It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Second Thoughts?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 am 

Second thoughts? Sure?? I expected this team to compete for the top three spots and then be ready to win Arch Madness.
Still can happen as Calipari of Kentucky said after the home loss to EVANSVILLE, what you do in February and March is more important than what happens in November. I would certainly expect some adjustments by this team since the starting backcourt is being replaced with the loss of Custer and Townes.
That said, I can respect the tongue in cheek approach to this vexing start of the season. I never expected losses to Indianapolis and Coppin State. Neither of those teams seemed awed by playing in the Joe. As a matter of opinion both Indy and Coppin seemed to have a swagger about them.
We lack that confidence and hence swagger but it will come.
As for concerns, it looks like number 167 St. Joe is not really a 167 (nor are we a 107 as in one preseason poll) and even IUPUI can be a challenge.
Those games lead into the Cayman Island tourney with a lead off game against preseason South Florida at 55 and also potentially New Mexico State.
Those who post regularly on this board, I have no doubt, will stick it out through thick and thin but it is very disappointing to start so slow especially when DePaul appears to be on the upswing. Not surprised if some jump off the bandwagon and stay away. That is the nature of sports today both on the college and pro level. My 35 years of following the Ramblers will continue as I have lots of memories OF REALLY BAD BASKETBALL. This is nothing relatively speaking.
As for Porter, I have confidence that he does not have second thoughts about staying at Loyola. He did get a nice raise and extension, has a great new home that he purchased from the Rickets, has his daughter at the school and playing on the women's team and is widely respected by radio, tv and print media.
Las Vegas where he was offered the job had something like seven coaches in seventeen years, Arkansas and LSU were never offered. I don't blame him for kicking the tires and using his leverage to advantage at Loyola. St. John's? If the alums can drive out the legend Chris Mullins, imagine how they would have reacted to a midwesterner. The AD did not want Porter, his boss did so that was not good, the BQE is not Lake Shore Drive, the cost in New York is 30% higher thus negating the 2.23 million offer and Queens is not Wilmette. New York is a different world for sure.
We are also lucky Porter stayed because Mullins had already committed to SIU, Matt Gordon would have followed Porter, Jevon Menon would still have joined Bryan at SIU and ALL OF THE RECRUITS signing LOI's could have reopened their search and we would really be up the creek without a paddle.
So,, lets just tough our way out of this bad batch, as I have confidence that we will still have a very good season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:18 am 

25yearstreak wrote:
I never expected losses to Indianapolis and Coppin State. Neither of those teams seemed awed by playing in the Joe. As a matter of opinion both Indy and Coppin seemed to have a swagger about them.

Great post, streak. This has been bugging me, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:23 am 

I thought the difference was some of the uncontested offensive rebounds we gave up. Possessions will be the key for a PM team.
I really like the new guys and I'm optimistic. Rebounding will be the key this year.
It's a good thing that the final four is in the rear view mirror. Time to build again!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 pm 

The last time I visited Greybee (All Souls Day to leave him his favorite candies - M & M's and Strawberry Twizzlers); he mentioned that he was cautiously optimistic about the season. After the last couple of games, I find the Rambler's defense of their missed 3's very puzzling. Shooting 19% in the last game (4 of 21) means 17 rebound opportunities for Coppin State. With all 5 Ramblers going back on defense, that left Coppin State with uncontested rebounds (I cannot remember if a Rambler managed to snag one or not). It seems like the team could send at least one player to the board to challenge for the rebound.

I'll see what Greybee has to say on my next visit. He says he does appreciate that spelling is not a problem now and that his Latin has come in handy at times!