It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:39 pm 

LU has 3 scholarships dedicated to point guards (1) Keith Clemons, out for about 5 weeks with an injury, (2) Brandon Norris out for a red-shirt year as a transfer student, and (3) Marquise Kennedy.

Kennedy finished 6th highest in the AP vote for the 2018-19 high school All Star Basketball team for the top Division, 4A. He was the 4th highest among seniors & 2nd highest among senior guards.

While Kennedy should be starting at the point as the season begins, I don’t expect the freshman to be playing 40 minutes a game.

With only 4 scholarship players on the bench, none of them point guards, LU is lucky enough to have another point guard available.

He is senior walk-on Jake Baughman, who has practiced with LU for 3 years. In high school he averaged 5 assist per game, 15 points per game, 7 rebounds per game, and was chosen for his All-Conference Team.

He may not be a 1st team All-American, but he may be just what LU needs off the bench for the next 5 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:52 pm 

As I recall, he came to LU as a preferred walk-on. He was a buddy of Chastain's and I believe played on the same AAU team with Chastain. Baughman stayed when Chastain bailed on us and now he may be running point on a better team than his much heralded former teammate plays for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:33 am 

This is wacky even by Fleet Wolf 1 standards.
Jake Baughman is a solid citizen,
valuable practice player and All-World Towel Twirler, but on the point guard depth chart he is behind, in order: Marquise Kennedy, Bruno Skokna, Paxson Wojcik, Lucas Williamson, Jalon Pipkins, Tate Hall, Aher Uguak and maybe even Cameron Krutwig.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:56 am 

I love these posts.

It's an art form. It's brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
I love these posts.

It's an art form. It's brilliant.

Agree. Fleet Wolf's posts have a certain strange, otherworldly charm to them. They pop up randomly (usually late at night) and almost always come straight out of left field, unrelated to anything that's going on at Ramblermania at the time. They're meticulously researched mini-essays that usually advocate some crackpot theory.
I call them "Magical Realist Message Board Posts".

Last edited by swellafelon on Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:18 am 

I mean for awhile we had London Dokubo getting playing time while a walk-on. It wasn't a lot but he did come in for a couple minutes here or there to help rest the guards. So if there are times where we need a little rest or someone to come in at the end of the 1st half to foul since we've got some to give, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jake in there. I wouldn't expect a lot of playing time unless it's a blowout, but he may get in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:22 am 

Agree that Jake might get in at the end of blowouts and as a designated fouler, but that hardly constitutes the "answer" to LU's backup point guard situation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:32 am 

swellafelon wrote:
Agree that Jake might get in at the end of blowouts and as a designated fouler, but that hardly constitutes the "answer" to LU's backup point guard situation.

Jake coming in and sacrificing his body and soul during those blowout games 100% constitutes as the answer. He’s the hero LU needs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:48 am 

Don't get me wrong. I like Jake Baughman. Don't mean to dis Jake Baughman. DO mean to dis Fleet Wolf 1.