It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 pm 

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:00 p.m.
Gentile Arena, Chicago, IL

The Ramblers return to the friendly confines of Gentile Arena Tuesday night to begin a three-game homestand against Coppin State, St. Joseph's, and IUPUI. The Coppin State Eagles come to frigid Chicago with shooting hands as cold as the early chill. The Eagles as a team are shooting 29% on the year from the field, and only 20.5% from distance.

An 87-63 thumping at the hand of Furman showed a lot of holes in the Ramblers approach and readiness for the season. Loyola's 22 turnovers were the most they've had in a game since committing 23 turnovers against Bradley on Feb. 22, 2014. The Paladins shot 55.4% from the field against the Ramblers; only four teams shot that well against the Ramblers all last season and only one in 2017-18, all of them losses.

The Eagles began the season with a close, competitive game against Rider at home, and lost badly at Virginia Tech on Friday. Picked to finish 7th in the 11-team Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, the Eagles landed one player, 6'2" junior guard Dejuan Clayton, on the MEAC Preseason First Team.

CSU will start Clayton, 6'7" guard/forward Andrew Robinson, 6'4" guard Kamar McKnight, 6'6" guard/forward Koby Thomas, and 7'1" sophomore center Brendan Medley-Bacon. McKnight (15.0), Robinson (12.0) and Clayton (10.5) average double figures in points; Robinson (8.0), Medley-Bacon (6.0), and Thomas (5.5) lead in rebounds.

Despite their size, CSU doesn't rebound very well (they've been out-rebounded 100-83 in their two games thus far), and their field goal shooting percentage woes have already been noted. But what the Eagles do very well is force turnovers. Coppin State averages 19.5 opponent turnovers so far on the season, forcing 24 turnovers against Rider and 15 against Virginia Tech. CSU is averaging 9.5 steals per game, and their turnovers have afforded them 22 more shots from the field than their opponents.

If the Ramblers are going to work out the bugs on taking care of the ball, facing Coppin State at home is a good way to do it. The quick-handed Eagles will be on the lookout for attention lapses, and the Ramblers need to tighten up the ball-handling. Even if Loyola plays as badly in terms of holding onto the ball as they did at Furman, they're still very likely to get the win comfortably, and some newcomers are likely to get some double-digit minutes against a team that trades on steals and turnovers.

Loyola game notes: https://loyolaramblers.com/documents/20 ... _12_19.pdf

Coppin State game notes: Pending

TV/Streaming video: ESPN+ https://www.espn.com/watch?id=a0595f65- ... yola-US-EN

Internet audio feed: https://loyolaramblers.com/watch/?Live=4&type=Live

Live stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=279999

Vegas odds: Loyola by 23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:05 pm 

OK I was woeful in my forecast on the Furman debacle , so here I go again --Ramblers wni big---- 84 55 !!!!

Our team ha lot to prove -- And prove it they shall--GO RAMBLERS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 pm 

It looks like it’s also scheduled to be on NBCSports Chicago+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:11 am 

Brot....still gonna ride your years of wisdom.....calling my bookie today.....Taking the Ramblers to cover...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am 

Definitely an opportunity to get right, but we have to flip the script on turnovers, especially with our current lack of 3 point shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:43 am 

been a lot of discussion on the new guys fitting in and how many new guys we have....curious if in Coaches head he is coaching for next year or this year or both.... I am guessing that he is gunning for the Valley again and will use the non-con to figure it out....then the rotation will shrink. gonna be fun to see who improves and where this team goes....but truthfully my head is on next year......hope Im wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 am 

natetheskate wrote:
been a lot of discussion on the new guys fitting in and how many new guys we have....curious if in Coaches head he is coaching for next year or this year or both.... I am guessing that he is gunning for the Valley again and will use the non-con to figure it out....then the rotation will shrink. gonna be fun to see who improves and where this team goes....but truthfully my head is on next year......hope Im wrong.

I'm not sure that it would change the way he coaches either way. He plays to win. Yes, there is a recognition that we have a lot of teaching to do, but I am 100% sure he believes he can get it done this year. He's certainly not willing to toss the season away because we're struggling to shoot threes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:13 am 

Nice words for me NATE and danke !!!!

---Our team WILL figure this out-- This evening will start it--I believe. When our hurt guys get back, we will be tough to beat--I truly believe this

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am 

He's definitely coaching for this year. To me, there is still no clear-cut, runaway favorite to win the Valley... and with the way injuries go, it's going to be anyone's tournament again this year.

I feel bad for Porter because there are really just two problems with this team (turnovers and three point shooting), and he has two quick fixes for those sitting on his bench that he can't use. Norris last year proved that he could run an offense and distribute the ball without turnovers. Kaifus is a proven sharp shooter. Having either or both of those guys available would have went along way towards correcting the early season problems we have.

I still have the fear that three-point shooting is not going to get better this year, but the turnovers should go down as our newcomers get more and more playing time. My question is, this year, if we're down by 3 with no shot-clock at the end of the game, who do we even want shooting the ball? Is it Tate Hall? Williamson in the corner? At this point, my pick would be Krutwig, who I think is shooting 100% from three for his career...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:25 am 

Man this board is getting way too negative for my liking. I look at is this year and see a situation similar to what Wichita State had last year, except we have way more injuries. The experience our young guys are getting is invaluable and will pay off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next