It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Publicity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:05 pm 

Veritas wrote:
Please stop digging.
What was a "real dick move" was Nick IN CHICAGO embarrassing those poor students that knew nothing of the Ramblers, basketball program, or the gym in which they were standing while giving an interview. I feel badly for those guys!

Sorry, but I'm not digging. I'm also sorry that you can't see that the report in question was total bullshit. "I've got an idea! Let's set up a shot right next to a sign saying when the next game is and then stop a student and ask them when the next game is! Then, after they answer, we can make sure we zoom in on the sign!" Besides the fact that I can say with almost complete certainty that they interviewed more than were shown in the report, who cares if they didn't know the answer? Ultimately, these students are there for an education, not for attending basketball games. If they decide to go to the games (as I did during my time), great!

Quote:
As far as competing for entertainment dollars, Chicagoland is about 10x the size of the Wichita metro area, yet your school which is about the same size of WSU can't sell out 1/2 of the games in a 4,000 seat gym because the students and Alums would rather watch the Bulls and Hawks on TV??? Or go to a bar and dinner during the game??? Gracious man, it's ChicagoLand! A lot of people live there. Let's hope you can do better than that.

As for the size of the city...this is a problem that is not unique to Loyola and Chicago. How does Fordham do for their games? In 2012-2013, they averaged 2,225. They are similar in size to Loyola and are in a big city, just like Loyola. Or Loyola Marymount in LA? They averages 2,234 last year. That's half capacity for a team that was coming off a good year (a year where they also averaged about 2,200). I'm sorry, I just don't buy your arguments. Teams in big cities have significant challenges to attendance and sell outs. It's the reality of being in a city with a lot of entertainment options.

Quote:
You need to take the KWCH interview as a true barometer if AT LEAST 1/2 of the games are not sold out in the MVC.

No, I'm sorry. I don't. I've been watching Loyola basketball a hell of a lot longer than you. I know the intricacies of the fan base and the student body. You coming in here an pretending to have all the answers is incredibly ignorant and pompous. Now, I don't know you from Adam, but I would think that you may want to defer to someone with more knowledge on the matter. I'm not suggesting I am that guy (there are people on here who have been fans a lot longer than I have).

Quote:
By the way.... I know who Butler is, but who is MSU and KSU?

Michigan State and Kansas State.

Quote:
Additionally, are you telling me Drake will draw better than Wichita State??? Not a good sign.

No, I was not suggesting that. I was simply illustrating that the bottom of the MVC is a better draw than any portion of the Horizon. I fully expect WSU, ISUblue and UNI to draw particularly well. Further, I expect Bradley, SIU and ISUred to draw well (due to a great deal of alumni from those schools in the Chicago area)

Quote:
1/2 is the goal "GoRamblers", otherwise you need to strap on a sandwich board and start marketing the games around campus.

I don't disagree, "Veritas," that we need more attendance. But you would be foolish to believe that Loyola isn't marketing...that we aren't out around campus trying to pull in students...that we aren't doing everything we can to encourage people to come to the games. As I previously mentioned, there is an awful lot of competition for entertainment dollars in Chicago. Loyola could be ranked and we would still be talking about attendance. I'm sorry that you don't see it this way, but facts are facts.

Quote:
I think I have higher faith in LuC than you do...

Not at all. You just don't have enough information or experience with the situation to know what will and won't happen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:48 am 

Very nice retort GoRamblers.
I would be remiss however, if I didn't point out that:
-- ksu's star was Pullen who is from Chicago. I'm sure that brought out most of the Rambler fans in contrast to seeing the 3rd or 4th best team in the state of Kansas
-- Using Fordham or Loyola Marymount are not good examples as both are rather.... underperformers. St Johns which I believe is in NY averages over 8,000, and UCLA surely averages over 9,000 (too tired to look it up).

Anyway, I can tell you have a lot of Pride for LUC. I respect that and certainly find it encouraging.

Best of luck this year in the MVC except of course when you play the Shox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=580k4HBEyEs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:30 am 

I doubt Pullen had much to do with the draw. At the time that game was played, KSU was the #5 team in the country. They were coming out for the Nationally Ranked team...not the player.

Also, I used Fordham and Loyola Marymount for a very specific reason: They are Jesuit schools in big cities. Further, they are just like us. Certainly St. John's is going to draw larger. Part of the reason why they have a larger draw is because they play in the Big East. That goes to my argument of better competition having a better draw. That said, I believe they are an outlier. The great majority of schools in big cities have trouble with attendance. Certainly there are other factors that add to the problem, but my argument is this: greater competition for entertainment dollars means lower attendance.

Glad we could have this conversation. Come on up some time for an LU v. WSU game and we'll have a beer and hopefully talk about how much of a surprise LU has been.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:41 pm 

Looks like a great opportunity for LuC to take over the Chicago market.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/11/25/314278 ... epaul.html