It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:06 am 

THis post may reveal how I spent my time at LU....but what is happening to the bars....its like they are trying to purify the Campus..
What happend to Minstreal,s Baby Hughies,,,<,,,COme on Down......Pumping Company...Connelys.? All we got to hang on to is Brunos,,,,Dons Oasis and the Sovereign..........The closing of Hamiltons is a black mark on the soul of the University as well as renting out Irelands to the Bradly ALumni......
I think as soon as we know the date of the Bradley game next year......the fine members of Ramblermania should rent out Irelands and host their first annual meeting ....
Tough to find a place to celebrate Championships

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:28 am 

The renting out of Irelands to a group of Bradley fans was perplexing, to say the least. That being said, I do hope they enjoyed their experience at Gentile...especially the leaving part of it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:16 am 

Never heard of the first three, but there was a fire at Pumping Co a couple years ago. Don't think it's reopened. Bar 63, the former Hamilton's, also closed recently. If I recall some articles blamed management issues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:05 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
Never heard of the first three, but there was a fire at Pumping Co a couple years ago. Don't think it's reopened. Bar 63, the former Hamilton's, also closed recently. If I recall some articles blamed management issues

Bar 63 wasn’t paying its taxes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:11 am 

Blers42 wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:

Bar 63 wasn’t paying its taxes

That was it. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:01 am 

The closing of bars near Loyola is just part of a longrunning city-wide and national trend of taverns disappearing.
Here's a good article explaining why this is happening in Chicago and elsewhere:

https://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Maga ... ic-Legacy/

I was at Hamilton's so often during the 70s and early 80s that I might have been able claim it as my own property under the legal doctrine of adverse possession. My presence was definitely open and notorious, but more mellow than hostile.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:36 am 

As long as we're taking a stroll down memory lane, one night at Come On Down my buddies who played in a punk band "Vacant Lot" were opening for Steve Dahl and Teenage Radiation. The Lot's set got a lukewarm reception and Dahl, that fat no-talent clown in his Hawaiian shirt, opened his set by criticizing them.
Still pisses me off to this day.

Edited to add Vacant Lot video:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Last edited by swellafelon on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:46 am 

More Old Fogie Flashbacks:

Another good bar near Loyola (on Sheridan Road by the Evanston border) was Biddy Mulligans. It closed in early 2000s.
Biddys was known for hosting blues performers. I saw Queen of the Blues Koko Taylor and Lonnie Brooks. Also Taj Mahal, and Los Lobos when they were just gaining fame. I even played pool with one of the Lobos before their set.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 pm 

Huey's bar (demolished to make way for the Granada Center) also hosted some pretty big bands back in the Day: Cheap Trick and Ministry come to mind. I saw the LA punk band X there, who were once touted as the next big thi g but never quite made it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:20 pm 

Bumping for truth and so Swella doesnt have to do it.