It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 am 

It is somewhat irrelevant and I do agree with most points that have been made here.

But technically Jalon Pipkins has played division 1 before. He was at CSUN for a year (granted in a limited role) and appeared in 23 D1 games before going to Paris CC. Just as long as everyone keeps tossing out the (valid) experience excuse: Krut, Aher, Lucas, Bruno, and Jalon all had D1 experience before this year and played yesterday. All have played better teams than Coppin State.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
As 20+ point favorites at home against a team sure to finish in the 300s in KenPom, this is the most humiliating loss since....?

The 70-35 loss at Missouri State last year was arguably more humiliating, but I'm digging through past schedules... here's what I came up with for bad home losses:

- 12/18/2013 - Northern Illinois, L 55-59
- 12/03/2014 - Tulane, L 83-70
- 12/16/2015 - Cleveland State, L 60-54
- 01/13/2016 - Bradley, L 54-53

Of those, that Cleveland State game was probably the worst. The others are at least halfway decent programs, unlike Coppin State. I would have to say that last night takes the cake.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:
As 20+ point favorites at home against a team sure to finish in the 300s in KenPom, this is the most humiliating loss since....?

The 70-35 loss at Missouri State last year was arguably more humiliating, but I'm digging through past schedules... here's what I came up with for bad home losses:

- 12/18/2013 - Northern Illinois, L 55-59
- 12/03/2014 - Tulane, L 83-70
- 12/16/2015 - Cleveland State, L 60-54
- 01/13/2016 - Bradley, L 54-53

Of those, that Cleveland State game was probably the worst. The others are at least halfway decent programs, unlike Coppin State. I would have to say that last night takes the cake.

My mind immediately went to Cleveland State.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:59 pm 

Can someone tell me what Uguak does?!?! People keep taking about him like he is some special kind of player and I have never seen it. He can dunk when wide open, but otherwise he always seems to be missing free throws and never takes a jump shot.
So that leaves us with two viable good players at this point, Krutwig and Williamson, and Lucas couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn last night.
Pipkins looks like he will be useful, but I’m guessing he still feels like he will get benched if he makes a mistake and is playing that way.
While last nights game was an abomination, I can’t say I didn’t think it might happen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:34 pm 

shyhyme wrote:
Can someone tell me what Uguak does?!?! People keep taking about him like he is some special kind of player and I have never seen it. He can dunk when wide open, but otherwise he always seems to be missing free throws and never takes a jump shot.
So that leaves us with two viable good players at this point, Krutwig and Williamson, and Lucas couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn last night.
Pipkins looks like he will be useful, but I’m guessing he still feels like he will get benched if he makes a mistake and is playing that way.
While last nights game was an abomination, I can’t say I didn’t think it might happen.

This year he’s averaging 3 turnovers a game and roughly 7pts and a few boards. Last season he was averaging 6pts a game, 3.5 boards and his FT % was 70%. I think His issue this year is confidence and turnovers, which hopefully will change soon. Did you watch our game last year against Creighton? He put up 18pts and he’s done the same a couple other times. He we need his height and athleticism right now especially with frank being injured. He also had a very high Average FG % last season. With that being said I’ve seen the spark more than enough times, the issue is he has regressed from the end of last season. I’m hoping he snaps out of it and regains some confidence but losing to Coppin State doesn’t seem like a good start for that. I’d be happy if he could just stop turning the ball over for now, I think the rest will come back with time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:29 pm 

This game got me thinking about bad losses over the years and then some of the more memorable losses over the years. Recent success nothwithstanding most of my memories of the last 20 years of Loyola basketball while fond, involved losing. Digging through the stats, 2000-2001 produced a bunch of bad losses and fond loss memories.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html

I believe the Chicago State loss was Jerrell Parker throwing an inbounds pass to attempt to tie the game off the rafters resulting in a turnover and loss.

I went to the game at Louisville, it was cool to see Freedom Hall and Terry Grant's two-handed dunk at the buzzer, it sealed a Loyola Ramblers cover in a 16 point loss. I believe that was his last game as Rambler as he did not make the grades to play again. It was a great 14 games.

The loss a few days later at home to Loyola Marymount is one that sticks in my head. They had barely enough players to field a team and pulled out the ten-point win.

So while this loss does suck, know that there were plenty of worse ones out there and they were happening when it was common knowledge that there was not hope to be had for the future.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:40 pm 

BigJoe1963 wrote:
This game got me thinking about bad losses over the years and then some of the more memorable losses over the years. Recent success nothwithstanding most of my memories of the last 20 years of Loyola basketball while fond, involved losing. Digging through the stats, 2000-2001 produced a bunch of bad losses and fond loss memories.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html

I believe the Chicago State loss was Jerrell Parker throwing an inbounds pass to attempt to tie the game off the rafters resulting in a turnover and loss.

I went to the game at Louisville, it was cool to see Freedom Hall and Terry Grant's two-handed dunk at the buzzer, it sealed a Loyola Ramblers cover in a 16 point loss. I believe that was his last game as Rambler as he did not make the grades to play again. It was a great 14 games.

The loss a few days later at home to Loyola Marymount is one that sticks in my head. They had barely enough players to field a team and pulled out the ten-point win.

So while this loss does suck, know that there were plenty of worse ones out there and they were happening when it was common knowledge that there was not hope to be had for the future.

My biggest memories from that year were the atmosphere of the Michigan State gameday (a National tv truck on campus back then almost seemed out of place), and it seemed like most of our conference games were close. I forgot we beat St Mary’s that year. Probably wasn’t a big deal back then, but that’d be a great matchup now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:00 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
shyhyme wrote:

This year he’s averaging 3 turnovers a game and roughly 7pts and a few boards. Last season he was averaging 6pts a game, 3.5 boards and his FT % was 70%. I think His issue this year is confidence and turnovers, which hopefully will change soon. Did you watch our game last year against Creighton? He put up 18pts and he’s done the same a couple other times. He we need his height and athleticism right now especially with frank being injured. He also had a very high Average FG % last season. With that being said I’ve seen the spark more than enough times, the issue is he has regressed from the end of last season. I’m hoping he snaps out of it and regains some confidence but losing to Coppin State doesn’t seem like a good start for that. I’d be happy if he could just stop turning the ball over for now, I think the rest will come back with time.

In a different system I think he'd be great. But he's not good for the 4 out. His man always shades to Krutwig on the perimeter because teams know he can't/wont shoot. Offensively I'm almost curious if he'd be better served as a small ball 5 and stagger his minutes with Krutwig; but i doubt he has the ability to effectively defend the 5 (not that you would expect him to at his size).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:06 pm 

The Jerrell Parker throw in loss at Chicago State was our first (only?) loss to Chicago State.... It was tied and we had possession with about 5 seconds left. Parker was going to make a long throw across the time line, and it hit the rafters to hive possession to Chicago State. Johns was the last name of the 7 footer who shot the free throws.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:11 pm 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gl ... da02d.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next