It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Welcome to San Antonio
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:27 pm 

Congrats guys. Love your style of bball. Similar to the SA Spurs! Sycamore grad who lives in San Antonio. I'm here to give you guys suggestions for where to stay, what to eat, where to visit etc....Enjoy the next week!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:33 pm 

SYC I stayrd at the Hyatt Riverwalk on my many visits to your great city--Best in Texas !! Question --Is that restaurant near the Pearl Brewery still there ?? You know, the one with the tree growing in the middle ?? I remember the fried Jalapeno peppers served on a huge platter !!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:24 pm 

Josephine Street is still there. DO NOT EAT ON THE RIVER WALK. Highly overrated. The Pearl has lot of good places to eat. also Market Square is about a 5 block walk from RW and has best Mexican downtown. La Fogata is about a 10 min drive from Downtown SA, great SA vibe there and really good margaritas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 pm 

THANK S Syc For the life of me i could NOT recall the name--I went there at least once trip--AHHHH ! Those peppers !! Steaks were good as well !! Thanks !!! The prime rib was GIGANTIC !! MEMORIES !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 am 

Capital One Fan Fest is at Gonzaels Convention Center. Is there free or cheap parking near there?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:19 am 

What kind of food is specific to San Antonio and Texas besides Tex Mex?

Is there a PappaDeux with all you can eat Lobster Day in Austin or San Antonio?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:33 am 

Gang !! I will of course let SYC tell you about all of everything BUT remember SA is an HISTORIC city--See as much as you can--As I said earlier that restaurant I Liked IS still there and is worth a try--Remember you will be in SOUTH TEXAS !! Longshot loved SA as do I-- She met me there lots of times--Never tired of the ALAMO and other historic spots--SYC will write about them I am sure !!

FOOD ??? LORDY !! It is fabulous !! GOBBLE it up and LISTEN--SA is truly a tourist Mecca and is proud to be so !!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:58 am 

parking isn't the greatest downtown. I'm sure they'll increase pricing a little. Cheaper parking might be about a 10-15 min walk to convention center.
Parking at the Alamodome is terrible, small parking lot.
Alamo is obvi main attraction of SA, there is a Ripleys Believe It Or Not Musuem that has a lot of neat stuff, even the car Lee Harvey Oswald rode in to work the day he assassinated JFK. Buckhorn Musuem is few blocks down, talks about Texas throughout years and wildlife of Texas.
downtown is pretty small so getting anywhere DT is easy.
There are 2 Pappadeaux in SA, one near the Airport and one North SA near UTSA Campus.
San Antonio BBQ is ok, not the best. Best is a little hole in the wall about 15 min from Downtown called Old Smokehouse BBQ. or 30 min drive to city of New Braunfels to a place called Coopers.
Hotels are expensive downtown. stay away from East, South and West side, it can get pretty ghetto. Northwest, North (UTSA, Stone Oak, Live Oak areas NE area) safest areas

Last edited by SycamoreinSanAntonio on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:05 am 

Also, if you want to get away on Friday night there is a music venue called Floores Country Store, great spot for Texas Country music. Randy Rogers Band will be there Fri and Sat, it holds about 4500 people, usually gets sold out. Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash all played there years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:38 am 

SycamoreinSanAntonio wrote:
Also, if you want to get away on Friday night there is a music venue called Floores Country Store, great spot for Texas Country music. Randy Rogers Band will be there Fri and Sat, it holds about 4500 people, usually gets sold out. Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash all played there years ago.

How long does it take to get from Austin to River Walk, etc with usual traffic? The map makes it look like it's only 60 miles away.