It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:21 pm 

I disagree with the article's analysis of PM's record, but I agree that he is not a good fit at UNLV. He is not an offensive coach and his style would not play well in certain markets. However, it would play in the Big Ten, ACC and Big East. The article discounts the stability he has brought to the program, the fact that LU successful made the change from the Horizon to the MVC and the back to back 20 win seasons. There are coaches that have been hired with less of a resume and they were given big time opportunities, like Todd Lickliter, Fran McCaffrey, and Scott Drew. None of these coaches had extensive resumes and all of them came from conferences that were less respected than the MVC. I am not his agent, but it would not take much to sell what he did at Loyola as more of an accomplishment than what Tony Bennett did at Washington State. If you are an AD at a bottom dweller in the Big Ten, ACC or the Big East - you could get behind PM. You don't think PItt, BC, Northwestern or Vandy wouldn't consider PM, if they had the opportunity?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:34 pm 

Didn't the Vanderbilt job just open up?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:06 pm 

Let me change gears from silly to serious and raise the ante on the Moser to UNLV story.

I now have information from a seemingly reliable source that Moser was indeed offered the UNLV head coaching position, but turned it down.
Here is a slightly edited version of what the source told me:

"UNLV officials were in town last week to meet with the Moser camp. The offer was around 1.6-1.7 million. It’s barely a bump for Porter so he turned it down. Nate Oats at Buffalo was their plan B but turned down a similar offer. There were rumors that unlv boosters could open their pockets for a salary of as much as $4 million for the “right” candidate (basically just Rick Pitino fits that mold). Their AD is cut from a really similar cloth as Calhoun (young, female, career ambitious). She knows a Pitino hire would doom her future career prospects as it’s such a massive middle finger to the NCAA. Porter is clean cut enough and will move their program in the right direction to the point where she can win the press conference at her next job. so she’s in this standoff with the boosters. Most likely scenario is UNLV hires a lower mid-major coach making around $400k who would jump at a million dollar salary. Porter will listen to these offers because you never know where those ADs end up, but there was a concrete offer and a concrete rejection on both sides. That’s why Vegas sources are now saying Porter is “unlikely” in an attempt for her to save face."

Now I can't completely vouch for the reliability of this information as I don't know how exactly the source acquired it. But the level of specificity lends support to its veracity. And the source himself has demonstrated in the past an insider's knowledge of the workings of the athletic department.
So take it for what it's worth...and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:10 pm 

Say what you will, but in my opinion my use of an unnamed source in the prior post has elevated this thread from "Pot-stirring Garbage" to "Speculative Reportage" in the highest traditions of internet journalism.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:50 pm 

One thing that sticks out to me is the offer of $1.6 mil being just above Porter's current salary. He is on much higher than I expected. His previous salary was around the $420k mark. Do we know what he is making now?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:50 pm 

So essentially, Porter has a number to move and that number is north of 2 million a year?

I listened to his interview on the score and I think he’s open to going somewhere, but not ANYWHERE. I think he stays put this year unless the right job for him (no complete rebuild) opens up at a major conference school in the Midwest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:53 pm 

Relevant link: https://www.pulitzer.org/page/how-enter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:13 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:

Now that's funny...Will you nominate me?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:57 pm 

Tweet thread also alleges he turned down Pitt last year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:05 pm 

Thanks Blers. Good research.

I guess the $1.6 mil was accurate.

Did anybody else hear about the Pittsburgh offer before? That is very interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next