It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:43 am 

individual +/- for me is a pretty useless stat because it doesnt take into account who you are playing with. I prefer unit metrics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 am 

440Rambler wrote:
I prefer unit metrics.

Hey, no judgment here. Whatever floats your boat!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:03 am 

440Rambler wrote:
individual +/- for me is a pretty useless stat because it doesn't take into account who you are playing with. I prefer unit metrics.

I did look for the five man lineup numbers, but it doesn't look like the Stats Broadcast site has them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 am 

You mean "Unit" is a 5 man lineup and not what I thought it was?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Do you guys put any stock in plus/minus?

I think that plus/minus can be useful. I do prefer to look at it for a unit rather than an individual. But, I think you can never overreact to one game because there's a lot of "noise" in just one 40 minute game. For example, if you are on the floor when the other team's shooter gets hot and buries a few contested jumpers, you're numbers are going to look worse. Also, giving up an easy layup because your teammate turned the ball over is the same as losing your man in halfcourt D. That stuff tends to even out over time but if you take just one game, anything can happen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:06 pm 

24 hours after playing us, UIndy played Xavier in an exhibition game. Xavier ended up winning by 12, but it was much closer than that most of the game. It was a one point game at halftime.

Xavier is ranked 19th in the preseason AP poll.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:34 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Not only did I have to watch that stinker of a game, but I also literally got punched in the face by Big Joe during a timeout. He also broke my glasses.

The cheerleaders were throwing wadded-up tee shirts into the stands like they always do. One was coming right to me when from behind Big Joe stuck his Big Claw in my face trying for the interception. Despite the clear interference I held on for the completion.

The tee shirt came in handy for wiping up all the blood pouring out of my nose.

They were throwing t-shirts?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:55 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Do you guys put any stock in plus/minus? I'm not sure what the view is among the statheads, but it stands out that in a game we lost by 5 points, Kennedy was a minus-15 and Wojcik was a plus-10.

I really like +/-. It helps me factor in the things that don't show up in the traditional stat line. It also helps me quantify things that don't show up at all in the stat lines, like defensive factors, intensity and floor leadership. I was intrigued by +/- because the Butler fans were believers back when they were putting together the program that went to two straight National Championship Games. I became a convert to +/- when I started seeing the numbers that Ben Richardson and Donte Ingram put up when they seemed to have a bad game on the official stat sheet.

Yes, +/- can be subject to huge fluctuations when players see limited minutes. But so can official stat sheet numbers. To me it gives a better measure of defense than simply steals, rebounds, and blocks. It's the kind of stat I would use to make broader decisions on the value of players like Aher, who have stat lines that show conflicts, or vary widely from game to game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:09 pm 

Well played Big Joe. Made me laugh.

Where should I mail the bill for my new eyeglasses?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 pm 

BigJoe1963 wrote:
swellafelon wrote:
Not only did I have to watch that stinker of a game, but I also literally got punched in the face by Big Joe during a timeout. He also broke my glasses.

The cheerleaders were throwing wadded-up tee shirts into the stands like they always do. One was coming right to me when from behind Big Joe stuck his Big Claw in my face trying for the interception. Despite the clear interference I held on for the completion.

The tee shirt came in handy for wiping up all the blood pouring out of my nose.

They were throwing t-shirts?

This is one of the things that keeps me coming back to this board. That and Blers' unique sensibilities.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next