It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Class of 2021
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm 

badsneakers wrote:
We have offered to Josh Baker, a 6' 4" PG, JC according to Verbal Commits.

Put up some nice stats as a freshman at Hutchinson CC and was an All Region Honorable Mention. Played all 32 games, started 27 of them. Averaged 32 minutes a game, shot 51% from the field and 48.7%(!) from 3pt on about 5 attempts per game. Tied the school's freshman record with 76 made threes. Also shot 85% from the free throw line.

13.7 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists per game on the counting stats. Had an assist to turnover ration of 1.1 on the season, but seemed to tighten it up a little in conference play (1.4 ast/TO).

Offers from Portland State, Pacific, Cal St. Bakersfield, UCSB, New Mexico, Grand Canyon, Rutgers, East Caroline, Houston, Seton Hall, and TCU. Also some mentions online that Arizona has interest and he's originally from Tempe. Other names I'm seeing mentioned as interested include Alabama, Marquette, ULCA, and Louisville.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:56 pm 

I like the write up! Seems like he would be more of a 2 than a PG at the D1 level based on those stats, but maybe his team needed the scoring.

Seems like a good grab if we can get him to commit soon. But with those P5 schools starting to show interest, I imagine he would want to wait for more offers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:13 am 

I LOVE his efficiency numbers. To me that’s the most predictive measure for success here, and part of why I was skeptical about Pipkins last year, who was more of a volume shooter at JUCO (he’s a talent no doubt, just think he needs a different offense to be at his best!).

Is there a JUCO season this year? Recruiting is so odd that I’m sure it’s hard to tell how much growth players have really had and requires more homework. I think we got a MASSIVE steal in Ty Johnson, I really believe he woulda blown up over the summer into a P5 player. It’d be great to get another steal at guard for next season...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:31 am 

Blers wrote:
I LOVE his efficiency numbers. To me that’s the most predictive measure for success here, and part of why I was skeptical about Pipkins last year, who was more of a volume shooter at JUCO (he’s a talent no doubt, just think he needs a different offense to be at his best!).

Is there a JUCO season this year? Recruiting is so odd that I’m sure it’s hard to tell how much growth players have really had and requires more homework. I think we got a MASSIVE steal in Ty Johnson, I really believe he woulda blown up over the summer into a P5 player. It’d be great to get another steal at guard for next season...

Per Hutchinson CC's website it looks there there will be. See here

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:59 am 

wonder if we have a Custer, Richardson connection here.....if there high school coaches are tight with the JC coach?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:20 pm 

Did anyone else see anything about a new rule going into place in January that would allow each school one no-sit transfer per year? I read an article today that said the NCAA is close to passing it, and it seems to me that if that is true then mid major schools like us are pretty much all but doomed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:41 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
Did anyone else see anything about a new rule going into place in January that would allow each school one no-sit transfer per year? I read an article today that said the NCAA is close to passing it, and it seems to me that if that is true then mid major schools like us are pretty much all but doomed.

I think you misread that Toledo. Believe the proposal is that starting in 2021 each athlete will be able to transfer one time in their career without the penalty of sitting a year. See this Sports Illustrated article for what I'm referencing.

While it could definitely hurt mid-majors, I'm all for it for the players. They should be able to make the decisions that are best for them. A coach doesn't have to sit out a year if he takes decides to leave for a new position.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:35 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
it seems to me that if that is true then mid major schools like us are pretty much all but doomed.

While, I think it probably will hurt mid majors as a group, I don't think it will necessarily hurt Loyola.

Players are much more likely to leave when they're unhappy. If a coach and a program treat players right, develop them as people and players, and give them a vision they want to buy into, guys much more likely to stick around. The past few years, plenty of players across college basketball have been able to transfer and play right away through the grad transfer rule or getting a waiver.

And what impact has that had on Loyola? Did Krutwig or Williamson parlay a big year on a Final 4 team into a transfer to a Big 10 or Big East school? Liam Robbins at Drake and Javon Liberty-Freeman at Valpo did it with a lot less exposure. Did Custer or Townes take a grad transfer and play somewhere else? Those guys and others all had opportunities to play at "bigger" or "better" programs if they wanted to, but they stayed. And I don't know them or their thought process, but I'm guessing they stayed because they enjoy Loyola, they believe in what Porter and the program is doing, and they want to be a part of it.

So I don't think the sky is going to fall just because this rule goes through. This is just another area where Porter's system and the culture he's built will be a competitive advantage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:59 am 

I agree with everything you are saying… As long as Porter stays. But if Porter would’ve gotten an offer from a Notre Dame, Ohio state, Michigan State, etc. after the final four run... I think Krut probably would have went with him if he didn’t have to sit a year.

Short term, the potential rule probably would help us in conference play. Other teams may not be able to keep their star player for more than a year. But unless we don’t stay at number one or number two in the conference every year, and we are a favorite for an NCAA bid out of the MVC, it definitely will hurt is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:53 am 

I'm not too worried about this, if anything it'll reinforce the way the team tries to recruit "we" over "me" type guys who are bought into the culture/team game. We've definitely had talent that could have chosen to left but decided not to over the years. And this rule works both ways. Some of our best players have been transfers... imagine Townes getting to play Doyle's senior year? Or adding Tate Hall to the 18-19 team that was desperately in need of a shooting wing?

We have yet to lose anyone to a "Transfer Up" under Moser... The majority have actually gone D2.. with a few going to lower D1's. To my memory here are our transfers the last 5 or so years (D2/JUCO/Overseas unless noted otherwise):

Jay Knuth, Julius Rajala, Pernell Adgei, Maurice Kirby (grad transfer to IUPUI), Vlatko Granic, Igor Cvorcic, Treyvon Andres, Matt Chastain (walk-on at ISU), Cam Satterwhite(NAU, transferred again to D1 Montana), Tyson Smith (grad transfer to UTRGV) Adarius Avery, Isaiah Bujdoso, Christian Negron, Jalon Pipkins (IPFW).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 59  Next