It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
My question is, this year, if we're down by 3 with no shot-clock at the end of the game, who do we even want shooting the ball? Is it Tate Hall? Williamson in the corner? At this point, my pick would be Krutwig, who I think is shooting 100% from three for his career...

I'm assuming you're kidding, but Krut is indeed a career 100% shooter from three, having connected from the corner on his solo attempt to beat a shot clock.
Also there is a post somewhere on Twitter about Krut beating kicker Robbie Gould in a 3 point shooting contest and Porter commenting that he hoped that wouldn't go to Krut's head and turn him into a long range bomber in games.
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing Krut take some jumpers from the high post. He hit a 16-18 footer against Davis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:59 pm 

Doesn't anybody do research around here anymore?

Krutwig is 1/3 in his career. Last time I checked, that is 33%.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:07 pm 

shyhyme wrote:
Man this board is getting way too negative for my liking. I look at is this year and see a situation similar to what Wichita State had last year, except we have way more injuries. The experience our young guys are getting is invaluable and will pay off.

I'm kind of with this. We have 4 players who’ve played D1 ball for more than 2 games. Two are excellent players, Aher is a bit up and down, and Bruno’s… Bruno.

The desire for instant dominance after the Final 4 is understandable, but it’s worth noting we didn’t have tourney experience before hand, so we missed out on the recruiting ramp up that a few appearances brings. If you look at a team like Wichita: they made the NIT, then won the NIT the next year, then made the tourney, THEN made it to the Final 4. We meanwhile went zero to sixty, from 18 wins to the National Stage.

Sure the last year we had two strong seniors returning, but the 2016 freshman class of Skokna, Chastain, and Satterwhite was an overall miss. Leaving us without a strong junior class to support our seniors. Honestly, outside of Jackson and Townes that class was a relatively large swing and miss (can’t forget the other JUCO’s: Vlatko Granic, Treyvon Andres, and Igor). That carries on today as we have a void in senior leadership. A JUCO guard in in the last recruiting class would have helped, but we lost a on a few transfer recruiting battles (Cashaw who would have played last year, and Prentis Nixon who would be running point this year… we also missed out on a couple of graduate guards who would have played this year as well).

Speaking of recruiting classes, it’s also worth noting this recruiting class is really our first impacted by the final four run. Tate Hall and Tykei Greene were the only recruits signed after the run (Kaifes, Agunanne, and Bujdoso were Fall signees). Kaifes was a hit, and I think Agunanne has a real chance to be a nice player for us. But both are out at the moment, so the experience/knowledge they gained can’t be utilized on the court.

This current crop of recruits is the most talented we’ve had under Moser’s tenure, but their heads are understandably going to be spinning for a bit. New game speed, new offense, new defense, new teammates, new target on their back. This isn’t a case like a few years ago where 2 freshman (Lucas and Krutwig) could lean on 5 four-year players to cover up their errors, always be in the right spot, and take the pressure off them. This is 2 juniors stepping into sole ownership as leaders + Uguak, with a completely new team trying to learn the D1 game… Oh and they’re playing with a freshman point guard who’s probably playing out of position… and there’s no available back up… At this point trying to win now and playing for next year are one in the same. The fact is we return everyone, and with injuries/roster make up this entire team is returning minus Bruno.

I don’t really say this all as an excuse, as much as it is the reality, we have a young but talented team that’s being thrown into the fire. Pipkins and Clemons (when healthy) should adjust relatively quickly. Pipkins while not perfect, has definitely looked better in each game offensively. Tate practiced with the team last year, but practice isn’t the same as playing under the lights and there’s still an adjustment, though again, I think he’ll adjust more quickly. Then there’s the three freshman, who will likely have high points and low points throughout the year. For as much as I loved Cooper last season, he disappeared for stretches of games. That said I think Kennedy will be a special player; and him being thrown into the fire allows him to learn a bit faster rather than getting a quick hook.
The shooting problem is real, but it’s important to acknowledge that it’s not something that’s been ignored. Clemons was 40% shooter in JUCO taking about 3 a game, + Norris (a proven pg) and Kaifes were both above 45% as FRESHMAN who shot at volume. Circumstances make this frustrating, but the teams in a great spot when looking down the line.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:15 pm 

Re Krut's three point shooting percentage, I stopped doing research a few years ago. Making stuff up is so much easier, and it always supports your argument.

P.S. Mr. Fact Checker Kill Joy, are you planning to debunk or rebunk my Robbie Gould claim? If I'm right about that I went 1/2, which is 50% the last time I checked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm 

I did some more research. Here are the career 3P%* for our nine currently eligible players, ordered by number of attempts:

Bruno 29.6% (47-159)
Lucas 41.9% (62-148)
Uguak 17.9% (5-28)
Pipkins 45.5% (10-22)
Hall 14.3% (1-7)
Kennedy 0.0% (0-4)
Krutwig 33.3% (1-3)
Wojcik 0.0% (0-1)
Welch 0.0% (0-0)

*Stats from KenPom.com which excludes non-D1 games.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:03 pm 

So you take this KenPom guy at his word but not me or Toledo?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:41 pm 

While it was a joke about Krut... I went to look at the "statistics" on ESPN, which are purely hearsay documents with no proper predicate laid for admissibility..... and

it's alleged that he missed 2 three-pointers:

December 1, 2018 against UIC; and
January 19, 2019 against Indiana State.

If those are true (show me the video), I bet they were half-court heaves at the end of the first half (which I'm not arguing aren't "attempts").

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:06 pm 

Can't make the game tonight. Expect detailed real time descriptions of the play from those in attendance.
I will supply my own commentary...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:42 pm 

Only 10 guys suited up tonight. Pax and Jake the latest injured Ramblers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:44 pm 

According to the Twitters, Pipkins starting instead of Kennedy tonight. I’m guessing it’s Porter still trying to get a feel for what lineups work best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next