It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: MVC 2019-20 Predictions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:16 pm 

Over on MVCfans.com, there's a thread about the College Sports Madness Top 144 Predictions. They have UNI winning the MVC, ranked #86 out of the top 144, and earning a 14 seed autobid to the NCAA Tournament. Missouri State comes in at #100, Bradley is #114, and Loyola checks in at #130. Murray State checks in at #96, for those interested in MVC expansion.

It's WAY early (not even a complete schedule out), but I thought I'd pick out what everyone's thoughts are. Based on my opinion, my limited knowledge, my gut, etc., I see the field this year in three main groups:

Top contenders: Missouri State, Bradley, Loyola. These three teams will almost certainly win 10 games or more. They're the most experienced teams, the most apt to win big games in crunch time, and have the most mojo headed into the season. Unfortunately, the early scheduling glimpses from these teams shows a very narrow pathway to automatic bid territory. One of these teams will have to win a big early game to get on the radar for at large consideration, and then they'll have to finish near the top of the league for a chance at an auto.

Middle of the pack: UNI, SIU, Drake. These teams could jump into the mix among the top three, especially if any of them have a key injury. All three have impressive coaches, two of whom have shown they can make something out of a bad hand, and one that is one of the most admired and sought-after assistants in the Midwest. Any of these teams could probably still pull off a hot streak in St. Louis that could get them into the tournament.

The pretty good also-rans: Evansville, ISUr, ISUb, Valpo. At least two of these teams might be not so bad this year. Excitement is running high in Evansville, and the recruits are pretty impressive. There's a lot of coaching experience at the two ISUs. Valpo has a lot of pieces and the opportunity to take a new approach this season.

That's how I see it right now. Opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 am 

Really tough to predict with so many new faces, but as you mentioned, there is a lot of reason for optimism. One thing I'm looking for is teams to jump from 130-180 Kenpom range into the top 100 or 120.

Missouri State, Bradley, UNI, and Loyola could all do that. You'd have a close league race like last year, but with improved teams which would be a lot more exciting.

Also, last year our bottom four teams (ISUr, ISUb, Valpo, Evansville) were 200-230. I could pretty easily see improvement there as well, making the Valley a top 10 league again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:03 am 

So many new faces...Are there any teams returning more than 3 starters? Interesting to me is that it seems almost every team added a big dude center to keep King Krut from climbing the Empire St. Building ......Think we will have to wait for non-cons to see what the new rosters around the league look like , then the first half to see how they look in the Valley and then the race to the finish...getting excited already.
I do think that LU's Final Four run really shook up the Valley...I think everyone thought that once WS left the league they were the team that would just slide in and then we have come to look like the dominant team.....and all of a sudden new coaches, lots of transfers..etc. S
Should be an exciting year in the Valley....cant wait.