It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Class of 2021
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:20 pm 

I'd be shocked if any 1st year guys start over guys who are in year 3 of porter's system, at least out the outset I think Kennedy and Welch are locks to start in the scenario you presented.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:01 pm 

This really is a pickle,,,,the rule which was probably created because we thought some seniors would miss their senior year this year (could still happen). Now we could have a traffic jam. Seems like so much will depend on how the season plays out, and educational and professional goals of the seniors. It would seem to me the guys that have been here and played 4 years Krutwig, Williamson would choose to leave and move on...This is Uguaks 5th year of basketball,,,,do you want a 6th? same for Tate Hall. This is only Keith Clemons 2nd year of Div.1 ball...he may want to come back. And as Toledo brought up , how do you be fair to the guys that have waited? which brings me to a thought...Welch as shown the ability to play inside and out but maybe only defend inside.....we have a 2 guys 6'7 coming in Anderson, KNight and 2 6'6 guys the Schweigers ..two traditional 5s but one who can play inside.out Hutson....and a bunch of guards who can hit the 3 and take it to the basket......THis made me think about what Northwestern did this year.....they went to a 5 out offense...choosing to use a more mobile 4 (Nance) as opposed. to Young(although he has contributed). they use 3 taller guys but who can all hit the 3 and go to the basket as well as pass, and two driving guards who can also hit the 3....and run this fun 5 out......I dont think Krut could do this as he never developed his mid or outside game........but would be perfect for Welch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3FSHGBELA&t=157s no matter just like the year 2020,,every direction seems problematic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:30 pm 

The NCAA senior rule is going to create scholarship traffic jams at a lot of schools because 1.) there are plenty of other senior laden teams and 2.) everyone, not just the seniors, gets an extra year of eligibility. We won't be the only school with this problem. If anything, I think there will be a trickle down effect of transfers to the point where even low-major teams will get better.

I honestly think all 5 players will play in the NCAA next year. Sure you'll make money overseas, but other than maybe Krutwig, none of them will make that much money in one season overseas that could really trump all the intangibles of an extra year of college basketball, especially if they find themselves on another NCAA tournament run.

Also, if guys like Tate, Keith, and Aher come back, what makes you think they'll start over someone like Welch? I could see Welch (or a healthy Kennedy) straight up jump those guys on the depth chart by the end of this year with their progressions. Therefore, I could see one of those three guys using their eligibility and leaving for another school too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:15 pm 

lusuperfan wrote:
The NCAA senior rule is going to create scholarship traffic jams at a lot of schools because 1.) there are plenty of other senior laden teams and 2.) everyone, not just the seniors, gets an extra year of eligibility. We won't be the only school with this problem. If anything, I think there will be a trickle down effect of transfers to the point where even low-major teams will get better.

I honestly think all 5 players will play in the NCAA next year. Sure you'll make money overseas, but other than maybe Krutwig, none of them will make that much money in one season overseas that could really trump all the intangibles of an extra year of college basketball, especially if they find themselves on another NCAA tournament run.

Also, if guys like Tate, Keith, and Aher come back, what makes you think they'll start over someone like Welch? I could see Welch (or a healthy Kennedy) straight up jump those guys on the depth chart by the end of this year with their progressions. Therefore, I could see one of those three guys using their eligibility and leaving for another school too.

It would hurt my heart, but I wouldn't fault Krut or Lucas going to a P5 for a grad transfer year if the opportunity arose. Heck, I'd root for them. It'd be weird, but I'd do it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:07 am 

While it still stinks. We’re in the ideal position of having a roster you can love from top to bottom. Ultimately we probably will have transfers; almost every team does. Rotations will shrink in tight games and the post season. I think at this point the top 8 are the starters + Quise, Keith, and Tom.

Chances are we’ll have an injury or two and have Cooper at guard as the next man up in the rotation. That said I’ve liked that Cooper has been getting into games early; when he’s hot he’s such a weapon... his passing is also greatly improved (defense is still a work in progress...).

I also think it’s possible there will be heavy minutes in tougher game 1’s (like Bradley) will allow for more bench time

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:00 pm 

Chiguy14 wrote:
I think it will be Norris, Kaifes, Schwieger (grad not freshman), Knight, Hutson.

If Kaifes starts and Kennedy doesn't, I'll eat my Final Four ticket stub.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:06 pm 

Would you like ketchup with that?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:12 pm 

Either Kennedy is starting on the 2021-2022 Loyola team, or he's starting for another team....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:32 pm 

JC64 wrote:
Would you like ketchup with that?

Just a Coke.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:49 pm 

Random thought I had listening to Moser on the coaches round table this morning. He was talking about his son losing his senior year season at Loyola Academy and how hard that has been.

Made me start thinking about whether his son would be a walk-on next year, and the implications of that. Haven’t seen his son pop up on any high school recruitment talk over the last couple years, curious to see if that materializes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 59  Next