It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Class of 2021
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:55 am 

RAMBLOR wrote:
Oh brother. "Culture," "values," "I'm happy here" etc etc -- aren't these obviously just buzzwords? Coachspeak? AKA fairly empty rhetoric. This was his job, what did you expect him to say? "Oh it's pretty OK here, but no I'm not 100% committed to this employer."

In fact, I hear from companies all the time that they are "100% committed to my satisfaction" and guess what? They aren't. I don't expect them to bend over backwards for me based on some boilerplate customer service language.

As fans people become emotionally invested, people bought into Porter's buzzwords etc. I understand it's his job, but people have a right to be disappointed. I thought he was invested in Loyola more than he actually was. I was let down when I originally discovered this, I'm over it now and excited for Drew and company. Porter using "Committed to Culture" at OU in the marketing campaign is what brought this all back up, it displayed that everything really was just "coach speak".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:31 pm 

My opinion is that it’s sensitive when a coach leaves, particularly after the success. BUT, I do think he was All In at Loyola. I don’t think any of it was BS, or coach speak etc.

When he got to town and talked about culture, it wasn’t ripping the former players, it was building his ideal culture of a team. And it worked.

Now he’s trying the same at Oklahoma. Success or Failure will be determined in 4/5 years.

Valentine will continue with the culture that was handed down to him, and make slight changes this year. I would expect bigger changes and his own imprint to be seen in years 2 and 3.

As someone who played in a culture with no curfew and lots of recreational drug use on the road, I can tell you one thing for certain, both PM and Valentine found players that want no part of that toxicity and are here to win.

To me, that’s culture. And you’d be surprised how little of it there is today across the sport.

Program is in a great spot to continue to succeed, I hope my reservations on Valentine are cut and pasted and sent back in a post sometime in March 2022!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:27 pm 

Rambling0101 wrote:
My opinion is that it’s sensitive when a coach leaves, particularly after the success. BUT, I do think he was All In at Loyola. I don’t think any of it was BS, or coach speak etc.

When he got to town and talked about culture, it wasn’t ripping the former players, it was building his ideal culture of a team. And it worked.

Now he’s trying the same at Oklahoma. Success or Failure will be determined in 4/5 years.

Valentine will continue with the culture that was handed down to him, and make slight changes this year. I would expect bigger changes and his own imprint to be seen in years 2 and 3.

As someone who played in a culture with no curfew and lots of recreational drug use on the road, I can tell you one thing for certain, both PM and Valentine found players that want no part of that toxicity and are here to win.

To me, that’s culture. And you’d be surprised how little of it there is today across the sport.

Program is in a great spot to continue to succeed, I hope my reservations on Valentine are cut and pasted and sent back in a post sometime in March 2022!

Agreed that the program is in an amazing position. I thought he was "All In" as in Mark Few at Gonzaga all in. I get that's rare but that's what I was referring to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:43 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
Rambling0101 wrote:

Agreed that the program is in an amazing position. I thought he was "All In" as in Mark Few at Gonzaga all in. I get that's rare but that's what I was referring to.

He never promised to be at Loyola for the rest of his career. Saying it's "Mark Few or bust" and then getting mad when Porter never promised that is unreasonable. Over the years Porter explicitly said he might not be here forever and then showed that by seriously considering other jobs. That in no way (in my opinion) diminishes the fact that he achieved a remarkable turnaround for the program and did it with student athletes every single one of us is proud of.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:46 am 

Anyone know when Josh Baker is expected to decide?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 am 

I think a quote attributed to Charles de Gaulle says it best about Porter Moser: "The graveyard is full of irreplaceable men" and it obviously means that nobody is irreplaceable. Porter worked assiduously to restore Loyola to hoops prominence. He received a lot of support and help, but much was his doing and we should be grateful. Whether he violated his own advice about not "running from happiness" time will tell. I would have loved it if he cherished Loyola as his dream job, but that's not the case. My hope that Porter was as great as he appeared to be is dashed, but that is my failing and not his. I just hope that Drew causes similar angst when/if he decides to Leave Loyola. Of course that's down the road and we should have some great seasons to enjoy for the next several years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:27 am 

jmiller2794 wrote:
Blers42 wrote:
Rambling0101 wrote:

He never promised to be at Loyola for the rest of his career. Saying it's "Mark Few or bust" and then getting mad when Porter never promised that is unreasonable. Over the years Porter explicitly said he might not be here forever and then showed that by seriously considering other jobs. That in no way (in my opinion) diminishes the fact that he achieved a remarkable turnaround for the program and did it with student athletes every single one of us is proud of.

I never said any of this, I strictly said I thought he was "All in" similar to Mark Few at Gonzaga. I understand that's partially my bad for thinking so. I was never mad that he left, I was disappointed. Yes, of course Porter leaving doesn't take away what he accomplished here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:24 am 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:40 am 

JerseyCityRambler wrote:

Looking like it will not necessarily be soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:52 am 

bmh_twosix wrote:
JerseyCityRambler wrote:

Looking like it will not necessarily be soon.

That Tweet is from Friday night, which makes me wonder if he was going to sign with us, but had second thoughts when Lucas and company announced earlier in the day they were coming back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next