyola's press at the end of the game was wholly ineffective.

If I am correct that this is the team's prevailing attitude, then the onus is squarely on the coaching staff.

My other take away from the game is regarding Tanner Williams. At the scrimmage he played in obvious pain. He was in street clothes for the Lewis game. I frankly wonder if his basketball career at Loyola is in jeopardy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:33 pm 

Socrates wrote:
... get ready to watch a young, mediocre team for four months

I will gladly accept mediocrity, something close to a .500 season. I am afraid it will be something far worse with so many pre-conference road games and then the upgrade in league competition. You have to love this time of year when it can be argued that we are at 1.000, .500, or .000.

For what it's worth: I know Turk is working on his defense, but yesterday he was often the basketball version of Starlin Castro on both ends of the floor. Osborne has much better court sense this year. Sadly, he seems to have passed the malady on to Cody Johnson. I saw some promise in the stronger Matt O'Leary. The team defense and the free throw shooting were appalling. No one ever adjusted to the back screens Lewis was running. They took control of both end lines, shot very well, and won the game.

What's the story on Milton Doyle? Christian Thomas needs him to avoid being triple teamed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:35 pm 

Thanks Swella. Have to say I'm kind of surprised to be optimistic. We'll see how I feel at Thanksgiving, too. I'm going through this season with an alcoholic fog and a measured level of fatalism. When we go 4 minutes without scoring, I'll just try and chuckle rather than weep.

Turk often looked lost on defense and the threes drained by Lewis weren't exactly absurd shots. They were regularly wide open. Jeff White actually got into the lane with some success, which led to some open threes for Loyola but no one seemed willing to just pull the trigger. I hope Porter doesn't have them gun-shy. Honestly, what does this team have to lose by chucking up threes. Already often at a talent disadvantage, the Ramblers need some unconventional tactics. Who cares about disciplined play if it's going to yield another 16 footer clanging off back iron? Chuck it up.

As for the defense, I don't know if it was lack of passion or lack of court awareness, but simple pick-and-rolls and, at one point, a goddamn weave, left Ramblers defenders out of sorts. This season can go from mediocre to bad just by giving up 60% shooting from the field.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:04 pm 

I am thinking that the loss of all of our assistant coaches has made a difference. Not saying the new guys aren't good but that the staff is 80% new that has to take a toll in teaching and with a young team YIKES

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:14 pm 

My working hypothesis is that Porter is a control freak whose didactic, micro-managing coaching style has sucked all the joy out of the game and made the players gun shy, afraid to make mistakes and unwilling to take risks.

The latest evidence of this is during one timeout Porter had the players line up in two rows, with the starters seated and the reserves standing behind them, with King and Johnson (the 2 tallest players) on either end. It looked like a freaking choir, with Maestro Moser conducting.

Lighten up and let 'em play!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:34 pm 

Sorry John' I read nothing positive about Picket poor shot selection and Turk turnovers---etc. We lost to a minor league team by double digits---Decent teams do not do that--ever.

As you know , normally I am an optimist--have been for years--but this----this just stunned me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:17 am 

swellafelon wrote:
My working hypothesis is that Porter is a control freak whose didactic, micro-managing coaching style has sucked all the joy out of the game and made the players gun shy, afraid to make mistakes and unwilling to take risks.

I'm not discounting the possibility that you are right, but in fairness, it's hard to play with a lot of joy when you are getting lit up for 60% shooting. Pulling the ball down from the peach basket every possession isn't much fun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:48 am 

Fair enough.

I also think the lack of fan support at the scrimmage and exhibition game may have contributed to the glumitude.

All I can really say for sure is that if I had to listen day after day to Moser lecture like he did at the open practice I saw, I would be glum...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 am 

After seeing the score and reading the reviews contained herein, I'm really glad I was at a wedding on Saturday. In fact, it appears that I will be glad that I will be in New York this weekend.

Prove me wrong Ramblers...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 am 

I wasn't there, but tough loss. Wouldn't sound the alarms yet, though. Long preseason this year and I think (hope) maybe the guys are too used to playing against each other. Never want to lose an exhibition, but it's a learning opportunity - hopefully they can get some good tape on what they're good at and what they need to improve on. I'll be there Friday and can write up my observations afterward.

63 made a comment about Turk's turnovers - if I had to guess, they'll go up this year. Last year he rarely touched the ball outside of a scoring situation, and this year I think he'll have more responsibility in ball handling.

There will never be any real evidence, but seems a lot of guys are dinged up. That's not uncommon for this time of year, but I wonder what kind of impact the transition of the training staff will have (hoops and other sports).